Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2020, 01:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Washing Thor Vegas

Has anyone power washed their RV. Getting up in age and washing by hand has become a long tiring task,

Old 05-26-2020, 02:16 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I prefer to wash mine with a ladder and window spray cleaner.
It takes a surpringly short time, no hose, no mess.

If you have to ask about power pressure washing, you shouldn't pressure wash. It's takes a delicate hand and you will probably still have to wipe the dirt film off.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:30 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I live in FL. Wash roof every 3 months due to algae/slime buildup. Use good ladder to get higher up on RV ladder and junk towels to lean on. I take my time and never rush. Gives me chance to inspect roof caulk. Did most joints last year.

Sides are easy in contrast.

I keep laadder and bucket by rv for lovebug cleaning.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Georgia
THOR #14579
Power wash may pull up the decals or create a weakness in the edge.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:57 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
A pressure washer on low pressure shouldn't be more powerful than a the nozzles at a self-service car wash. If the graphics are old and beginning to peel there could, however, be some additional tearing or peeling that happens.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:01 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I prefer to wash mine with a ladder and window spray cleaner.
It takes a surpringly short time, no hose, no mess.

If you have to ask about power pressure washing, you shouldn't pressure wash. It's takes a delicate hand and you will probably still have to wipe the dirt film off.
Just because someone asked a question doesn't mean they can't handle a task. Depending on the chemicals used, window spray cleaner may not be the best item to use on a fiberglass motorhome.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-26-2020, 07:43 PM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Seems like spray window cleaner with the alcohol & ammonia in them would remove all the wax from the rv??
Not to mention the cost of several cans/bottles to do an entire motorhome.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:19 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post
Has anyone power washed their RV. Getting up in age and washing by hand has become a long tiring task,
You may have provided answer but not connected the dots?

Sounds your RV is getting old in age but you do not seem to be concern with current finish? It is implied you have not power washed so you have been doing good.

My owners manual specifically say to NOT power wash as it voids warranty. I think they are concerned not only with decals but creating leaks in seals in sealants that get old and come apart with pressure.

But back to your question, I never use pressure washer, even for bugs on the front. I don't think I have ever washed my entire RV at one time?

In 6 months I have washed roof twice. About 1 1/2 hr total

After every trip I wash off the front to get bugs and back to get soot from generator. 45 minutes

My sides generally stay clean except for bottoms that may have dirt. I use long brush & wash & wax to do do the sides, drying or wiping down the bottoms if dirty both sides about 1 1/2 hours

I wax whenever the weather is absolutely perfect and coach is looking otherwise very clean and I have help 1 1/2 hrs
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:59 PM   #9

THOR #5313
I should have mentioned that I use car wash soap. I use and old towel for fglass surfaces and 3m scrubber on windshield. The car wash seems to help lovebugs release from front surfaces. It takes me longer to get bugs out of radiator than wash rest of front end. I use rainex cleaner on big windshield.

Would never use any type of pressure washer, too many seals and gaskets to damage.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:55 AM   #10

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Came across a self-service RV wash today. Used the toad to test. I got 2.5min for $1.5. The point: it was evident, to me IMHO, the pressure would damage the graphics.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:21 AM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Came across a self-service RV wash today. Used the toad to test. I got 2.5min for $1.5. The point: it was evident, to me IMHO, the pressure would damage the graphics.
Was this you? $1.50 was bargain.

This dealer paid millions for this thing as it both washes and test for leaks. The very first Thor we looked at was Quantum Class C. We got caught in in a rain storm while inside the RV had to wait it out about an hour. We found / saw 4 leaks on brand new unit while dealer was bragging how they test for leaks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06_Automated_Coach_Wash__Rain_Booth_Test-1024x576.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	23929  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-27-2020, 04:06 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I wouldn't use a power washer on the RV. I wash mine with an automotive wash/wax concentrate after every trip. I use a bucket and brush then rinse with the hose, it takes a couple of hours. The roof gets done twice a year with Murphy's Oil soap, usually after a pollen bloom and it takes about an hour. I have also been wondering how to do it as I am getting up in years as well. I may have to start taking it to a Blue Beacon.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:39 AM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I wouldn't use a power washer on the RV. I wash mine with an automotive wash/wax concentrate after every trip. I use a bucket and brush then rinse with the hose, it takes a couple of hours. The roof gets done twice a year with Murphy's Oil soap, usually after a pollen bloom and it takes about an hour. I have also been wondering how to do it as I am getting up in years as well. I may have to start taking it to a Blue Beacon.
Blue Beacon does a pretty decent job. I took the Challenger there twice. I believe it cost 35.00, and our location has their premium charge (extra fee) and I felt it was worth the money. Right outside Blue Beacon after the wash, I paid Julio 25.00 to polish the 22.5 aluminum wheels. I had it done after picking the rig up from service so all told it took a little less than 2 hours out of my day.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-27-2020, 04:59 AM   #14

State: Washington
THOR #6433
So I have used a pressure washer on our coach but there are a few caveats with that. It’s just an electric one and unless your within a foot it’s not any stronger then your standard garden hose sprayer. I never do the windows or along seems and I basically use it because it’s easier to reach the high spots. I wouldn’t use it to blast anything off.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:00 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
So I have used a pressure washer on our coach but there are a few caveats with that. It’s just an electric one and unless your within a foot it’s not any stronger then your standard garden hose sprayer. I never do the windows or along seems and I basically use it because it’s easier to reach the high spots. I wouldn’t use it to blast anything off.
So why go with the hassle of pulling out pressure washer and hookup etc? I save about 20 minutes just by using regular jet on garden hose. Also no risk of accidentally getting too close. I got marks on my driveway and fence where I occasionally inadvertently got too close. I love my pressure wash when needed but not on my RV.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:34 PM   #16

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #17285
Camping world did ours and it was fine. However, we later learned of something called Wet it and Forget It. Used it on our awning and it is sparkling now. Will use it on the Axis when we get out of the woods of TN,
Old 06-03-2020, 07:04 PM   #17

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #17285
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post

Camping world did ours and it was fine. However, we later learned of something called Wet it and Forget It. Used it on our awning and it is sparkling now. Will use it on the Axis when we get out of the woods of TN,
Old 06-03-2020, 07:57 PM   #18

State: Washington
THOR #10717
I power wash my thor vegas at the local car wash with the larger (RV) entrance. Its cheap here ($15 for 30 min) and its easier to do with their equipment. I do use my own soap bucket and brush as the stuff i buy is a wash/wash and seems to work better. I try not to really hose stuff that hard unless its the front wind shield to remove bugs. Everything can be over-done, so its a bit of a learning lesson.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:00 PM   #19

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
THOR #17456
Foam Gun

I use a foam gun on a regular hose, then brush with a long handles soft brush. Dry the glass and chrome with micro-fiber towel.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:01 PM   #20
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
I pressure washer with a foam gun, brush, and stand way back to rinse. It goes fast. Wax is a spray and wipe. I found that I did like Wash and Wax All, but it built up over time and I stripped it off using Truck and Trailer cleaner from ZEP known as TNT. If you use it, TNT makes short work of fully stripping everything, wax, grease, road tar, etc., off the roof and paint. You need to check the calk and then wax. I too use Wet and Forget on the awning.