Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2022, 02:23 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Note: I am not trying to change anybody from what they do, Just saying what I have done for 4 years and what the RV looks like. I didn't hire a chemist to review the Meguiars Pure Wax #56, but Filon Composites did I have a seen a lot of RVs with ugly finishes and decals including full body paint. I have been a car wash fanatic all my life, where I grew none of the kids ever had dirty cars, we washed them in the rain and I am not joking. They may not have always started but they were clean

I tried the ceramic wax, I just didn't like it. But it was cool to watch your keys slide off the hood.

Here are picture of my RV and what I do.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...ses-30950.html

There could be 100 better options, but maybe you might see why I am satisfied with what I am doing? I have done it for 4 years, I wish to see how long this finish last. You might say, I am on a mission to prove, that RVs do not EVER have to oxidize, we don't have to pay $350/mo inside storage, use covers, keep away from sun and UV light; we just need to take care of them. Starting November I will be working on Year 5
I washed in the rain also, it works great. Mine is outside also, I checked on inside storage by me for the wintertime and it was 160 a month. 350 would want you to build your own pole barn

Old 07-28-2022, 05:00 PM   #22

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
It looks to nice to drive!
Old 07-28-2022, 05:05 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
This stuff is amazing!

303 Aerospace Protectant - Provides Superior UV Protection, Helps Prevent Fading and Cracking, Repels Dust, Lint, and Staining, Restores Lost Color and Luster, 32oz (30313CSR)

And will only use this.
MH looks new!

Gel-Gloss RV Wash and Wax - 128 oz. - WW-128
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:22 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I washed in the rain also, it works great. Mine is outside also, I checked on inside storage by me for the wintertime and it was 160 a month. 350 would want you to build your own pole barn

I am pretty sure if I had to store my RV, I would sell it. I can't imagine not being able to go in and whenever I wanted to. I know I could not keep it as clean as I do and I don't want to make an appointment to pickup my RV.

Try NIRV inside storage rate, may be more than $350/month?

Because of all of the wax, when it rains, I can dry it out and shines.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:31 PM   #25

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
It looks to nice to drive!
Every time I stop to get gas, somebody inevitably says, so you got a new RV? That looks nice. I have to say oh, you mean this 4 year old junker?

Last year, I was getting it inspected and a guy with a Winnebago same color ads mine was already there. It was faded something terrible and decals looked like a dried up Sahara desert. I know he saw me but he never came out. He may have bought it used?

Some people pay $25k for full body paint and 3 years later they have the same problem, you have to keep it waxed and buffed.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-28-2022, 10:37 PM   #26

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Since you mentioned RV full body paint, I wonder if it holds up like automotive paint/clear coat? I only wax my card/truck once a year... and they look like showroom paint... MUCH less work than the gelcoat. BUT... paint over fiberglass??
Old 07-29-2022, 01:40 AM   #27

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
Our rig is outside year round and up here in the forest we get hammered with pine sap pollen and any and everything the trees throw at us. I usually hit the cars once every two years with plain jane Turtle wax they both still look new after 5 years. Gelcoat is a different animal I think. The thought of a cover seems to have a little more appeal after all this work. Of course a full cover seems like another work intensive proposition. I stumbled on a solution tonight. I'm buying a lottery ticket and a win buys new home bigger lot RV garage and problem solved.
Old 07-29-2022, 04:42 AM   #28

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
Our rig is outside year round and up here in the forest we get hammered with pine sap pollen and any and everything the trees throw at us. I usually hit the cars once every two years with plain jane Turtle wax they both still look new after 5 years. Gelcoat is a different animal I think. The thought of a cover seems to have a little more appeal after all this work. Of course a full cover seems like another work intensive proposition. I stumbled on a solution tonight. I'm buying a lottery ticket and a win buys new home bigger lot RV garage and problem solved.

It is called pinewax
Lottery 1 billion
Keep our MH clean
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 07-29-2022, 12:38 PM   #29

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Since you mentioned RV full body paint, I wonder if it holds up like automotive paint/clear coat? I only wax my card/truck once a year... and they look like showroom paint... MUCH less work than the gelcoat. BUT... paint over fiberglass??

Correct, if you had full body paint it is less maintenance and is more forgiving to those that don't fully comply.

I wax cars once per year too.

Not sure why so many are worried about waxing RV twice a year? There is a new Waxing facility in La Cruces NM, they have everything. Call Scuba schedule an appointment
Old 07-29-2022, 01:15 PM   #30

THOR #20220
Quote:
Correct, if you had full body paint it is less maintenance and is more forgiving to those that don't fully comply.

I wax cars once per year too.

Not sure why so many are worried about waxing RV twice a year? There is a new Waxing facility in La Cruces NM, they have everything. Call Scuba schedule an appointment

Correct the Scuba diver is here to help
Old 07-29-2022, 02:11 PM   #31

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
I'm going to try the Gel-Gloss Wash and Wax....when we get a cooler spell.

If it is not what ya'll say it is, where exactly is Las Cruces?
Old 07-29-2022, 02:39 PM   #32

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post

I have been washing cars for years and NEVER really cared for the Car/wax solutions (think that Blue Corral crap ay Wal mart). The first time I tried the RV Gel Gloss Wash & Wax the way it poured I knew something was different. There may be other similar or even better, but I personably will guarantee that after your purchase, you will be "Happy" Of course if you are not "Happy" the offer does not apply as it only applies to Happy

After you have used a few times, you can just wash your car or RV with no solution and it will sudz up. I wash after every trip, spray it on the windshield and bugs; wait a few minutes and they just come right off with a hose or light brush.

If you dispensed it properly in application; the 1 gallon will last you years.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:06 PM   #33

THOR #24565
Sounds like I'm gonna be Happy (ier).

Never wash the rig yet. Just used BugsNAll for windshield.
The Axis is needing a bath.

I appreciate the suggestions.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:25 PM   #34

THOR #20220
Quote:
I have been washing cars for years and NEVER really cared for the Car/wax solutions (think that Blue Corral crap ay Wal mart). The first time I tried the RV Gel Gloss Wash & Wax the way it poured I knew something was different. There may be other similar or even better, but I personably will guarantee that after your purchase, you will be "Happy" Of course if you are not "Happy" the offer does not apply as it only applies to Happy

After you have used a few times, you can just wash your car or RV with no solution and it will sudz up. I wash after every trip, spray it on the windshield and bugs; wait a few minutes and they just come right off with a hose or light brush.

If you dispensed it properly in application; the 1 gallon will last you years.

Amen brother !
The cheapest best rv car clean wax I have ever had.
Takes a few minutes to mix in a bucket and go.
When it rains water beads on the MH.
I CANT belive more don't try to save money with this stuff.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:28 PM   #35

THOR #20220
Quote:

las cruces - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tDP1TeoKKmyNGD04spJLFZILipNTi0G AEyEBxc&q=las+cruces&oq=las+cruces&aqs=chrome.1.69 i57j46i131i433i512j69i60l3j69i59l2j35i39l3.6415j0j 4&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220729-092720_Chrome.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	38918  
Old 07-29-2022, 04:01 PM   #36

THOR #24565
I've ordered the wash/wax.
And know where LC is...so all the bases are covered!
Old 08-01-2022, 04:53 PM   #37

Model: 31' Chateau
State: Oregon
THOR #24859
Cleaning/Waxing

Do love the posts and feedback on oxidized/cleaning the RV's. We have used TR-3 for all of our vehicles and RV's over the last 10 years. I can honestly say that once the hard work is done over our 31 ft 5th wheel [now have a 31 ft MH] that we spend 3 days to get it detailed and have skipped a year [not on purpose] and it was still good. Do cover our vehicles and RV with nothing else.
https://www.bluemagicusa.com/12a-6-tr-3-resin-glaze/
Old 08-01-2022, 08:42 PM   #38

THOR #24565
We are pretty much set with cleaning products. But, what we need is an excellent wash mop to reach the upper sides with our soapy suds.

What do you recommend for this. I have looked and there is a bunch out there. I suspect much is junk. What have you found for the wash mop?
Old 08-02-2022, 12:54 AM   #39

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
We are pretty much set with cleaning products. But, what we need is an excellent wash mop to reach the upper sides with our soapy suds.

What do you recommend for this. I have looked and there is a bunch out there. I suspect much is junk. What have you found for the wash mop?
DOCAZOO DocaPole 5-12 Foot (20 ft Reach) Soft Bristle Car Wash Brush & Extension Pole for Cars, Trucks, Boats, RVs, House Siding, Floors, and More https://a.co/d/8kdYZ9Z

I got this last month and it works great. Soap down a side at a time with pressure washer foam cannon, go over it with the brush, then spray off with pressure washer. It's deceiving... the bristle tips are velvet smooth. I've seen detailers use these, and that's what convinced me.
Old 08-02-2022, 01:11 PM   #40

THOR #24565
Thank you

Tags
gel coat, oxidation, window spots