Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2020, 01:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Idaho
THOR #5402
Chrome piece around headlights

Never got the power plugged into household figured out but this was my other discovery. Now I have to find a shop that can order this for me. And on my drive home last night my dash board strobed the entire 2 hour drive using headlights. Dimmed, brightened kept doing it. I went out today to figure it out & now it isn't doing it. So all of this in addition to not being able to use electric when plugged into 110. Starting to really get irritated. Seems like something happens every time I use it.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200224_181757.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	22712

Old 02-25-2020, 02:07 AM   #2

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
That’s call RVing
Old 02-25-2020, 05:24 AM   #3

State: California
THOR #14070
I feel your pain. These things are in a constant state of needing a repair of some kind. Sometimes small, sometimes big. If an auto manufacturer slapped their vehicles together as carelessly as RVs, they’d be drummed out of business so fast their heads would spin. Somehow the market is okay with RV manufacturers getting the cheapest materials together, clearly unskilled laborers together, and rolling out huge turds with $100K+ price tags. It baffles me every time I think about it.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:32 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Yet no one complains about being able to purchase a new RV for about the same price as a similar sized truck or van. Here's one example:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cross_Trek.png
Views:	123
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	22713  
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:58 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Yet no one complains about being able to purchase a new RV for about the same price as a similar sized truck or van. Here's one example:
Yes, you are so correct.

a $65K Thor RV
vs
a $95K Ford/Lincoln Aviator Hybrid Black Label Grand Touring. It's a mid-sized SUV
or
a $70-90K diesel 4 x 4 crew cab truck with all the bells&whistles
or
a $100K Mercedes

To each his own
Old 02-26-2020, 12:03 AM   #6

THOR #5402
My MH was significantly more expensive. That much $$ comes with an expectation of better quality. As for my front cover, with all the constant vibration, it obviously worked loose just enough for the wind gust to get behind it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Yes, you are so correct.

a $65K Thor RV
vs
a $95K Ford/Lincoln Aviator Hybrid Black Label Grand Touring. It's a mid-sized SUV
or
a $70-90K diesel 4 x 4 crew cab truck with all the bells&whistles
or
a $100K Mercedes

To each his own
Old 02-27-2020, 07:39 PM   #7

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Your expectations are way too high. 🤣Unfortunately it’s the same goof-balls building the cheap ones as the expensive ones. Soooo well there you go.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:05 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Florida
THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springn Springers View Post
Never got the power plugged into household figured out but this was my other discovery. Now I have to find a shop that can order this for me. And on my drive home last night my dash board strobed the entire 2 hour drive using headlights. Dimmed, brightened kept doing it. I went out today to figure it out & now it isn't doing it. So all of this in addition to not being able to use electric when plugged into 110. Starting to really get irritated. Seems like something happens every time I use it.Attachment 22712

This happened to me with our 2018 Miramar. I was coming home from a trip and I heard a noise. Like I had run over something.

Stopped about 15 minutes later at a rest area and one of my chrome pieces around the headlights was gone, just like yours. Must have flown off and I ran over it. Luckily, our motor home was still under warranty and Thor sent me a new piece. I always check them now before a trip to make sure they are not loose.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:31 AM   #9

Model: Challenger LX
State: South Carolina
THOR #12124
My chrome trim was loose on my coach as well, I noticed it while I was cleaning my head lights. The trim around the headlights is attached with small machine screws with lock washer and nuts, they work loose and require tightening periodically. I suggest you do not over tighten these screws as you could chance cracking the trim or the fiberglass front end. I have placed lock tight on the treads which to date has solved the problem. But I still regularly check them along with lots of other things. Seems like something is always working loose from the highway vibrations.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:44 AM   #10
MLP

THOR #17478
Loctite, epoxy, sealant, Dicor roof sealant, Eternabond roof tape, Gorilla tape are just a few items that are a must carry items with an RV. Learned this with my first RV years ago. If you do not have an endless amount of time and money, you got to be handy or learn to be handy. I am a retired engineer and don't mind doing work on my rig. They are not complex except for the computer systems and smog systems used. They are for the experts. I do not wish to jump into them. Don't have the equipment or room to do that type of work. 72 hours in front of the house max.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:48 AM   #11

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Chrome Piece

Kind of strange. The last SoCal RV show we attended at the Fontana Speedway we saw a Miramar with the chrome piece on the right missing completely. I could not believe that they left it that way during the show.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:53 AM   #12
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Kind of strange. The last SoCal RV show we attended at the Fontana Speedway we saw a Miramar with the chrome piece on the right missing completely. I could not believe that they left it that way during the show.

It was driven there by the dealer so they obviously did not have a choice. Must have been embarrassing. Then again, if asked, they probably had a cove story for it.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
When comparing to actual price paid, and not MSRP, it’s actually unbelievable what you get for your money!
Old 03-06-2020, 07:39 PM   #14

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #13580
Do you find your captain's chair comfortable?? I also have a 2018 35.3...the captain's chair's are the most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat on!!
Old 03-06-2020, 08:20 PM   #15

THOR #5402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
Your expectations are way too high. [emoji1787]Unfortunately it’s the same goof-balls building the cheap ones as the expensive ones. Soooo well there you go.
Yvonnemarc, good point. [emoji1787]
Old 03-06-2020, 08:25 PM   #16

THOR #5402
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbn8tiv View Post
Do you find your captain's chair comfortable?? I also have a 2018 35.3...the captain's chair's are the most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat on!!
Sbn8tiv, yes I find them uncomfortable. Mostly because I'm short so my feet don't touch the floor on the passenger side. When I'm driving, the seat has to be all the way forward & slightly tipped down in front. I also have a small pillow behind my back.