Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation Sprinter 24SR
State: Oregon
THOR #972
Citation Sprinter 24SR Slide Out

A fellow owner and I have been researching how to retract the slideouts of our Sprinter SR in the event of battery failure. Surprisingly I think I found the answer in the generic owner manual for Thor Class B+, Class c & Class A Gas.

Since we can't locate anything to manually crank I figure we're supposed to disconnect the control board from the motors, push the slide in and then reconnect the control board so the motor brakes will keep the slide in.

One wonders if battery failure was the reason one had to manually push the slide in if the motor brakes will function.

Ed
Citation Sprinter 24SR

Old 08-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #2

Model: Citation 24SR
State: New Mexico
THOR #2570
I picked up my new 24sr yesterday and had the tech walk me through the process in case of slide failure for some reason. He said to remove the set screw over the motor location in the upper corner on each side. Then use a flat blade screwdriver to pry the motor up and out. Go inside to disconnect the flat plug. Then very carefully and evenly push the slide back in. Replace the motor in the same position to lock the slide in. I seriously hope I never have to do this. I'm a bit leery of the slides, but they sure do enhance the floor plan!
Old 08-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #3

THOR #972
Thanks for the info. I'll study the layout in my rig. Sounds complicated tho. I may try the disconnect control board method and will post the outcome.

I agree. It's a great floor plan but we're disappointed in the build quality. I just returned from a week-long trip that brought the rig to 8100 miles and the end of the 1 year warranty. For a time I couldn't understand why vehicles behind me were staying back so far on the two-lane highway in spite of my 60-65 MPH speed. Then I noted a 6 inch piece of trim on the lower corner of the side slide-out was flapping in the wind and hanging on only by a portion of a decal. Looks like contact cement can restore it.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #4

THOR #2570
I found a thread somewhere about merely unplugging the motors. I don't know why the tech didn't tell me that. He was quite confident in his description of how to remove the motors that was the appropriate procedure. I'm with you, if I ever have to do that, I'll try just unplugging them first! Good to know what plan B is, though.

I agree regarding build quality. Mine has some gaps/holes that will leak air where it shouldn't, gap alongside cabinet and shower in bathroom that will cause leaking, loose weatherstripping. I didn't see any RV that didn't have some significant issues that weren't up to my standards, though. That's no excuse, just a comment on the state of this very pricey product! If the mechanics are good, I'm happy to carry my own contact cement and duct tape. Safe travels!
Old 08-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #5

THOR #972
One other issue to be careful for. The screws in cabinet door hinges above bed and couch are working loose and just falling out. I'm going to work on a fix this week. On one of the two cabinets above the couch, we store dry goods there, I lifted the door just a bit beyond its limit to get a better look inside and the screws holding the gas lift support pulled out as if they were in warm butter.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #6

Brand: Crossroads
State: Ohio
THOR #424
try these from U tube
another good operation video.

Im assuming you have a Schwintek In-Wall Slide System
My owners manual says you can remove the Two white wires from the controller and manually push in the slide and then reconnect the two wires to lock the slide in place.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #7

THOR #972
Wow! Many thanks for these. I had web searched but didn't find these. The second one provided info I wasn't aware of (problems arising from failing to fully extend/retract each time and staying on the switch an extra 3-5 seconds for each cycle).

Ed
Citation Sprinter 24SR
Old 08-16-2015, 02:17 PM   #8

THOR #2570
These videos are fantastic! I searched everywhere and didn't uncover these. The motor removal process matches what the tech told me. But it's good to have less invasive options to try first. Thank you very much for sharing!
Old 08-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #9

THOR #2570
What are you driving/towing, hondavalk? I'm curious if the white wire disconnect approach might work on the citation SR. My owners manual was useless on the slideout issue. I can't imagine how to get a 2x4 on the rear slide to lock it in. It's not very accessible when retracted, unless you have a very small person around who might fit along the sides.

Tags
24sr, manually, slide, sprinter