Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2022, 12:24 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Mine also has a red light flashing on the control board and starts a buzzing sound after it shuts down. Hopefully when I drop it off later this month they locate the issue and resolve it.

Paul

Old 05-02-2022, 01:46 PM   #22

Model: Quantum 29kw
THOR #24729
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Mine also has a red light flashing on the control board and starts a buzzing sound after it shuts down. Hopefully when I drop it off later this month they locate the issue and resolve it.

Paul
Same here. I hear a clicking sound then it will relight. I get 1 blinking flash. LaMesa RV?
Old 05-24-2022, 12:41 PM   #23

THOR #12698
I dropped my coach off Monday at the dealership to have the furnace along with a couple of other items addressed. I am adding the Safe T Plus steering stabilizer installed. I will update about the furnace once they have it repaired. I have a trip scheduled for June 26 and told them I needed it back by June 24 if not earlier. They are also installing the Mobile Eye system as per my sales agreement for the purchase.

Paul
Old 05-24-2022, 02:57 PM   #24

THOR #24729
Quote:
I dropped my coach off Monday at the dealership to have the furnace along with a couple of other items addressed. I am adding the Safe T Plus steering stabilizer installed. I will update about the furnace once they have it repaired. I have a trip scheduled for June 26 and told them I needed it back by June 24 if not earlier. They are also installing the Mobile Eye system as per my sales agreement for the purchase.

Paul
I just picked mine up after 2 weeks in the shop because I had a trip planned After 7 tries and many parts they still can’t figure it out. I pushing them to just replace it.
I’m using a space heater in the am to get the chill off.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:58 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepman1 View Post
I just picked mine up after 2 weeks in the shop because I had a trip planned After 7 tries and many parts they still can’t figure it out. I pushing them to just replace it.
I’m using a space heater in the am to get the chill off.
Isn't replacing all the parts the same as replacing it?

If it's a consistent problem (not intermittent) and they can't logically troubleshoot it and fix it then they don't know what they're doing. They should have the ability to remove the furnace and benchtest it as well to eliminate any possible external causes.

Intermittent problems are a whole different can of worms.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:50 PM   #26

THOR #24729
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Isn't replacing all the parts the same as replacing it?

If it's a consistent problem (not intermittent) and they can't logically troubleshoot it and fix it then they don't know what they're doing. They should have the ability to remove the furnace and benchtest it as well to eliminate any possible external causes.

Intermittent problems are a whole different can of worms.
If it were intermittent I could understand their not being able to locate the issue
They say they bench tested it and it lit. They’re not sure how long it stayed lit.
They thought it was a problem with my motor home. They ran new wiring directly to my new batteries, tried their batteries re routed the ducting , removed the ducting, called Dometic, replaced some parts, and still same thing. Takes a few attempts to light, runs about 4 minutes and shuts down for about 2 minutes, gets 1 flash error code, then repeats that cycle. They aren’t sure what to think. 4 different reps have looked at it. All are baffled. Time to try a new heater
Old 05-24-2022, 06:25 PM   #27
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepman1 View Post
If it were intermittent I could understand their not being able to locate the issue
They say they bench tested it and it lit. They’re not sure how long it stayed lit.
They thought it was a problem with my motor home. They ran new wiring directly to my new batteries, tried their batteries re routed the ducting , removed the ducting, called Dometic, replaced some parts, and still same thing. Takes a few attempts to light, runs about 4 minutes and shuts down for about 2 minutes, gets 1 flash error code, then repeats that cycle. They aren’t sure what to think. 4 different reps have looked at it. All are baffled. Time to try a new heater

Sounds like they're Easter Egging and firing the Parts Canon instead of logically troubleshooting the issue.

If it runs correctly (IF) on the bench then putting a new one in the MH is just a bigger Parts Canon and probably won't fix the source of the problem.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:10 PM   #28

THOR #12698
Just got the coach back yesterday afternoon. The furnace continues to be a mystery for the dealership. They have decided to remove it and replace it with brand new unit hoping it will correct the issue. The furnace will be replaced under warranty. I have to wait for the new unit to arrive and have them remove the old one and replace it with the new one. They also did a few other items under warranty plus I had the install the Safe T plus steering stabilizer on the front end.

Paul
Old 06-25-2022, 10:09 PM   #29

THOR #24729
Quote:
Just got the coach back yesterday afternoon. The furnace continues to be a mystery for the dealership. They have decided to remove it and replace it with brand new unit hoping it will correct the issue. The furnace will be replaced under warranty. I have to wait for the new unit to arrive and have them remove the old one and replace it with the new one. They also did a few other items under warranty plus I had the install the Safe T plus steering stabilizer on the front end.

Paul
Sounds like mine. Been in the shop for 3 weeks this time. They are just now talking about replacing it with new. Been trying to figure it out since November. Not real happy with.
Glad you are getting a new one
Old 06-26-2022, 06:10 PM   #30

Model: Windsport 29M
State: South Dakota
THOR #26894
This sounds like it’s an issue with a restricted airflow, and you’re most likely going off due to the high limit switch, which all furnaces have.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:34 PM   #31

THOR #24729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbox4x4 View Post
This sounds like it’s an issue with a restricted airflow, and you’re most likely going off due to the high limit switch, which all furnaces have.
They checked all the ducting and replaced the high limit switch. Sometimes it won’t even light and sometimes it does. They have called Dometic 3 times and they can’t figure it out either
Old 07-15-2022, 11:09 PM   #32

THOR #12698
My dealership has decided to replace the control board and not the entire furnace as I thought they had told me. I got a call this afternoon that the new control board has arrived so I made an appointment for Aug. 30. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

Paul
Old 07-16-2022, 01:13 AM   #33

THOR #24729
Quote:
My dealership has decided to replace the control board and not the entire furnace as I thought they had told me. I got a call this afternoon that the new control board has arrived so I made an appointment for Aug. 30. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

Paul
I feel your pain. They replaced my control board last week and still didn’t help. Now they are going to run an additional heat duct directly from the heater to the bathroom to increase air flow.
They are going to remove the propane piping to see if there is any liquid in the lines that could prevent it from lighting.

It still takes 6-10 attempts for the burner to stay lit. Runs 4-7 minutes and shuts off.
Good Luck
Old 09-23-2022, 09:53 PM   #34

THOR #12698
I just got my coach back from the dealership. They fixed the generator(new fuel pump), fixed the dinette slide(broken wire) but were not able to get the furnace working. They replaced the circuit control board, sail switch and another sensor plus the propane regulator/valve. It will come on as usual, heats up and then shuts off. They are now going to look at the ducts for any obstruction. I was there when the tech replaced the parts and noticed that more saw dust came out of the heating vents when the furnace did operate. I am now going to look at replacing the Axerra radio since I am having issues with the turn signal cameras on the screen. I also decided to have the Demco Stay and Play tow system installed on my tow vehicle (2014 Ford Flex) with a Blue Ox base plate and Blue Ox Alpha tow bar. I will drop it back at the dealership next month if I can't find any obstructions in the vent lines of the furnace. I just had the Cat Clamp installed on my replacement catalytic converter and will be painting it bright red as well as engraving my VIN on it. Hopefully it deters another theft.

Paul
Old 09-23-2022, 10:13 PM   #35

THOR #24729
Quote:
I just got my coach back from the dealership. They fixed the generator(new fuel pump), fixed the dinette slide(broken wire) but were not able to get the furnace working. They replaced the circuit control board, sail switch and another sensor plus the propane regulator/valve. It will come on as usual, heats up and then shuts off. They are now going to look at the ducts for any obstruction. I was there when the tech replaced the parts and noticed that more saw dust came out of the heating vents when the furnace did operate. I am now going to look at replacing the Axerra radio since I am having issues with the turn signal cameras on the screen. I also decided to have the Demco Stay and Play tow system installed on my tow vehicle (2014 Ford Flex) with a Blue Ox base plate and Blue Ox Alpha tow bar. I will drop it back at the dealership next month if I can't find any obstructions in the vent lines of the furnace. I just had the Cat Clamp installed on my replacement catalytic converter and will be painting it bright red as well as engraving my VIN on it. Hopefully it deters another theft.

Paul
Exactly the same as my furnace. I’ve had the same things replaced and more with no luck. They just removed all ducting and ran an extra 4” duct to the bathroom. Still won’t stay lit. They say they ask the warranty company to replace heater about 4 weeks ago. Still don’t have approval but the Techs give up.
They have been working on it since Nov 2021
Does yours make a louder than usual roaring sound when the burner lights?
Good luck with yours.
Old 09-23-2022, 11:58 PM   #36

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Spark ignitions, propane or NG appliances use a fast acting thermocouple or ionizing flame probe to insure the flame is lit. If the thermocouple or the ionizing probe is not positioned correctly, the control board will shut-off the fuel flow to prevent an explosion or unburnt propane leak. Those that have not physics lesson on flame profiles usually do not check to see if the thermocouple flame/probe thermocouple is correctly positioned. My Norcold fridge had a bent probe which allowed ignition but any air turbulence would shut off the fuel. I had the same problem with the thermocouple in the water heater. I haven not had trouble with the propane furnace, but I suppose it could occur.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:27 AM   #37
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:

Paul
If you're having trouble with the turn signal cameras but not the rear view camera, replacing the radio probably won't fix it as the switching is done external to the radio - only a single video feed and trigger goes to the radio.
Old 10-07-2022, 06:15 PM   #38

THOR #24729
We’ll they finally gave up on fixing my heater. They got the authorization to have it replaced with a new one. 3 weeks delivery. Hope it works.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:04 PM   #39

THOR #12698
Jeepman1

I think I am also going down that same road. My dealership is waiting on a replacement fan now. They replaced the propane regulator, sail switch, thermo over heat sensor and control circuit board. Still not luck to getting it to stay on after 1-3 minutes. I did find construction debris inside one vent of the floor vents. It was a piece of subflooring wood about 2 inches wide and 5 inches long.

Paul
Old 10-21-2022, 05:46 PM   #40

THOR #24729
New furnace

After 11 months and 4 different techs troubleshooting they finally put in a new heater yesterday. So far it’s working great. It will get the real test soon