Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2020, 10:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29D
State: Maryland
THOR #19558
cleaning out fresh water tank?

Hi everyone. On our way home from our latest, we realized that we have had the same water in the clean tank for a month with various trips in the interim. Just to be safe, today we the tank and DW wants to clean it a bit before we refill. Any thoughts? We seem to think that we've heard like a quarter cup bleach with the next 40 gallons, fill, empty, fill, empty and then fill.

Thoughts?

2009 SmartCar Toad,the "SMT L80"
Johnandcarols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:37 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I think it's one ounce of hydrogen peroxide; to ten gallons of water.

But I'm not in my Office, and my memory isn't what it used to be.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:45 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnandcarols View Post
Hi everyone. On our way home from our latest, we realized that we have had the same water in the clean tank for a month with various trips in the interim. Just to be safe, today we the tank and DW wants to clean it a bit before we refill. Any thoughts? We seem to think that we've heard like a quarter cup bleach with the next 40 gallons, fill, empty, fill, empty and then fill.
Thoughts?
Depends on the where the water came from. With well water near the Atlantic coast, yes. If it is city water with a slight chlorine smell, it is probably not necessary. I drain my water tank and water heater after every trip to avoid smelly water. The water at home comes out the Edwards Aquifer and contains some sulfides. A little heat for a month and the worse smelling water you can imagine. Because of hard water through the west, we use a water softener to fill the tank and only use tank water when traveling. We never store the coach as it is used all year around. It is different for all of us just decide what is best for you and the DW.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:29 AM   #4

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Quote:

Thoughts?
There are lots of options. Your RV store has specific products to care for your fresh water system. Some people like vinegar. I use bleach. (Not everyone likes bleach.) First, I drain the fresh water tank. Then I add a diluted bleach mixture. The ratio I use is about 1 cup per 60 gallons. My tank's only 30 gallons so I put a half cup in a 2 gallon bucket, pour that into the tank and then fill it up as usual with a hose. I'll then drive around for 10 to 15 minutes to slosh it about and then leave it overnight. The next day, I drain it; fill it with fresh water; drive around; let it sit for a couple of hours and then repeat - maybe 2 or 3 times. My wife does not like the smell of bleach so when it passes her nose test, I'm done. Don't forget to pump the bleach and fresh water through the lines so everything get's cleaned out.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Really revolves around how you filled the tank and what the water quality was regarding impurities and biological control

Bleach contains sodium hydroxide as well as chlorine

Great disinfectant and is easy and generally available

I hate the smell and taste of even tap water with free chlorine which you need to effectively kill microbes

Unless you have a known serious contamination problem, often self created, the peroxide safer and simpler

Don't use the same hose for black tank flush for potable and so on

1 ounce 3% per 10 gallons typically does the job
Old 09-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #6

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
I guess everyone's a bit different on this. On a month long RV trip we probably add water from 12 different sources. We don't sanitize and have never had an issue, although some places have water that has faint chlorine or sulfide odors. We drain our tank yearly but do not sanitize.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:31 PM   #7

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyhehn View Post
I guess everyone's a bit different on this. On a month long RV trip we probably add water from 12 different sources. We don't sanitize and have never had an issue, although some places have water that has faint chlorine or sulfide odors. We drain our tank yearly but do not sanitize.
Your are lucky to have traveled in areas that have good water quality

One day if you travel in different areas you will know what we are talking about
Old 09-09-2020, 10:51 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
He can't hear you: he's in the john (again).
Old 09-09-2020, 11:34 PM   #9

THOR #6903
[emoji106]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
He can't hear you: he's in the john (again).
Old 09-10-2020, 11:28 PM   #10

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
I guess we all handle this differently. My thought is that the risk of getting a waterborne illness occurs immediately upon hooking up to a contaminated system. Sanitizing your tanks 2 weeks later does nothing to protect you - way too late. A water filter might help depending on the microbe and the filter pore size.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:05 PM   #11

THOR #6903
Great point

And exactly why I add peroxide when filling for the first time following storage

When the campground is on well water I treat at around 1/2 ounce of peroxide per 10 gallons

Some states require water to be tested and chlorinated if above certain occupancy numbers

If you're sanitizing because of a suspected issue then you need to be aggressive
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyhehn View Post
I guess we all handle this differently. My thought is that the risk of getting a waterborne illness occurs immediately upon hooking up to a contaminated system. Sanitizing your tanks 2 weeks later does nothing to protect you - way too late. A water filter might help depending on the microbe and the filter pore size.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:58 PM   #12

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
I just want to add to the sanitize routine...when you've filled the tank with diluted bleach, open each tap until you smell the chlorine, then close the valve. You want each line to be treated. Of course, rinse each line when you refill the tank with fresh. We only use bottled water for drinking.

OxyClean is a powdered peroxide and water softener. I've not come across a definitive article on the 'net for it's use as fresh water tank sanitizer. I would prefer that over bleach. Both are cheap and effective.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
OxyClean is a powdered peroxide and water softener. I've not come across a definitive article on the 'net for it's use as fresh water tank sanitizer. I would prefer that over bleach. Both are cheap and effective.
Not argue but hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is way different than sodium percarbonate (Na2H2CO6) although they are both peroxides.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:57 PM   #14

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Google says.........................1/4 cup of bleach per 15 Gal. Sound like a cup 60 wins the bet.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:35 AM   #15

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
in the manual they should tell you what to do to sanitize your water system. I know my manual does. Like others have mentioned, use bleach up to the amount of fresh water. We use 3/4th of a cup for our 50 gallon tank. They recommend you do this once or twice a year.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:27 PM   #16

THOR #6903
Noticed the are selling 7.5% chlorine bleach now fir around 6 bucks per jug

10% has been available for years primarily for exterior cleaning and pools

Household is 5.25 chlorine and like all stored liquid halogens they decay over time

Nice thing about hydrogen peroxide is the extra oxygen molecule sure isn’t going to hurt you or anything it contacts, generally speaking

The reason bleach is popular is cost and traceability
Old 09-16-2020, 06:24 PM   #17

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:

Thoughts?
I put in a half a cup of bleach (that's more than they call for) but they say let it sit for 3 hours drain, rinse and fill
Old 09-16-2020, 06:35 PM   #18

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:

Thoughts?
Tap water they say is good for 6 months and my distilled water is good for one year on the package.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:42 PM   #19

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
1/4 cup household bleach per 15 gal water. Fill it up and let it sit for a couple of hours. Do the water lines while your at it.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:21 PM   #20

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #10883
Water, water

we don't "store our RV either as we continue to use it all year. Our water here is really good and tastes great. We almost never by bottles of water. I put in some water when we are going to use it after I drain it out in December after out December trip, I don't drain the rest, I keep a space heater in there in the winter. Doesn't freeze here much and the water never gets bad or smelly over the year.