Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2022, 08:27 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ontario
THOR #28356
Thor Furnace not working

I am so interested to hear if Paul got his furnace working
This may sound a bit bold but ........I KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS !!!

Old 10-26-2022, 08:31 PM   #42

Model: Windsport 29M
State: South Dakota
THOR #26894
Please.....elucidate!
Old 10-26-2022, 08:46 PM   #43

THOR #28356
Thor furnace not working

This all sounded too familiar.
What i ended up doing was to run the furnace with the exhaust pipe attached but with the outer panel removed. My Thor has only the exhaust port opening and not a second opening for air intake like i see on so many other rigs.
I took the panel off and ran the furnace with just the exhaust pipe attached. It works !!!!!!! I made a custom panel the same as the factory one and made an opening just above the exhaust pipe opening with just a screen on it . This keeps the bugs out.
It seems that the high temp switch was always doing what it is supposed to do. It was overheating in there because it wasn`t getting enough air
Old 10-26-2022, 09:44 PM   #44

Model: Quantum 29kw
State: California
THOR #24729
Open door

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkertoy View Post
This all sounded too familiar.
What i ended up doing was to run the furnace with the exhaust pipe attached but with the outer panel removed. My Thor has only the exhaust port opening and not a second opening for air intake like i see on so many other rigs.
I took the panel off and ran the furnace with just the exhaust pipe attached. It works !!!!!!! I made a custom panel the same as the factory one and made an opening just above the exhaust pipe opening with just a screen on it . This keeps the bugs out.
It seems that the high temp switch was always doing what it is supposed to do. It was overheating in there because it wasn`t getting enough air
We tried that months ago just to see if it made a difference and still didn’t work.
What you are saying may be true but didn’t make any difference in my case.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:46 PM   #45

THOR #28356
Ahhhhhhhh nuts !!!!!! I thought for sure it was a design flaw right from the factory. If i run the furnace with the factory cover on with only one opening, the furnace will not run
Old 11-18-2022, 10:02 PM   #46

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
A quick follow up on my furnace issue on our 2022 Thor Miramar 37.1. The dealership has replaced the sail switch, high temp sensor, propane regulator and control board. This morning they replaced the fan motor. Everything started working properly at the dealership today. Before it did not work at the dealership. The tech wanted to keep it overnight and check it again tomorrow morning but we are leaving early tomorrow morning for Utah. I told him I would run it again tonight and tomorrow morning just before we leave. We are planning on leaving at 0400 hrs. Hopefully the fan motor replacement did the trick. The weather in Riverton Utah has been in the 30's during the day and 18 at night. I am bringing our small electric heater, plan on using our electric fireplace and have electric blankets in case the furnace fails again as a back up plan.

Paul
Old 11-27-2022, 02:53 PM   #47

THOR #12698
We just returned from our 1380 mile round trip to Utah. The furnace failed again and after 8 attempts by myself to reset it and get it working we ended up using our back up plan of the electric fireplace and portable electric heaters and a couple of electric blankets. I have another appointment this week to have the dealership remove and bench test the furnace after I told them it sounded like it needed to be replaced. Lucky for us the temps during the day did not drop below 30 and the night temps stayed above 18. We used our onboard water. I placed a shop light in the bay where the water pump was located to keep it warm and working. We did tow our 2014 Ford Flex on this trip with our new Blue Ox Tow Bar and Demco Stay and Play braking System. It made driving and turning very easy. No issues getting into some of the smaller RV fuel stations.

We have another trip back to Utah the Dec. 25 and will really need the furnace for that trip.

Paul
Old 11-27-2022, 03:02 PM   #48

THOR #24729
Sorry to hear about your furnace. I fought for about 10 months before they replaced it. They say my old one bench tested ok but not sure it did.
The new one will light every time. My issue now is they ran an extra duct and it’s so crowded they rub together and break
I’m going to get some better ducting and make the runs myself.
Good luck with your furnace issue.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:38 PM   #49

THOR #12698
I pick up the Miramar this Friday and have been told that the furnace has been repaired and is now working(I have heard that 3 times now). This repair was going to include removing the furnace and bench testing it to determine the problem. I will find out on Friday what was causing the problem. Hopefully it is working since we leave on Sunday for Utah and the snow. I am prepared again just in case with our electric heater and electric fireplace plus our electric blankets. I will also bring a couple of shop lights to put inside the bays to help keep them warm with regular light bulbs (not LED bulbs).

Paul
Old 12-21-2022, 08:08 PM   #50

THOR #24729
They told me mine bench tested good too. 11 months later they gave up and replaced the furnace with new. The labor involved could have paid for 3 or 4 furnaces. Good luck with yours
Old 12-22-2022, 06:59 PM   #51

Model: 40KQ
State: Oklahoma
THOR #24608
Be glad you don't have a Aqua Hot system. UGH !!!!
Old 12-23-2022, 03:28 AM   #52

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by First RV 4 me View Post
Be glad you don't have a Aqua Hot system. UGH !!!!
I wouldn't have anything else for a Class A

They deliver more hours of service, and flexibility than any system

They also cost more and have a learning curve

That is why there in almost all mid and higher end rigs
Old 12-23-2022, 10:14 PM   #53

THOR #12698
I picked up my 2022 Miramar 37.1 today. They finally replaced the entire furnace since they replaced every part possible before replacing the entire furnace. They could not figure out what the issue was even after talking to the manufacturer techs. It now works very well and hopefully we will have many years of service with it. We head out to Utah on Sunday for 8 days in the snow. It will be a test to see if the new furnace continues to operate.

Paul
Old 12-23-2022, 11:38 PM   #54

THOR #24729
Finally

Great to hear. Believe me I know your frustration.
Old 01-04-2023, 01:08 PM   #55

THOR #12698
We just returned from our trip to Utah. It snowed on us a couple of times and rained some while we were visiting friends. The temps dropped to the mid teens at night and the new furnace worked great. When we were out during the day, I left it set at 50 degrees and when we returned at night all I had to do was turn it up to warm up the interior. Once warmed up, I turned on the electric fireplace as well as a portable electric heater. I turned the furnace down and let the electric heaters keep us warm all night. It took some time to get it replaced under warranty going through all of the steps of repairing it but it finally paid off. The dealership doing the repairs has been great and easy to work with during this process.

Paul
Old 01-04-2023, 03:17 PM   #56
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:02 AM   #57

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
My thought would be either the flame sensor is sooted up, or it’s overheating and shutting down
Old 01-05-2023, 12:13 AM   #58
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
My thought would be either the flame sensor is sooted up, or it’s overheating and shutting down
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:25 AM   #59

THOR #12698
They replaced the fan, excessive heat sensor, computer control board, propane valve and then bench tested it and could not figure out what the issue was so under warranty they replaced the entire unit and now it works.

Paul
Old 05-30-2023, 12:14 AM   #60
DAK

Model: Aria 3601
State: Colorado
THOR #25466
a similar issue

Well, gang, I have something very similar in my 2018 Aria 3601.
Blower comes on just fine and it never does shut off.
Burner ignites and runs for a few seconds then shuts down (with blower till running).
After 10-20 seconds burner again ignites and we go through the same process forever more.
There has never been an error code on the control board. I changed the sail and high limit switches and installed a new control board. It does the same thing.
I'm NOT under warranty... any thoughts? Anything else I can try? Gas valve? Tough to track down when there is not error indicated. Water heater works fine on propane and electric.