Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton
Short answer...yes. Are you referring to reverse plug into an outlet for temp power of a zone of your house or using a transfer kit type system for the entire house?
That's potentially dangerous. Backfeeding power into the house this way can send voltage into the wires feeding the home from the pole (or underground) with the potential to electrocute utility workers or anyone else who comes into contact with the supply wires. The ONLY
way that can be done safely is to turn off the house's main breaker before
activating the generator, and disconnecting the generator before
turning the main breaker back on. A transfer switch is the MUCH safer route to take.