Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2021, 05:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34 j
State: North Carolina
THOR #22352
Coach batteries

I have a 2017 Thor Windsport, and recently I’ve had an issue, my coach batteries will not charge while on the generator or driving. But I am getting them charged while plugged into shore power. Today I also noticed while the generator is running, not hooked to shore power, my AC units aren’t turning on. I’m hoping it’s all the same issue. I tested the batteries with my multi meter, and I’m getting 13.5 while plugged in. But not when engine is running or generator. Maybe converter? Any thoughts

Old 05-02-2021, 06:31 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Check to see if the AC breaker at the generator has tripped open. It might be hard to find, but should be located on the gen unit.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:58 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Well, the generator not charging nor powering the A/C but shore power will is a different issue from the chassis engine not charging while driving.

So lets take the generator issue first. Your AC from the generator is probably off due to the generator not being set correctly or not being switched by the ATS or manual method. Does the microwave also not work. Then that is almost certainly the generator breaker or a power switching problem.

Onan generators have a breaker that can be reached by removing the access cover. On my QG4000 it is on the lower left and looks like a toggle switch. See if that breaker is on. If not that is the problem.

If the breaker was on then it is probably the generator switching. MHs do it two ways. The old way is a 30A outlet inside a compartment that you plug in your shore power cord when you want generator power but plug it in to the shore power pedestal when you want that power. It is simple and positive. It doesn't fail but you have to do the manual switching.

The other way is an automatic transfer switch (ATC) that does that switching for you.

Either you have the old way and you are not plugging in the shore power cord correctly or if you have an ATS that is bad which is often the case.

Now lets talk about the chassis engine not charging. MHs have an Intellitec bidirectional isolation relay delay (BIRD) or a Precision Circuits battery isolation manager (BIM) which connects the chassis batteries to the coach batteries to charge them. Some have nothing, but a 2017 MH probably has the BIRD device.

Measure the coach batteries voltage while resting and little load is on it. It should read 12.5-12.8 volts if the batteries are near fully charged. Then start the chassis engine, wait a few minutes and check the battery voltage again. It should have gone up above 13.0. If it has all is working ok but realize that the chassis alternator is a fixed output voltage and doesn't charge very fast.

If the voltage stays the same then the BIRD is probably bad. Most likely it has the Trombetta isolation relay that goes bad and is easily replaced.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

David
Old 05-03-2021, 12:39 AM   #4

Model: Windsport 34 j
State: North Carolina
THOR #22352
Fixed the generator part

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Well, the generator not charging nor powering the A/C but shore power will is a different issue from the chassis engine not charging while driving.

So lets take the generator issue first. Your AC from the generator is probably off due to the generator not being set correctly or not being switched by the ATS or manual method. Does the microwave also not work. Then that is almost certainly the generator breaker or a power switching problem.

Onan generators have a breaker that can be reached by removing the access cover. On my QG4000 it is on the lower left and looks like a toggle switch. See if that breaker is on. If not that is the problem.

If the breaker was on then it is probably the generator switching. MHs do it two ways. The old way is a 30A outlet inside a compartment that you plug in your shore power cord when you want generator power but plug it in to the shore power pedestal when you want that power. It is simple and positive. It doesn't fail but you have to do the manual switching.

The other way is an automatic transfer switch (ATC) that does that switching for you.

Either you have the old way and you are not plugging in the shore power cord correctly or if you have an ATS that is bad which is often the case.

Now lets talk about the chassis engine not charging. MHs have an Intellitec bidirectional isolation relay delay (BIRD) or a Precision Circuits battery isolation manager (BIM) which connects the chassis batteries to the coach batteries to charge them. Some have nothing, but a 2017 MH probably has the BIRD device.

Measure the coach batteries voltage while resting and little load is on it. It should read 12.5-12.8 volts if the batteries are near fully charged. Then start the chassis engine, wait a few minutes and check the battery voltage again. It should have gone up above 13.0. If it has all is working ok but realize that the chassis alternator is a fixed output voltage and doesn't charge very fast.

If the voltage stays the same then the BIRD is probably bad. Most likely it has the Trombetta isolation relay that goes bad and is easily replaced.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

David
Hey David, that fixed my generator issues, it was the 30a breakers were switched and now I know what and where to look at to fix that next time, Thank you so much.
As far as my next or same issue, as I said while driving after a few hours I noticed my batteries continued to drain, wasn’t sure if it was just bad batteries and was about to buy new ones. But after getting my multi meter out, it’s just not charging the coach batteries, it does charge the chassis,(engine) battery. Just not the 2 batteries in my side cabinet. I’ve read some issues with converters or switches that are allowing it to change . It does charge fine while plugged into shore power. So if you have any other ideas, your batting 100% . While I’m asking do you see the value in lithium batteries? I use my RV probably 10 times a year, not many places do I go that I can’t plug in, or run my generator. But if the value is worth it I might be in the market.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:25 AM   #5

State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
How do you know that your batteries aren’t getting charged while driving? If they really aren’t the the BIRD is the likely culprit.

David
Old 05-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #6

State: Ontario
THOR #8849
sorry to hijack this thread. I have installed two voltage displays. they go to 13+ when being charged. Some times when I go to shore power I sometimes do not get a charging level of voltage. I start the coach (shore power plugged in) and it seems to reset everything.
RickE
Old 05-16-2021, 06:11 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
How do you know that your batteries aren’t getting charged while driving? If they really aren’t the the BIRD is the likely culprit.

David

I installed this little fellow in a blank switch location on the dash. It lets you monitor both chassis and house batteries whilst driving. I can watch precisely when the alternator brings each one up to 14.1 volts. Doesn’t happen at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3123.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	30543