Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2023, 05:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #13703
Outside TV door latches sticking

The outside TV door latches are stuck. I can move them with pliers but the grind when I do. I sprayed lubricant but it did not help. I tried to remove them by taking off the inside latch and the nut holding it to the door but they will not move they are stuck in the door. Tried tapping it with a small rubber mallet and it cracked the outside paint.

Old 06-20-2023, 06:32 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Press, don't tap.
Set rubber hammer on lock. Push hard.
First
Spray wd40(ish) around it on the paint side.
Wait 15minutes.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 07:23 PM   #3

THOR #13703
Thanks

Thanks I will try it again
Old 06-20-2023, 07:58 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
https://ch751.com/

Have worksheet to match replacements.
Maded in USA

I replaced all on my rig after they started sticking and have keys that are not common.
Old 06-20-2023, 09:09 PM   #5

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by druganjk@gmail.com View Post
The outside TV door latches are stuck. I can move them with pliers but the grind when I do. I sprayed lubricant but it did not help. I tried to remove them by taking off the inside latch and the nut holding it to the door but they will not move they are stuck in the door. Tried tapping it with a small rubber mallet and it cracked the outside paint.
How old is your coach? Also, are you having the problem with a Keyed latch or a thumb latch?

On my ACE I have a large door for a huge storage compartment on the left side. It had one keyed latch and one Thumb latch. The keyed one was always hard to move. I found that pushing on the door relieved the pressure on the latch making it much easier to move. I did not like that the door had only two latches. I also had one thumb latch that the PO had forced to turn the wrong way. I was not stuck but it did grind when turned. I called Thor to order two new thumb latches. I replaced the damaged latch and replaced the keyed latch on the large compartment with a thumb latch. Then I drilled a new hole in the door between the two latches and installed the keyed latch that I had removed.

If you call Thor, have your VIN ready, you should be able to order replacement latches.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 07:37 PM   #6

THOR #13703
I have no problem getting the replacement parts, thanks the problem I have is that I cannot get the current latch out of the door.
Thanks
Old 06-22-2023, 09:31 PM   #7

THOR #28145
Quote:
Thanks the problem I have is I cannot get the current ones out of the door.
Once you have the inside nut off take an adjustable wrench and adjust it to fit the flat spots on the latch. The gently turn the latch back and forth, only a very little bit while applying pressure to the inside of the latch with your thumb. I see you live in Alabama, this is a humid time of the year. I suspect that the wood in the door has absorbed moisture from the air and expanded. Kind of like what happens in your house during the summer when doors that work fine during the winter start sticking. I would also check that the locks have not been "glued" in by a bead of sealant. If that is the case then use a razor blade scraper to cut around the outer lock cylinder.

Old 06-22-2023, 10:02 PM   #8

THOR #13703
That sounds great I will try it. Also I am sorry in Florida now but still very humid. Thanks again
Old 06-22-2023, 10:29 PM   #9

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Once you have the inside nut off take an adjustable wrench and adjust it to fit the flat spots on the latch. The gently turn the latch back and forth, only a very little bit while applying pressure to the inside of the latch with your thumb. I see you live in Alabama, this is a humid time of the year. I suspect that the wood in the door has absorbed moisture from the air and expanded. Kind of like what happens in your house during the summer when doors that work fine during the winter start sticking. I would also check that the locks have not been "glued" in by a bead of sealant. If that is the case then use a razor blade scraper to cut around the outer lock cylinder.
I got curious about your problem, so I went ahead and disassembled one of my latches. Below is a photo of the corrosion of the outer barrel of the latch cylinder. Keep in mind that my 2018 ACE was garage kept until it came into my position in September 2022. This latch housing was also seized in the door as well. I used the procedure outlined above to loosen the latch and then I was able to get it free by wiggling it back and forth. The corrosion is likely what is causing the turning problem as well. The only cure for that is to replace the entire latch. Just be sure you have the replacement latch before you dissemble. Since my latch is still turning, I cleaned it up with a small wire brush and a small file to remove as much of the corrosion as possible. Then reassembled with a silicone grease around the cylinder to prevent further corrosion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Latch corrosion.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	42500  

Old 06-22-2023, 10:39 PM   #10

THOR #28145
Quote:
I got curious about your problem, so I went ahead and disassembled one of my latches. Below is a photo of the corrosion of the outer barrel of the latch cylinder. Keep in mind that my 2018 ACE was garage kept until it came into my position in September 2022. This latch housing was also seized in the door as well. I used the procedure outlined above to loosen the latch and then I was able to get it free by wiggling it back and forth. The corrosion is likely what is causing the turning problem as well. The only cure for that is to replace the entire latch. Just be sure you have the replacement latch before you dissemble. Since my latch is still turning, I cleaned it up with a small wire brush and a small file to remove as much of the corrosion as possible. Then reassembled with a silicone grease around the cylinder to prevent further corrosion.
I used dielectric grease, but this will likely work better.

https://a.co/d/6rJfYvR

Old 06-22-2023, 10:41 PM   #11

THOR #13703
Once again Thanks so very much
Old 06-29-2023, 12:13 AM   #12

Model: AXIS 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #6051
The same happened to me. There was corrosion on the thumb latches and the keyed lock. The corrosion almost looked like "electrolysis corrosion".

Regardless, I replaced all my CH751 locks, and thumb locks with non-RV locks of a higher quality. Its worth the time and money.
Old 06-29-2023, 02:48 AM   #13

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.maslowski@comcast.net View Post
The same happened to me. There was corrosion on the thumb latches and the keyed lock. The corrosion almost looked like "electrolysis corrosion".

Regardless, I replaced all my CH751 locks, and thumb locks with non-RV locks of a higher quality. Its worth the time and money.
Well, yes, it is definitely electrolysis corrosion. The thumb latches and keyed lock bodies are nickel-plated zinc castings. Just add a little salt water from road spray and you get that reaction between the nickel and zinc. In locations that use rock salt or brine road treatment in the winter will still have salt present long after all the snow and ice is gone. Even in warm climates where salt is never used on the roads there is still enough environmental salt present to start the electrolysis reaction.

To prevent that reaction the locks and latches need to be lubricated on a regular schedule.

Just for everyone's information do you have a link for where to get high quality latches and locks?

Old 06-29-2023, 07:26 AM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
Those latches and locks are the absolute worst I've seen.... I replaced all mine with the same type and, 2 years later, I'm gonna' have to do the same again. My Axis is rarely on the road in winter, always washed and rinsed off after use and is keep in a covered garage.
I even spray silicone over them to keep damp away, but still they corrode.....
Old 06-29-2023, 09:41 AM   #15

THOR #13703
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.maslowski@comcast.net View Post

Hi how did you get them out, they are stuck in.
Old 06-29-2023, 12:29 PM   #16

Model: Gemini SX, 2018 MB diesel
State: North Carolina
THOR #19778
Latch locks

Quote:
I've only had one mess up and wouldn't turn at all.
My solution which worked perfectly...small crowbar! 😀
I'm going to replace all after 3 years so keys match.
Old 06-29-2023, 12:33 PM   #17

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
Those latches and locks are the absolute worst I've seen.... I replaced all mine with the same type and, 2 years later, I'm gonna' have to do the same again. My Axis is rarely on the road in winter, always washed and rinsed off after use and is keep in a covered garage.
I even spray silicone over them to keep damp away, but still they corrode.....
Read post #13. Even in places where salt is not used on the roads there is still salt present in the environment. The dust / road grime you wash off has salt in it, even the water you use to wash your RV has salt in it, not much, but it does not take much.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:54 PM   #18
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Read post #13. Even in places where salt is not used on the roads there is still salt present in the environment. The dust / road grime you wash off has salt in it, even the water you use to wash your RV has salt in it, not much, but it does not take much.
It doesn't have to be salt. Acidic rain or anything that makes water conductive.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote