Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2018, 11:39 PM   #21

State: California
THOR #10562
Thanks again... appreciate you

Old 02-01-2018, 05:43 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAdriver View Post
Thank you Laco for your response and explanation. I am only 2 weeks old with my Gemini... could you tell me the absolute need for Ultra low sulfur fuel vs Diesel 2? This Ultra low seems a little harder to find on a normal
I've been using Diesel 2 so I was glad to see Laco's responding post re labeling. On a similar note, I put in some 20% bio-diesel at a Love's truck stop before noticing...seemed to run okay...I put in chevron diesel 2 well before reaching empty to hopefully mitigate any negative effect!
Regarding DEF on the Ford: You can scroll down (on left steering wheel buttons) through the trip 1, trip 2, then into to info. Says def okay or def below half full...that's when I top up. As mentioned you can continue on once the add def alarm comes on but then you will need to adding def a priority. Nancy
Old 02-01-2018, 05:59 AM   #23

THOR #10562
Thank you
Old 02-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #24

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
I've been using Diesel 2 so I was glad to see Laco's responding post re labeling. On a similar note, I put in some 20% bio-diesel at a Love's truck stop before noticing...seemed to run okay...I put in chevron diesel 2 well before reaching empty to hopefully mitigate any negative effect!
Regarding DEF on the Ford: You can scroll down (on left steering wheel buttons) through the trip 1, trip 2, then into to info. Says def okay or def below half full...that's when I top up. As mentioned you can continue on once the add def alarm comes on but then you will need to adding def a priority. Nancy
Most all Ford diesels do not have an actual DEF gauge. Cummins and larger diesels generally have dash gauges.

I generally keep my DEF at half or above. My experience is that you will use more when pulling loads over grades than regular level towing/driving. Even though I fuel at truck stops I usually buy my DEF at Walmart and add by the gallon.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #25

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAdriver View Post
... Also... is there a difference in Ultra low sulfur fuel? And Diesel 2?

ULSD is an EPA clean requirement and applies to all diesel fuel that is available commercially for on road use.
No.1 and No.2 diesel are grades of diesel. No.1 diesel is closer to kerosene and can be used at lower temperatures. It is seldom found at the pump.(far north?) but is blended at the refinery with No.2 to produce a winter blend. (In states where needed)
No.2 is the standard grade diesel found at the pump.

Diesel fuel at low temps will cloud and then form wax which can clog filters. No.1 or an additive is added to No.2 to reduce the temperature that this occurs.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #26

THOR #10562
Thank you so much for the feedback
Old 02-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #27

THOR #10562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Most all Ford diesels do not have an actual DEF gauge. Cummins and larger diesels generally have dash gauges.

I generally keep my DEF at half or above. My experience is that you will use more when pulling loads over grades than regular level towing/driving. Even though I fuel at truck stops I usually buy my DEF at Walmart and add by the gallon.

Thank you so much for your response
Old 02-01-2018, 04:26 PM   #28

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post

ULSD is an EPA clean requirement and applies to all diesel fuel that is available commercially for on road use.
No.1 and No.2 diesel are grades of diesel. No.1 diesel is closer to kerosene and can be used at lower temperatures. It is seldom found at the pump.(far north?) but is blended at the refinery with No.2 to produce a winter blend. (In states where needed)
No.2 is the standard grade diesel found at the pump.

Diesel fuel at low temps will cloud and then form wax which can clog filters. No.1 or an additive is added to No.2 to reduce the temperature that this occurs.
Not that anyone here needs it, but "off road" diesel is the same low sulphur diesel with red dye added to it, the only other difference is the road tax is not added per gallon. If by accident you add off road to your tank it won't hurt a thing other than your fuel will be pink for several tank fills, its a powerful red dye.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:34 PM   #29

THOR #10562
That’s certainly good info about the red dye though... thank you
Old 02-02-2018, 10:36 PM   #30

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
Checking the DEF level

I put OptiLube in my fuel during cold weather, it has an anti gel and adds extra lubricity for the injectors. Keeps the injectors nice and clean, and the engine run quieter.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:01 AM   #31

THOR #10562
Nice... thanks Rick! OptiLube huh?
Old 02-03-2018, 02:40 AM   #32

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
Don't get caught with off-road diesel on the road, it can result in fines.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:43 AM   #33

THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch S View Post
Don't get caught with off-road diesel on the road, it can result in fines.
The odds of someone checking your tank for off road diesel are about as astronomical as winning the lottery, unless you have farm tags on your truck or excavation company sign on your door.
Replacement undetermined
Old 02-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #34

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
The DOT usually sticks a fuel tank at businesses. I’ve had them at my place when we used to store fuel there.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:59 AM   #35

THOR #10665
Hi everyone, I'm a new 2018 Freedom Elite 24FE owner on a Mercedes Sprinter. My DEF warning started about 2 weeks ago while driving to a RV Park in Julian, CA going up to 4,200 feet on a somewhat curving uphill route. I pulled over and read the owners manual but my initial alarm subsided when I read that according to Mercedes Benz once the warning is 1st displayed you can travel approximately 1600 kilometers before it is completely empty which is just under 1,000 miles. Several days ago I bought 2 2.5 gallon containers for $25 total as the auto supply guy said the Sprinter holds aprox. 5 gallons of DEF. It was a bit difficult to get the fluid in quickly because 2.5 gallon containers are somewhat heavy and a bit large to tip enough for it to flow easily without spilling. The containers each had a plastic nozzle to assist in pouring it with a type of small very flexible rubber type 'collapsible tube' to allow a little air flow while pouring without spilling. DEF fluid is apparently somewhat caustic and the manual advises to wash it off paint, hoses or your skin quickly as you can if it splashes or spills. I had to use both 2.5 gallon containers but it filled with about a gallon to go, so overall it took about 4 gallons. Just to be clear and a warning is provided in the owners manual you don't add DEF to the fuel tank on a Mercedes nor do you mix it with water or any other additive. There is a separate place with a blue cap that says DEF in the front part of the engine right under the hood. Now that it is refilled the warning has turned off and I apparently don't need to add more for several thousand miles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1517882085.199260.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	8897
Old 02-06-2018, 02:00 AM   #36

THOR #10665
[QUOTE=Kevad;107232]Hi everyone, I'm a new 2018 Freedom Elite 24FE owner on a Mercedes Sprinter. My DEF warning started about 2 weeks ago while driving to a RV Park in Julian, CA going up to 4,200 feet on a somewhat curving uphill route. I pulled over and read the owners manual but my initial alarm subsided when I read that according to Mercedes Benz once the warning is 1st displayed you can travel approximately 1600 kilometers before it is completely empty which is just under 1,000 miles. Several days ago I bought 2 2.5 gallon containers for $25 total as the auto supply guy said the Sprinter holds aprox. 5 gallons of DEF. It was a bit difficult to get the fluid in quickly because 2.5 gallon containers are somewhat heavy and a bit large to tip enough for it to flow easily without spilling. The containers each had a plastic nozzle to assist in pouring it with a type of small very flexible rubber type 'collapsible tube' to allow a little air flow while pouring without spilling. DEF fluid is apparently somewhat caustic and the manual advises to wash it off paint, hoses or your skin quickly as you can if it splashes or spills. I had to use both 2.5 gallon containers but it filled with about a gallon to go, so overall it took about 4 gallons. Just to be clear and a warning is provided in the owners manual you don't add DEF to the fuel tank on a Mercedes nor do you mix it with water or any other additive. There is a separate place with a blue cap that says DEF in the front part of the engine right under the hood. Now that it is refilled the warning has turned off and I apparently don't need to add more for several thousand miles.

Attachment 8897
Old 02-06-2018, 02:36 AM   #37

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Just FYI the Mercedes Sprinter can display DEF level. Push the select button on mine, next to the speedometer, and it will change the fuel level display to DEF level display for about 10 seconds or so. I buy DEF in one gallon containers, easier to manage, at least for me.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:32 AM   #38

THOR #3610
NEVER NEVER EVER put DEF into any fuel tank, its 68% water!!!!
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #39

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
DEF can only be added to the DEF tank, the add location should be well marked, either under the hood, or near the fuel fill. If you add it to your oil, you will quickly and personally learn the cost of your engine replacement. If you add it to fuel, because of the water content, it won't be long before your water filter fills which will stop you. I just added DEF to my Gemini, on the MB Sprinter chassis, in a little over 2500 miles of driving, it took less then one gallon. I buy and use the one gallon containers, much easier to use and manage in tight quarters. On mine there is a 'slobber' collar around the fill neck, which catches the overflow when it fills and is easy to clean up. I believe the MB capacity is close to five gallons, so that's a pretty good range.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:28 PM   #40

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
The 2017 F550 chassis has DEF level on dash readout. Only gives a percentage but that's good enough. If it hasn't been covered in this thread, many RVers use the 2.5 gallon bottles inside the store vs. the bulk at the pump. If you're not full timing it's best to not keep the tank full. It has a shelf life and bad DEF can lead to serious and expensive problems. Look up the thread on hear labeled "DEF REGEN". Lots of good knowledge there.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote