Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Cleaning Tips

All,

I just got our RV back, they did a great job (under extended warranty) in replacement of the heater. When I got home I discovered a big smear of the silicone caulking used to seal the unit. Some one wiped off most of the stuff but left a very thin but wide smear.

So for the more senior RV'ers I ask: What solvent is safe to use to remove silicone smear off, BUT...not damage the paint or the decal? Mineral spirits? Gas? Rubbing alcohol????

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
There is a gel type of silicone remover you can get at hardware stores but it's hard to find. Silicone is designed to resist most solvents, some brands can be cleaned with turpentine. Best bet is a new single edge razor blade, a steady hand, and patience. Depending on how thick the silicone is you might be able to use your fingernail or a plastic scraper. I know you probably wanted an easy way, sorry, don't think there is one!
Old 03-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #3

THOR #2142
I mounted two small 4"X7" metal plates one on each side of my RV behind the driver and passanger side widows so I could set up my WiFi antenna at campsites. I used a special adhesive for fiberglass and had to use a razor blade to remove the surplus. What a time and what a headache...yep, I was hoping for an easier fix to the mess.

Thanks or the reality check.

Doc

Old 03-18-2017, 09:36 PM   #4

THOR #5196
What type of wifi do you have that requires the metal plates? Are they wired or just groundplanes?
Old 03-19-2017, 12:03 AM   #5

THOR #2142
Super D,

Sorry for the confusion. I set up an Infotainment center on the top self over the sink but I wanted access for an ouside WiFi Antenna but no perm holes (I run the cable thru the little window over the sink) so I have the metal plates on the side of the RV so I can use a rare-earth magnet to hold the mount for the WiFi External Antenna (I place magnetic US Flags on the plates while in transit).

I went with a RadioLab Wave RV Antenna (misplaced the picture). The USB port from the Antenna goes into a Quantum Byte Fanless MiniPC that then gets split to two HDMI cables that run to the inside and outside TV and using a Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard I can have WiFi and Netflix (plus other similiar programs). I also have a Samsung TSST Slim Bluray Writer External Drive (the white thing in the picture below) that is the hard drive for the Computer and doubles as DVD player for the inside and outside TV for movies.

I posted the details and parts I used on another Thread this Forum, search for Infotainment Center if you are interested.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1489881069
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MountPassangerside.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	4253   Click image for larger version

Name:	DriversideFlag.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	4254  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Onboard Comp.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	4255  

Old 03-19-2017, 01:01 AM   #6

THOR #5196
Doc, very inventive and very well done!!!
Old 03-19-2017, 01:34 AM   #7

THOR #2142
Thanks. Including the Antenna it ran about $650 and some time and effort.

In another year or two it will be obsolete. Hopefully by then the 12 volt Indash Computers will have come down in price and then time to upgrade.

Doc

Old 03-19-2017, 02:29 AM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
Hopefully by then the 12 volt Indash Computers will have come down in price and then time to upgrade.
Sadly I don't think there is a market large enough for these. I keep looking and there only seems to be 1 manufacturer and the prices remain high.

I think you'd be better off installing a touch screen monitor in the dash with a separate PC unit (one that you could replace periodically as they become obsolete).
Automotive touch screen monitor.
Small form factor PC--12V
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:51 AM   #9

Model: Chateau 28F
State: Colorado
THOR #2768
Removing silicone caulk

I have heard that denatured alcohol will remove silicone caulk. I have not tried it myself, but will be trying it soon. I will stay away from the decals since I'm not sure what might happen with them.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #10

THOR #2142
All,

Got a bit sidetracked with the Infotainment center.

I went searching on the internet and found a video that used WD40 to help remove old dried out caulking from a fiberglass bathtub. So, with WD40 in hand and a clean cloth I sprayed a very small amount of WD40 on the cloth and it took the silicone caulk smear right off. I got emboldened so I took the WD40 to a pourly (factory installed and caulked) outside speaker and with a little effort removed the smears around it. As of 7:15 this morning no ill effects to the paint, plastic or fiberglass where the WD40 was used.

Jamie, I hope the demand increases for the 12V InDash Computer as one would be able to download apps making it possible to really have an all in one "Infotainment Center" with Radio, WiFi, Bluetooth, Navigation, Engine Diagnostics, MUCH better Video feed and viewing of any and all outside cameras...even a nice dash cam that would double as nite time serveillance camera all with HDMI feeds to the TV's throughout the RV. With a wireless keyboard all the TV's could be computer workstations. With every TV now a monitor add a good soundbar and no need for a seperate bedroom radio or trying to figure out how to get music to the outside speakers!

Well, a man's got to be allowed to dream!

Doc

Old 03-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike
Jamie, I hope the demand increases for the 12V InDash Computer as one would be able to download apps making it possible to really have an all in one "Infotainment Center" with Radio, WiFi, Bluetooth, Navigation, Engine Diagnostics, MUCH better Video feed and viewing of any and all outside cameras...even a nice dash cam that would double as nite time serveillance camera all with HDMI feeds to the TV's throughout the RV. With a wireless keyboard all the TV's could be computer workstations. With every TV now a monitor add a good soundbar and no need for a seperate bedroom radio or trying to figure out how to get music to the outside speakers!

Well, a man's got to be allowed to dream!
LOL! I'd love that too
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #12

THOR #5196
So would I!!!