Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2020, 08:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #19388
Exclamation Class b Tellaro nightmare

Any new owners out there?
Got my brand new Tellaro 31 days ago and it hasn't worked since day one.

Got the extra Mastervolt package, doesn't work and no diagnosis as to the part or parts that aren't working.

Anyone else out there pay $120,000 for nothing but aggravation ?

Old 06-27-2020, 08:48 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
'hasn't worked'
Isn't valid enough for us to comment on.
We had a new member sell her new unused rv because it was washed badly, rewashed to pristine, but too much worry by her about the wash job to keep the rv.
We don't know if you have a blown engine or bugs on your windshield.
Tell us what, and we'll tell you how.

Details are needed if you want help.
And
I can't imagine the amount of spam and abuse using your email address as a forum name must produce.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:19 PM   #3

THOR #19388
2020 Tellaro

The Mastervolt charging system shuts down anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours all the time. Thor “ Is working on it”. My first RV. 31 days seems like along time. Did I pick the wrong Brand?
Old 06-27-2020, 09:27 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
well, what little I do know about this 'mastervolt' is that it is new to Thor, so I can only imagine that many initial coaches may have 'bugs' that Thor has yet to work out, whether it be wiring from the factory, or the product installed itself.

Since most of us don't yet know much about this new 'system', you might have to give us a LOT more info to try to help....
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:29 PM   #5

THOR #13932
So the coach is usable but there's a charging problem.
How is the coach unusable?
Is it at the Thor factory shop or a dealer?
If it's at a dealer I'll all but guaranty 'thor' is Not working on it.
Mastervolt is NOT Thor. Mastervolt is Mastervolt. It's just an added option like a second ac unit. Thor can't fix or diagnose the ac except what they know by osmosis. Same with Mastervolt.

Is it undrivable?
Does it shut off the vehicle or does it stop charging?
Should it stop charging?
If you have shore power the system is not needed and if you're driving the system is not needed, so when is it shutting off and how does the shutoff affect you?

Can the system be switched off and used in the manner it would be used if you didn't have the option?

How isn't it working?

For those who don't know what the system is :
It's just extra lithium batteries and 280amp alternator and an inverter.
It's no different than using your inverter with the v10 running which makes it no different than running your inverter with the v10 not running... You'll go dead. It's the code of the west, the law, the physical physics of it all.
The op system has enough batteries and alternator to not need a generator EXCEPT the engine has to be running just like a generator would have to be running or the batteries don't get charged... As normal.

I am suspecting, and only suspecting, no one is familiar enough with the system to know the truck has to be running or the ac kills the batteries quickly, just like any other inverter system.
Truck not running, dead lithium when reserves are tapped out, just like dead wets.

Or. I'm horribly wrong.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:45 PM   #6

THOR #19388
I have zero battery power. If I go on the road and shut off my engine at night I might as well be in a tent! Thor has a local mechanic working on it. I was just wondering if this happens a lot, you buy an RV and it’s not right and a month later it’s still not right. I would have hoped that even with the Mastervolt system being new, someone at Thor would know how to troubleshoot. I guess I’m not looking for help, I’m both venting my frustration and warning others it may be too soon to buy this product.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:59 PM   #7

THOR #13932
What you describe, no battery power at all is such an elemental problem that I'd question the ability of the shop you're at, like, ask them:
Are you totally stupid?
It's an alternator and batteries, nothing else, no controller, no bird or bim (bird/bim: these words are hints for the goofus 'working' on the problem) or particle shift analimiter.

It is nothing new, nothing exotic.
It is NOTHING more than extra batteries in an absolutely standard configuration.
The is power from the alternator to the batteries, or there isn't. There is power out of the batteries or there isn't. These diagnosis are so simple as to be almost exclusionary of each other.
I could, no bull, train a gerbil to tell if you have hot on either end of the battery.

You're being jerked around by someone for some reason.
Show this post to the mechanic and ask him what part of stupid he is.

It's a:
Alternator
A battery
The end.
Then
Inverter
appliance
The end.
(there's a battery display which has nothing it can do to interfere with the system.)
You have nothing in the system that doesn't exist on every rv with an inverter.

Call Thor, find another shop.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:11 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis24@mac.com View Post
I have zero battery power. If I go on the road and shut off my engine at night I might as well be in a tent! Thor has a local mechanic working on it. I was just wondering if this happens a lot, you buy an RV and it’s not right and a month later it’s still not right. I would have hoped that even with the Mastervolt system being new, someone at Thor would know how to troubleshoot. I guess I’m not looking for help, I’m both venting my frustration and warning others it may be too soon to buy this product.
Are you at the Thor Factory Service Center? If not you can't say with any certainty that Thor can't troubleshoot the system. The folks you deal with on the phone are customer service reps that dealt with multiple configurations, they are not master certified technicians on anything. The Factory Service Center folks, on the other hand, are usually very knowledgable on the systems.

It is normal for new rigs to have issues. Apparently, your dealer is not versed on the system and, based on what you said, Thor has someone looking at the issue.

Facts of life concerning RVs:

All manufacturer's units will have problems
Not all dealers are competent
Not all dealers employ knowledgeable or trained technicians
Often times folks buy from the wrong dealer only to find the after sale service sucks
The model you purchased is relatively new and as with anything in the first production run there will be growing pains

Since you got Thor involved hopefully the issues will get resolved shortly.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:44 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Dealers are notorious for blaming Thor and sitting on your RV until they're darn good and ready to do something with it. You call Thor and tell them it's sitting in a shop and you want to know what they're doing about it. Then you go back to the dealer and tell them you're in touch with Thor and repeat whatever Thor tells you about the situation. I can almost guarantee the dealer is misleading you on the repairs. You MUST be your own advocate. Do that with every warranty issue and you will get results. It worked for us. One more thing, NEVER leave your RV with a dealer until and unless they have parts and a date for repairs to happen, then take it in. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2020, 12:42 AM   #10

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
THOR #17449
Sounds like a frustrated new owner. Not really here to get information as to what is wrong but just to vent. They really have not said what is happening. Is it as simple as way to much power use and the batteries just are drained? is there a display screen that is shutting off? When this happens what is the voltage remaining in the batteries? To many unknowns to really help out. So until then chalk it up as a vent and rant.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:43 AM   #11

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Or find an independent repair shop that does warranty work. Their business depends on happy repair customers whereas most dealers want to sell units and only grudgingly do service work because they have to. Works for me.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:55 AM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm sorry that you're so frustrated by this very fixable issue.
Get it to Wakarusa: they can make it right for you!
Old 06-29-2020, 01:05 PM   #13

THOR #19388
Not dealing with dealer at all. I'm in Florida, dealer is in Ohio.
Thor has been in control of repair since day one. It's day 31.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:10 PM   #14

THOR #19388
Thor has a local working on it, should I say , still working on it.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:14 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That's still not the same as the service you'd get in Wakarusa...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:40 AM   #16

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
There is a big difference in service between different dealers in Florida, like everywhere else. None compare with the factory shop in Indiana.

Just a thought, is the RV dealer you are working with one that has the letters C and W? Hmmm... Tell the group which dealer is jerking you around and the general area. Lots of Florida folks here so you might get help finding better service.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:39 AM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis24@mac.com View Post
Thor has a local working on it, should I say , still working on it.
"A local" what?
Dealer?
Repair Shop?
Independent RV mobile service?
Monkey?

As Ducksface has so elegantly pointed out, although you may have fancy lithium batteries it's still just a charging system, storage system, distribution and conversion system: the same basic principals apply to this system that apply to similar systems in hundreds of thousands of RVs. Some technicians understand the systems and logically troubleshoot them; some technicians don't understand any principals of operation and just follow troubleshooting charts which may or may not lead them to the actual problem.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:29 AM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Not a Mastervolt system here, but our BIRD and TROMBETTA RELAY were wired backwards from the factory. Dealer said "everything was perfect" but I kept having dead batteries even when plugged into shore power. Finally jumped on with meter and ended up rewiring myself.

My lesson learned on this is don't assume things are wired properly from the factory...
Old 07-01-2020, 01:06 PM   #19

State: Texas
THOR #2121
I disagree completely on who’s responsible, not that it should matter because it’s not our job to diagnose and fix the problem.

If these fancy high-capacity lithium systems were the same as a flooded- or AGM-based motorhome, it wouldn’t have taken years to get to where we are today with the technology, or a couple of years for Thor to try to catch up with Volta and Xantrex systems, or Roadtrek’s EcoTrek before that. The average “technician” may not have a clue what he’s dealing with. And all of these previous systems had plenty of early design and quality issues of their own.

In my opinion the thing that’s getting out of control is the sentiment that RV owners are somehow responsible to fix problems themselves, or worse yet that they should understand what’s causing the problem in the first place. That may work for a few hands-on owners, but will never be the norm. Not in today’s world.

If an air conditioner doesn’t cool enough, should a home or RV owner know why it’s not cooling more? It may help but that knowledge shouldn’t be necessary to own an air conditioner. You call a qualified A/C contractor or repair person and let them figure out what’s wrong. That may not be ideal from a cost standpoint, but it’s reality for most people today.

The one thing most of us expect is that the A/C “expert” can figure out what’s wrong on his own.

In this case I feel for the OP. If the problem was that simple to fix, or was operator error, why didn’t first tech find it and fix it? And if it’s more complicated than “very simple to fix”, why should the owner be expected to diagnose it himself?
Old 07-02-2020, 12:47 AM   #20
rhb

State: Oregon
THOR #19441
As I understand it the Tellaro units come with a solar system, just like the Sequence. If so you should be able to see the battery status on the solar control panel (go power). While you are at it you might check the manual and make sure it is set up for the right battery type.

If that is showing that the battery is charged then you might check the Distribution Center (WFCO Ultra III WF-8900 series).

From what I have seen the Tellaro uses the same equipment as the Sequence, which I have. Though I do not have the upgraded batteries.

Tags
mastervolt, problems, tellaro