Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2022, 09:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Virginia
THOR #19723
Class C Storage Compartment fills with water after rain

All
I have a Freedom Elite 30 FE and the storage compartment to the left of my door which hinges at the bottom is always full of water after a heavy rain. I keep both latches closed/Locked and I recently replaced the weather stripping and it still leaks. Any thoughts on how to diagnose this or resolve it? Should I just recaulk the outside where the door frame meets the RV? Other thoughts?

Thanks,
Larry

Old 08-11-2022, 09:23 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
First thing you need to do is figure out where exactly the water is coming from. It could be migrating from somewhere else.

Is there a reason the hatch open from the top? Seems very odd, but I've only owned a handful of RV's...
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:46 PM   #3

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
First thing you need to do is figured out where exactly the water is coming from. It could be migrating from somewhere else.

Is there a reason the hatch open from the top? Seems very odd, but I've only owned a handful of RV's...
My old Jayco opened that way in 2019
Old 08-11-2022, 10:53 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Go out after dark and use the old flashlight trick. Make sure the rubber gasket isn't kinked and there's no gap at the top. I'm assuming this is with the rig just sitting still? Not driving in the rain?
Old 08-12-2022, 01:53 AM   #5

THOR #19723
I love this idea but I couldn't see any light anywhere and yes while the Rig is sitting still..

Thanks
Old 08-12-2022, 01:55 AM   #6

THOR #19723
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
First thing you need to do is figure out where exactly the water is coming from. It could be migrating from somewhere else.

There is a slide above the storage compartment so it has to open down..
Old 08-12-2022, 02:22 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Get it air dry. Get a water hose. Take your time and wash your roof, have someone look for leak every 5 -7 min. They need to check for the 1st entry point. This can rule out a possible leak on the roof that you don't know about. My money says that is the source, a vent pipe, vent fan AC etc.

Assuming it pass, I doubt but if it does, then take hose and run water around the the seals on the door. Check every 30 secs to see if you can get it wet.

My Propane door has hinges on down side to.

Good luck
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:21 AM   #8

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVHopeful View Post
There is a slide above the storage compartment so it has to open down..

Which slide is it under and does it matter if the slide is in or out when it gets wet?
Old 08-12-2022, 01:20 PM   #9

THOR #19723
Jim,
Its only partially under the slide maybe 3 inches of overlap. The Vent for the Fridge is above it as well as the left side of the awning. I will open the Fridge vent today just not sure what I am looking for... Any thoughts? It is the slide that has the bunks and cabinet in the "Bedroom"
Old 08-13-2022, 11:11 AM   #10

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I found that the cargo door on mine was not quite snug with the side of the coach and water was getting in around the frame where the door mates with the coach. Run some water slowly from a hose just above the door and see if water gets in.

The molded cargo bay is flanged and attaches to the inside wall of the coach. Between the flange and the wall is a high destiny foam gasket. Then the door is installed from the outside. Water runs over the outside door and seeps through the gasket. I ended up using some GeoCel ProFlex and sealed all around the door on the outside. I could have removed the door and used some butyl tape but was lazy.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:43 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Common issue...there is a plug in the floor of the compartments...imagine that! Just remove the plug and keep sensitive to water items off the floor. You can cut up milk/bread crates and line the floor of the compartments with those panels...they are thin. I fought it for a year then caved. They all leak...at least that's my experience.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:22 PM   #12

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Common issue...there is a plug in the floor of the compartments...imagine that! Just remove the plug and keep sensitive to water items off the floor. You can cut up milk/bread crates and line the floor of the compartments with those panels...they are thin. I fought it for a year then caved. They all leak...at least that's my experience.
I did my sani flush the other day, or what ever it's called and after a few seconds I had water running out of the drain hole. I crawled under and it was coming from the drain. I went to Menards and picked up a stainless steel line and replaced the 60 inch line with a 24 inch line. I noticed my outside shower lines are 60 inches I'm going to replace them with 24 inch, why do they waste all that extra hose for nothing. I unscrewed my panel to tighten the nut and found 1 1/4 inch self tappers, it only needed 1/2 inch screws
Old 08-17-2022, 06:17 PM   #13

State: Alabama
THOR #7681
I have a Class C Thor Chateau with several storage compartments and they all leak. I have found they leak more while driving down the road in the rain. In my research the problem wasn't the seal around the door but the gap between the storage compartment and where it attaches to the motorhome. I used expanding foam around the perimeter of the compartment where it attached to the motorhome and the leaking stopped. My problem was solved and my compartments now stay dry.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:22 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueE450 View Post
I have a Class C Thor Chateau with several storage compartments and they all leak. I have found they leak more while driving down the road in the rain. In my research the problem wasn't the seal around the door but the gap between the storage compartment and where it attaches to the motorhome. I used expanding foam around the perimeter of the compartment where it attached to the motorhome and the leaking stopped. My problem was solved and my compartments now stay dry.
Yup! It doesn't have to be the door...
Expand your search, and good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:32 PM   #15

Model: Freedom Elite 24FE
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12891
I have a freedom elite 24fe, and one of my small bays opens down, and if I don't lock it it will leak. So I would assume it has something to do with the gaskets and door not closing tight enough.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:29 PM   #16

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Delaware
THOR #13591
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVHopeful View Post
All
I have a Freedom Elite 30 FE and the storage compartment to the left of my door which hinges at the bottom is always full of water after a heavy rain

Might be a silly question, but is the top trim that meets the side of the RV sealed properly?I had three compartments that they installed the doors on but failed to use silicone sealant on the trim around it, so water always got in. I smear of sealant fixed it after three times replacing the rubber seal around the door..
Old 08-18-2022, 06:25 AM   #17

State: Washington
THOR #6433
I have the same model and had a similar experience with the storage bin in the back slide. Besides making your all the latches locked and replacing the weather stripping I noticed when latching it didn’t bring the door completely flush to for a seal. Had to adjust the locks and then added another piece of weather stripping just below the lip and that fixed the problem.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:41 AM   #18

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
I have the same model and had a similar experience with the storage bin in the back slide. Besides making your all the latches locked and replacing the weather stripping I noticed when latching it didn’t bring the door completely flush to for a seal. Had to adjust the locks and then added another piece of weather stripping just below the lip and that fixed the problem.
On mine one some of the arms on the locks need to be bent in our out a little so the door latches tight, I never have leaks after adjustment of the locks