Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Class C 31L
State: Illinois
THOR #7768
Class C Slide Squeak

I just purchased a 2013 Fourwinds 31L, the drivers side slide has a nasty squeak especially at slow speeds. I think it's inside the slide and, I'm trying to figure out exactly where it is coming from, seems like the rear part behind the booth seat. Has anyone had any experiences in tracking down the culprit, if so where to start.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
do you mean when you are running the slide in or out....or the creaking noises you get when driving down the highway?

Shwintek has some good videos on youtube for their slide systems.
Here's one for lubricating
https://youtu.be/8KbVRFMo1Rg

It'll help with the noises when operating the slide in and out.

I seem to remember a bit of noise coming from my slide when I drove. That was when we fist got the unit. After a while it diminished.... or maybe I just go so used to it. Honestly, I think it was a little of both.

This reminds me, I should probably lube my slides again.....

I've been all over and through my unit...same year and model. happy to help with any questions that I can.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #3

THOR #7768
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
do you mean when you are running the slide in or out....or the creaking noises you get when driving down the highway?

Shwintek has some good videos on youtube for their slide systems.
Here's one for lubricating
https://youtu.be/8KbVRFMo1Rg

It'll help with the noises when operating the slide in and out.

I seem to remember a bit of noise coming from my slide when I drove. That was when we fist got the unit. After a while it diminished.... or maybe I just go so used to it. Honestly, I think it was a little of both.

This reminds me, I should probably lube my slides again.....

I've been all over and through my unit...same year and model. happy to help with any questions that I can.
Thank you blw, the squeak is when I am driving, mostly at slow speeds and is really loud and annoying, I have had 3 other motorhomes and know there will be some noise but this is way louder than anything in the past. As a fellow 31L owner you will now be my go to guy as I will probably have many more questions for you in the future.......
Old 06-27-2017, 04:31 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
New information about lubricating slides: Schwintek says the videos on lubing slides are old and lubrication is no longer recommended. New procedure is to use compressed air and occasionally blow out the area where the motors are mounted. This is directly from Schwintek.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:42 PM   #5

THOR #908
well now that's interesting.

I never did figure it was all that critical. A couple of mine I really can't get to to lube per their directions anyway.

Still, they do sound a bit better after a good "lube job"
Old 06-27-2017, 06:33 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
If you are using a clean lubricant like CRC or Zep with PTFE then continuing to lube the slides are probably in your best interest.

Unfortunately too many choose to use other forms of lubricant that gunks up everything or they lubricate the gear track which should be left clean or they end up spraying down the motors causing other malfunctions.

When done right with an appropriate product... good results. Otherwise... better left alone!
Old 06-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
As to the squeaky noise while driving. Have you laid on the floor, pulled or pushed the gasket material that runs around the inside of the slide out of the way, and removed the ton of manufacturing debris left behind. Under my kitchen slide, I removed holes left from hole saws, large pieces of cardboard, a handful of screws, other unidentifiable pieces of wood, wire ties, wire nuts, saw dust, and a Double Bubble bubble gum wrapper, You might take a look, many of those things can interfere with your slide and make strange noises.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #8

THOR #7768
Thanks to everyone that responded, I will go out later in the week and try what nosticks suggested, like I said earlier it seems to be in the rear of the slide and sounds like it could be metal to metal contact, otherwise the slide comes in and out perfectly.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #9

THOR #908
there is metal to metal contact in that mechanism
and I would expect that the slide moves around a bit within it's opening just a bit, as the coach rocks and rolls down the road...so no doubt there could be some squawking from it.
If the coach had been parked for while it could be that it just needs to be worked in a bit
or it could be that it is in badly need of some lube (even though now we know we're not supposed to do it)
or I suppose it could be that the gear/slide mechanism is dirty, dry, etc...

My suggestion...watch that video to learn a bit about how that mechanism works.
Maybe watch their others too just for future reference....
then go out and look things over, clean as needed, and check for damage etc...
and get some of that recommended PTFE lube and give it a spray as directed, as best as you can.
I'll bet that'll quiet it down a bit
Old 06-27-2017, 09:37 PM   #10

THOR #7768
I just drove it again and I don't think it's metal to metal, more like plastic or maybe fiberglass? I believe it's coming from as your looking at the slide from inside the the motorhome the top left hand corner, so the very rear top. I can grab it and move it and it makes the noise although not as bad as when your driving. I will also do what blw2 has suggested.

Thanks again to all that has taken time to respond.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:36 PM   #11

THOR #908
Maybe the seals then.

with your reply, and now that I'm thinking about this more, I think I remember buying some of that seal conditioner when I first bought the MH.
this stuff I believe
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-41105-S...al+conditioner
and it helped. the noise I was having.
it sprays out like a foam, but it's like a light silicone lube

I have since learned that most folks consider this stuff unnecessary & I certainly haven't found that i need to use it regularly.

But I do believe I was wondering about some similar noises when I first got ours
and maybe doing this lubrication (seals &/or track nibs)will help to reduce it while things get worked in a bit....
worth a shot I guess.