Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2022, 11:49 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Based on this thread, I was going to get some Meguiars 49 (Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover) and follow that with Meguiars 45 (Marine/RV Polish and Gloss) and then Meguiars 59 (Marine/RV Quick Wax and Protect).

But then I found a youtube video where the guy said that instead of the 49 and 45 he got better results and saved a step by using Meguiars 67 (Marine/RV One Step Compound). Has anyone here used that and can comment on the results?

The upper front cap on my class C has gotten very oxidized, even though I have waxed it regularly. That's the main area I want to restore. The rest of the RV is still pretty shiny, with some areas of black streaks that I need to deal with.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:22 AM   #42

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
I would guess it really depends on the condition of your rig. A one step product on heavy oxidation is probably not the best choice. If you have a light to medium state you might have a better chance of success.Years of hand polishing and waxing has taught me short cuts usually produce less than optimal results. Maybe try posting a few pics of your project and get a few opinions from the gleaming gurus.
Old 09-17-2022, 04:53 PM   #43

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
My class C is 5 years old and has 90K miles on it, and it is parked outside with a lot of trees by the driveway. I've kept it clean and have waxed it once or twice a year, but the front cap was getting badly oxidized, especially the upper part of it. It looked chalky white and even had some mold growing on the very upper part of it.

Based on this thread, I decided to try the Meguiar's Marine/RV products. They sell a restoration kit that has #59 Oxidation Remover, #45 High Gloss Polish, and #56 Pure Wax. On the heavily oxidized parts I used a random orbit polisher for the oxidation remover and polish, then applied the wax by hand. On other parts of the RV that weren't so oxidized I skipped the oxidation remover, and on some areas that still looked pretty good I only did the wax.

The results were good, as you can see in the photos. For its age and mileage it still looks pretty good. I wish I had taken some before photos so you could see the difference.

I'll have to wait and see how long the results last. I'm not convinced that the Pure Wax is going to last a long time, but I'll give it a chance. I tried ceramic polish in the past thinking it would last a lot longer, but it didn't. I had some Jetseal 109 that I tried a few years ago, and so far that has been the longest lasting product I've tried.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVside.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	39487   Click image for larger version

Name:	RVfront.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	39488  

Click image for larger version

Name:	RVcap.jpg