Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #11919
Class A Cover recommendations

2108 Windsport 29M

Last 2 years i have stored my RV indoors/conditioned for the winter but the pricing his year has gone up 50%, time to be more realistic.

I have the room at home and am thinking about winterizing and covering it. Interested in any "watch-outs", "look fors" and recommendations for vendors to look for or avoid when purchasing a cover for my Class A.

As always, thanks for the help.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:47 PM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Personally I'd recommend a good wax job prior to storage & skip the cover!
Cover the tires for sure & the a/c units if you think necessary.
If you live in an area with winds &/or dust the flapping of the cover can chaff the the rv.
If you live in an area with winter snow/ice extending into spring you may not be able to remove the cover for an early spring trip to due being frozen to the roof til enough sunshine to melt it away.
Physical ability also comes into play! Are you able to haul the heavy cover up a ladder, wrestle it around 10-12' above the ground while hopscotching all the roof protrusions, then do it in reverse to remove.
Then replace it about every 2 years.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:58 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Personally I'd recommend a good wax job prior to storage & skip the cover!
Cover the tires for sure & the a/c units if you think necessary.
If you live in an area with winds &/or dust the flapping of the cover can chaff the the rv.
If you live in an area with winter snow/ice extending into spring you may not be able to remove the cover for an early spring trip to due being frozen to the roof til enough sunshine to melt it away.
Physical ability also comes into play! Are you able to haul the heavy cover up a ladder, wrestle it around 10-12' above the ground while hopscotching all the roof protrusions, then do it in reverse to remove.
Then replace it about every 2 years.
What they said ^^^^^

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:41 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Agree…the cover is more trouble than it’s worth and even can be detrimental. In addition to finish damage from wind/flapping, the cover can actually trap moisture underneath it and lead to dirt accumulation and even mold. And it’ll make it difficult or impossible for you to drive it every once in a while or exercise the generator as required. I prefer to keep good air flow and like to visit it about weekly to check for leaks, vandalism, mice etc. and I try to drive mine on a nice day about once a month. Plus if you have a solar system to keep the batteries charged it won’t work under a cover.
Old 08-24-2021, 12:27 AM   #5

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #11919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Agree…the cover is more trouble than it’s worth and even can be detrimental. In addition to finish damage from wind/flapping, the cover can actually trap moisture underneath it and lead to dirt accumulation and even mold. And it’ll make it difficult or impossible for you to drive it every once in a while or exercise the generator as required. I prefer to keep good air flow and like to visit it about weekly to check for leaks, vandalism, mice etc. and I try to drive mine on a nice day about once a month. Plus if you have a solar system to keep the batteries charged it won’t work under a cover.

Great comments. Got me thinking about just something on the roof for the AC and Uv protection for the roof.
Thanks again, great info