Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Quantum
State: California
THOR #9015
Question Winterizing in Milder Climates, 2017 Quantum

2017 Quantum - New to this RV ownership club and want to know what if anything I need to do to winterize my Rig.

We live in the foothills Near Angels Camp. It rarely snows here at about 2500 feet. We usually get one snow event each year with just enough snow to stick around for a day or two. We also have some nights that get down to freezing which can last a few days depending on the situation. For this winter our Quantum will be stored outside.

We do plan to use it at least once a month or perhaps twice a month through the entire winter.

So = do I need to even worry about any weatherization or am I OK to skip weatherization in this climate? Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #2

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Until I read the line that you were going to use it thru the winter, I was gonna say "just have it winterized". BUT, since you plan on using it, I will say Keep it warm. Get a couple compact space heaters to keep the holding tanks & plumbing warm. And, absolutely keep it plugged into shore power to keep the batteries charged. Even put a float charger on the engine battery.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Choices are to keep it warm... or winterize...
Space heaters can work IF all plumbing will be reached by them... Some units have plumbing in a wet bay heated by the furnace - others have a sewer line outside under the coach - these wouldn't be heated by inside space heaters.... and of course you have the electric bill.

It really is simple enough to winterize... Blow out the water supply lines with compressed air... and if it will be below freezing for more than a few hours (meaning days) pour some antifreeze down the drains... probably less than 1/2 gallon total.
Nothing to 'undo' to use the unit - just go...
Should take you less than 15 min after you've done it a couple of times and only cost is the antifreeze.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This comes down to how much freezing weather your rig will be exposed to...
Since I'm overly cautious: I'd drain and winterize everything. frozen pipes can be your worst nightmare!
It's not just whether or not your tanks are heated: it's also about the plumbing underneath the rig. Is that also protected???
Also: you definitely want to add some fuel stabilizer to the fuel.

(Or park it at a lower elevation that stays a bit warmer...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Also: you definitely want to add some fuel stabilizer to the fuel.
Since the OP stated they will be using the rig once or twice a month - didn't mention anything for the fuel... Wouldn't hurt - but if continuing to use regularly shouldn't be needed either...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:14 PM   #6

Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #8350
For anyone with a quantum I did a self winterization and blew out the lines and put antifreeze in the traps. I did not put antifreeze in the fresh water tank because it’s a pain in the ass to pull the filter.

What I didn’t do the first time was clear the ice maker line in the fridge.

This caused the elbow at the bottom of the fridge to break and allow water to spray out when pressurized.

The next time I winterized I left the ice maker on and the compressor attached for a few days with pressurized air in the lines until the ice maker stopped making ice and had blown out that line.

There’s probably an easier way if you want to disassemble the ice maker but I had time before the next freeze and it worked fine for me.