Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2022, 03:48 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Cleaning and Painting RV Propane Tanks

I have read few recent threads about propane tanks; but could find none about what people do to clean or paint them to cover / prevent rust from road grime and salts. If you paint, how often do you paint?

What do you use to clean
What kind of primer or paint would you use?
Is this work best let for Repair Center or Dealer?
How much might it cost?
Should propane tank be empty before trying to clean or paint?

I have 17.6 Gal Manchester Tank ( 3 years old) Shows rusting on the bottom.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:58 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Just drove out Wednesday and got our propane topped off. The tech asked me how I got my propane compartment/tank controls etc. so clean. I told him soapy water and a rag. He must see some really dirty tanks!

I replaced a mudflap directly behind the tank last summer that had burned itself away contacting the rear tires. It had covered the tank in black soot... really nasty. That precipitated the tank wash job. And it just hasn't been driven in rain yet... coming up this weekend.

But anyway, what's special about painting a propane tank? I'd just give it a good wash job and lightly hand-sand any rust spots. Then hit it with 2 or 3 light coats of gloss Rust-Oleum.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:15 AM   #3

State: North Carolina
THOR #26661
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I have read few recent threads about propane tanks; but could find none about what people do to clean or paint them to cover / prevent rust from road grime and salts. If you paint, how often do you paint?

What do you use to clean
How much might it cost?

We cleaned and painted. Now we watched RV Street on YouTube. Here Martin have a video easy to understand if you need more guidance.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:16 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I have sprayed on some WalMart SuperTec Foaming Engine Cleaner and hosed it off. It got most of the road grime off it. Then I would use soap and water and a sponge to finish it off.

After seeing how bad my propane tank and leveler power unit were looking after only a year because they were exposed under chassis to all of the road grime and debris, I decided to do something better when I bought my Magnitude.

I used aluminum angle iron and an aluminum sheet to build a protective floor around the propane tank and the leveler power unit to keep road grime, stones and other road debris away from the tank and the power unit. They both stay much cleaner and better looking now and they have some protection in case I would inadvertently run over something at highway speeds.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:37 AM   #5

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Just drove out Wednesday and got our propane topped off. The tech asked me how I got my propane compartment/tank controls etc. so clean. I told him soapy water and a rag. He must see some really dirty tanks!

I replaced a mudflap directly behind the tank last summer that had burned itself away contacting the rear tires. It had covered the tank in black soot... really nasty. That precipitated the tank wash job. And it just hasn't been driven in rain yet... coming up this weekend.

But anyway, what's special about painting a propane tank? I'd just give it a good wash job and lightly hand-sand any rust spots. Then hit it with 2 or 3 light coats of gloss Rust-Oleum.
Exactly what we did on the farm and ranch
Rusted tanks were primer coated, never emptied
Old 05-05-2022, 03:00 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:

What do you use to clean
How much might it cost?

There are several facilities that specialize in testing, cleaning and repainting ASME propane tanks. LPG Ventures is one. Propane tanks need to adsorb heat to maintain proper pressure. On a cold night, running the propane furnace can stress the output of the tanks especially if the tank is less than 1/2 full. Proper type and thickness of paint is critical for correct operation. Most big propane dealers that sell propane tanks for home or farm use have a deal with tanks re-conditioners, as it is illegal to sell a used tank that has not been re-conditioned.. I had the 88 lb ASME tank re-conditioned with new valves and gauge float on my 1968 UltraVan for less than $150. By the way rust is a great insulator; even better than some paints.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:31 PM   #7

THOR #9178
We used 1150 gallon tanks for large users , 500 gal and 125's on the tank heaters

Painted the large one in the backyard to look like a watermelon

Cold climate or very cold temperatures can and will as Beau described reduce vapor pressure

New installation today will have the low pressurd reggulator at the point of entry

Many folks choose to bury the tanks for temperatures as well as safety and astetics

A direct burial tank is 125% higher than a year ago if you can find it

Should you choose to paint your tank, don't paint the placard or valves
Old 05-05-2022, 09:50 PM   #8

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:

What do you use to clean
How much might it cost?

Grandson with a promise he inherits my GT3
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:36 PM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
There are several facilities that specialize in testing, cleaning and repainting ASME propane tanks. LPG Ventures is one. Propane tanks need to adsorb heat to maintain proper pressure. On a cold night, running the propane furnace can stress the output of the tanks especially if the tank is less than 1/2 full. Proper type and thickness of paint is critical for correct operation. Most big propane dealers that sell propane tanks for home or farm use have a deal with tanks re-conditioners, as it is illegal to sell a used tank that has not been re-conditioned.. I had the 88 lb ASME tank re-conditioned with new valves and gauge float on my 1968 UltraVan for less than $150. By the way rust is a great insulator; even better than some paints.
Does the recondition include new paint?

FWIW, I don't think my tanks has any issues, it works find and is very accurate. I just happened to be under it the other day and I noticed the rust on the bottom. I may have to take pictures. I am one of those that is not afraid to ask when I don't know, but don't want to wait too long before taking any action that I should have taken.

I will pay $150 in heartbeat if they sand and repaint the thing, anything else would be bonus.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-05-2022, 10:42 PM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have sprayed on some WalMart SuperTec Foaming Engine Cleaner and hosed it off. It got most of the road grime off it. Then I would use soap and water and a sponge to finish it off.

After seeing how bad my propane tank and leveler power unit were looking after only a year because they were exposed under chassis to all of the road grime and debris, I decided to do something better when I bought my Magnitude.

I used aluminum angle iron and an aluminum sheet to build a protective floor around the propane tank and the leveler power unit to keep road grime, stones and other road debris away from the tank and the power unit. They both stay much cleaner and better looking now and they have some protection in case I would inadvertently run over something at highway speeds.
I saw your propane floor thread. That is beyond my skillset; so I was looking for next best option before it got too bad. I don't think the tank is dirty, just starting to rust pretty goof on the very bottom. Rust on the top part looks normal and tank still shines in most areas up top.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:50 PM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky-Rose View Post
We cleaned and painted. Now we watched RV Street on YouTube. Here Martin have a video easy to understand if you need more guidance.
Thanks I searched RV Street and they have a lot of stuff and when I added propane the hits went through the roof and they were not RV Street.

If you happen to see and get a link let me know. I have watched a few but responses and videos are all over the place. Not sure I have had two say the same thing yet.
Old 05-06-2022, 01:17 AM   #12

State: Arizona
THOR #20184
You can wire brush, sand, wipe down with a degreaser and get some Krylon spray paint that is also a primer. Nothing big to do and the tank if not leaking does not need to be removed and reconditioned. Don’t make it a bigger job than some are suggesting. You do not have to drain the tank either! Painted hundreds of cylinders and large storage tanks in my career.
Old 05-06-2022, 01:17 AM   #13

THOR #13058
Here are the pictures. As you can see the top part is not so bad, but the bottom needs something ( I think) This is 2 1/2 year old tank.

I am thinking about maybe sanding the rust on bottom,, taping off the bottom of the tank, and paint with gray or aluminum Rustoleum (no primer) and just call it a day.

All ideas are welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220505_182303.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	37322   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220505_180700.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	37323  

Old 05-06-2022, 01:19 AM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip500 View Post
You can wire brush, sand, wipe down with a degreaser and get some Krylon spray paint that is also a primer. Nothing big to do and the tank if not leaking does not need to be removed and reconditioned. Don’t make it a bigger job than some are suggesting. You do not have to drain the tank either! Painted hundreds of cylinders and large storage tanks in my career.
We posted same time, this is what advice I seek. Look at the pictures and tell me what you think.
Old 05-06-2022, 01:41 AM   #15

State: Arizona
THOR #20184
I believe what I suggested will do the trick! It should just be superficial rust. Those tanks are pretty hefty and would require a lot to rust through. I’ve seen them take some pretty good impacts from crashes and not be damaged at all! Used to haul propane in a 2000 gallon bobtail tanker and the truck also ran on propane. Cleaned and repainted the fuel tank several times.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:10 AM   #16

State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
This!! . I said Rust-Oleum in my previous post, but Krylon is the new kid... and far superior IMO. No priming needed.

I was looking under my rear bumper a couple days ago during a general visual inspection before our upcoming trip. Found a nice rust spot... I remember dragging in an unlevel gravel lot last summer. The plan is to sand down to clean metal and spray a few coats of Krylon. It's underneath where no one can see it, but if not fixed it will spread under "good" paint and start peeling the paint as rain/moisture migrates under.

It's odd that your propane tank has rusted that much in a short period... knowing how well you maintain your rig. Must be a lot of moisture?? Or maybe just a crappy factory tank pain job?
Old 05-06-2022, 03:49 AM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
You can wire brush, sand, wipe down with a degreaser and get some Krylon spray paint that is also a primer. :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
This!! . I said Rust-Oleum in my previous post, but Krylon is the new kid... and far superior IMO. No priming needed.

I was looking under my rear bumper a couple days ago during a general visual inspection before our upcoming trip. Found a nice rust spot... I remember dragging in an unlevel gravel lot last summer. The plan is to sand down to clean metal and spray a few coats of Krylon. It's underneath where no one can see it, but if not fixed it will spread under "good" paint and start peeling the paint as rain/moisture migrates under.

It's odd that your propane tank has rusted that much in a short period... knowing how well you maintain your rig. Must be a lot of moisture?? Or maybe just a crappy factory tank pain job?
Ok here is the Krylon. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Krylon-Fu...2-oz/680434595

I was hoping to be able to paint; so I could control it better underneath the underbelly. But I may have no choice but Spray Paint? It is also hard to get the color. Manchester Tank says a Gray paint but my tank looks almond, but maybe it is gray.

I have been in 3 ice / snowstorms with this RV; so maybe I have salt damage? The worst was in Colorado, we drove on salt slush for 4 hours before getting near New Mexico and clear streets. No big deal, I am not gonna blame and bash the RV Mfg for some rust

At the moment, I am thinking to just spray the bottom, so it may have two color tones? The top looks good to me?
Old 05-06-2022, 11:04 AM   #18

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Awesome, I too, missed your thread on this.

Have you considered something along this line to deter the catalytic converter thieves?

I'm thinking about doing something, sure would be a bummer coming back to the RV, then when ready to leave, VAR-ROOM, loud exhaust!
Old 05-06-2022, 11:55 AM   #19

THOR #9178
Quote:
Does the recondition include new paint?

FWIW, I don't think my tanks has any issues, it works find and is very accurate. I just happened to be under it the other day and I noticed the rust on the bottom. I may have to take pictures. I am one of those that is not afraid to ask when I don't know, but don't want to wait too long before taking any action that I should have taken.

I will pay $150 in heartbeat if they sand and repaint the thing, anything else would be bonus.
Tank shops here requires empty removed tanks

Then you pay to have them inspected prior to refilling after you reinstall
Old 05-06-2022, 12:04 PM   #20

THOR #9178
Almond, white, or gray is typically LP tank colors

We painted most of them Almond

Rust shows up more on white painted tanks

Your tank definitely had a light coat of paint