Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2022, 01:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Class A -Tire Rotation

I have a 2017 37.1 Thor Miramar. All six tires were replaced one year ago. Since then we have traveled about 3500-4000 miles. I keep tires covered when not in use, and proper air pressure.

When should I rotate these tires?

Thank you

Old 01-21-2022, 02:25 PM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Why should you?
Old 01-21-2022, 02:34 PM   #3

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
There should be no need to rotate. Based on your yearly mileage, you will likely replace the tires at the 8-10 year birthday mark before you replace for wear issues. Keep an eye on the manufacturer date and of course, inflation is "king".
Old 01-21-2022, 03:35 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Read the F53 chassis manual. It will tell you if and/or when to rotate the tires.

Ford provided the manual with the hope owners would take a minute or two to read it.

It’s not rocket science.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:53 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
According to my manual, tires should be rotated every 7500 miles. I used to rotate when I had a smaller class c but don't rotate the tires on my class a. I do inspect for wear and damage though.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:58 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
The ONLY reason to rotate tires is to equalize wear. If you don’t have uneven wear on any of your tires there’s no benefit in doing it. If you do have uneven wear you should find out why and fix it (like doing an alignment). On many vehicles the front tires wear more quickly than the rear because they “work” harder. That’s true but perhaps less so on a lumbering vehicle and, in most cases, the difference is unimportant because the tires get replaced before they wear out anyway. No doubt a lot of folks will disagree so please note that this is my personal opinion.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:22 PM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
The ONLY reason to rotate tires is to equalize wear. If you don’t have uneven wear on any of your tires there’s no benefit in doing it. If you do have uneven wear you should find out why and fix it (like doing an alignment). On many vehicles the front tires wear more quickly than the rear because they “work” harder. That’s true but perhaps less so on a lumbering vehicle and, in most cases, the difference is unimportant because the tires get replaced before they wear out anyway. No doubt a lot of folks will disagree so please note that this is my personal opinion.
Great response
Old 02-05-2022, 09:17 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 31s
State: Florida
THOR #19594
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Read the F53 chassis manual. It will tell you if and/or when to rotate the tires.

Ford provided the manual with the hope owners would take a minute or two to read it.

It’s not rocket science.

According to my manual it said to rotate tires after 10k miles on my WIndsport. I took it to Ford, they looked at the tires and told me not to bother with rotation, that I was better off leaving them where they are and just replace in a few years. Much cheaper than the rotations.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:34 PM   #9

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
I am scheduled for my 10,000 miles service. Right there in the book, rotate tires at 10K, DO NOT exceed the mileage or time intervals. I will do my second oil change, and ask the professionals about the tire rotation. I see minimal wear and no signs of mis-alignment. finally got my tire pressures settled down...

I see rear tires go as a set, side to side, and the fronts just across from each other.

Not sure why someone would buy a 150K + vehicle and not understand any basic maintenance or care. I've got alot invested in this vehicle and read everything i can, along with this forum....?

no way i go to CW for this service. A professional Truck service center for me....
Old 04-07-2022, 10:58 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
I am scheduled for my 10,000 miles service. Right there in the book, rotate tires at 10K, DO NOT exceed the mileage or time intervals. I will do my second oil change, and ask the professionals about the tire rotation. I see minimal wear and no signs of mis-alignment. finally got my tire pressures settled down...

I see rear tires go as a set, side to side, and the fronts just across from each other.

Not sure why someone would buy a 150K + vehicle and not understand any basic maintenance or care. I've got alot invested in this vehicle and read everything i can, along with this forum....?

no way i go to CW for this service. A professional Truck service center for me....

If my tires aren’t wearing oddly I wouldn’t bother with switching them. I do it on my car because the fronts wear more than the rears, I put a lot more miles on the car and I keep them longer. But on the motor home I plan to replace them at 5 or 6 years and they won’t be worn excessively by then. The ONLY reason to rotate them is to even out wear patterns.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:27 PM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I haven't had any tires rotated on purpose that I can think of, ever.
Fix the fail instead. (I haven't had a relatable fail ever)

Many times, to every time, a book is written not with you in mind but with selling the service in mind.
The tires are under the manufacturer warranty, not Ford. It's a liability statement related to ford mechanicals.
Rotation mention by ford is a ford sales tool/butt covering.

I'm not saying don't rotate.
I'm saying some of us aren't so easily sold....
I will rotate if a problem pops up, or I have the wheels off for another reason or discount tire does it for free if I'm there for a flat fix or some such. I'm not against It, I just don't advocate blindly following type/hype.

It's not that we DON'T understand, as suggested above.
It's that we DO understand.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:27 PM   #12

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I can only speak for my rig…
Because my vehicle is properly aligned,
I have even & normal outside wear on both front tires

I turn right & left a lot (haha)

So I recently rotated the fronts to the opposite side (inside) rear (on my dually rears).
Old 04-08-2022, 03:24 AM   #13

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Never rotated my tires on my coach. It’s a C but 32ft so a larger one. Like has been said uneven wear. We replaced the tires last year at the 5 year mark and they looked good as new.
Old 04-08-2022, 11:13 AM   #14

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post

Way back when, steel belted radial tires were never turned around as would have to happen as you describe. Think about it for a minute. The only thing you’ll accomplish, by rotating them as you describe, is changing the direction they’re rolling. A no no. But, it’s your dollar.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:28 PM   #15

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
I went to my Truck service center and discussed rotating tires. The lead didn't know which way to rotate tires. I will pass on this one, and find some shop that can do the task....the set on the back goes over to the other side as a set. Not individually, the fronts chris cross....