Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #13437
2019 Windsport 29M headlight/foglight issue

Hi all just want to tell you all who have a Thor Windsport on Ford F53 chassis of a potential problem you may all end up with having problems with.

We went on a one week trip up the coast into Oregon for California. Coach was running good except for the handling issue which has been covered here extensively. That has now been fixed, at my expense with front and rear sway bars and a steering stabilizer. CHF wasnt enough for me to drive long distances comfortably.

Back to headlights. So on the last night the low beams quit working as well as the fog lights. Everything with initial check found nothing that we could immediate identify as a problem. So..... a couple of phone calls and took coach to a Thor authorized repair facility who diagnosed the problem as "low voltage" in the steering column. So Thor had us then referred to a RV repair facility as it surely seemed to be a FORD issue.

Now three weeks later, FORD has declared that the fog lights switch and addition to the F53 chassis, is a THOR issue and addition. The fuse panel, block and relays are not "strong" enough to handle the additional voltage when the fog lights are used. The fuse block needs to be replaced as well at all that is attached to it as it literally melted the block, relay and wires.

Now waiting for the response from THOR and for them to acknowledge the fog light switch being attached to the "headlight" fuse panel was not done from FORD but an addition done by THOR.

So my question to them and awaiting a response is this...if it is true that the addition of the foglights and all wiring etc is not a FORD design, will THOR recall or at least advise all other owners of at least the Windsport models built with the F53 chassis as a potential problem and potential fire hazard.

THOR btw way have been very helpful and they are not passing the buck in any way up to now, however now someone has to acknowledge who is responsible so the repairs can be made and I get my coach back and on the road.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:46 PM   #2

Model: 29m
THOR #16201
Fuse Box

What fuse box block did it melt? Is it the one that is under the hood? is the problem that the fog lights and the low beam lights on the same circuit and they draw to much amps. I wonder if running led lights would help in this situation.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo 33.2
THOR #12839
That is scary, but also does not make sense that the fuse block should get hot from too heavy of load unless Thor increased the size of a fuse to handle the addition of fog lights on the same circuit beyond that which it was designed for (i.e. Thor put a 30 amp fuse in where the fuse block was only designed for 20 amp max).
Old 08-22-2019, 07:06 PM   #4

THOR #13437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinetools1 View Post
What fuse box block did it melt? Is it the one that is under the hood? is the problem that the fog lights and the low beam lights on the same circuit and they draw to much amps. I wonder if running led lights would help in this situation.
Yes the fuse block up under hood. I do not know all details other that FORD said it is not responsible as it did not build or intend for any other instruments/lights etc to be added to any of the pre installed panels.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #5

THOR #13437
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey View Post
That is scary, but also does not make sense that the fuse block should get hot from too heavy of load unless Thor increased the size of a fuse to handle the addition of fog lights on the same circuit beyond that which it was designed for (i.e. Thor put a 30 amp fuse in where the fuse block was only designed for 20 amp max).
It doesnt make sense at all considering that all the lights are on relays first then an actual fuse which none worked and allowed the fuse panel to melt! We will see as this goes forward...
Old 08-23-2019, 01:30 AM   #6

Model: 29m
THOR #16201
Good luck and please let us know what the outcome is.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:19 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
On my 2018 29M the fog lights are powered by the fuse box next to the e brake pedal. I know this because on mine the fog lights did not work at delivery. After some detective work it was discovered the factory had the fog light switch and emergency start switch wires swapped. After switching them around, the emergency start worked but not the fog lights. More detective work revealed the hot wire coming out of the fuse box was not connected. Fixed that and the fog lights then worked. My fog lights are a Thor installed item not Ford.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #8

THOR #13437
Update

So after 4 weeks of sitting in the shop with FORD and THOR arguing over who was responsible and who was paying for the repairs, THOR accepted the responsibility of fixing the issue to the tune of about $2000.00!

FYI Thor adds the foglights to the fuse panel where the headlights are wired. When the foglights are used it over heated the panel causing it to melt and the problems from that point on. A new wiring harness was purchased from FORD by THOR and the problem was fixed with the foglights now on an entire separate fuse and relay.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:55 PM   #9

Model: Palazzo 33.2
THOR #12839
Congratulations on seeing through to resolution and by the right party at that!
Old 11-14-2020, 02:06 AM   #10

THOR #21227
This must be the recall we just received for our Windsport 29M.

Tags
fog lights, lowbeam headligts