Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2023, 08:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #29898
Issues with solar controller - fuses

Hi,

We have a 2018 Thor Aria 3601.

We recently purchased new house and chassis batteries, and added 400 more watts of solar. Everything worked for a week, then we got this error on the solar controller which indicates it is not recognizing the batteries. We called the guy who installed the solar and he said most likely we need to change the 30 amp fuse between the controller and the battery.

See pictures... we changed the 30 amp next to the controller, and we changed the 30 amp fuse next to the chassis batteries. Nothing changed. We attempted a reset on the controller, still get the error. We can't find another 30amp fuse. I called Thor and they gave me this schematic of where it is, but could not give me any exact location of where to find it. We have looked under the slide, pulled the drawers out of the bedroom cabinet, looked high and low, checked in the wardrobe and can not locate anything.

Any suggestions? At our witts end, and frustrated.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar controller error and 30 amp fuse.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	42269   Click image for larger version

Name:	schematic from Thor.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	42270  

Click image for larger version

Name:	30 amp fuse near chassis batteries.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	42271  

Old 06-09-2023, 01:55 PM   #2

Model: Miramar
THOR #22927
If you haven’t already power down the unit. If not it could be a defective controller.

Good luck keep us posted.
Old 06-09-2023, 04:03 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well welcome to the form. Until the resident solar panel experts chime in (because I am not), I was just wondering if you checked if the new fuse(s) blew and confirmed if the original fuses were actually blown as well? Also your controller says 12v 30 amp.......but for 400 watt solar panels I assume you would require a 40 amp charge controller with matching fusing (gives a little wiggle room power wise). Maybe it worked for a week because of cloudy or less ideal sunny conditions? Also, curious what your “original solar panels” are rated and the associated controller for them? (you said you added another 400 watts).
Old 06-09-2023, 04:35 PM   #4

Model: Rize 18M
THOR #28965
The code b01 means your controller can't detect batteries. So yeah, could be a fuse. First thing I would do would be to disconnect the panel wire from the controller and see if it still has power. If not, then yes, no connection to the battery.

However, as others pointed out, if you "added 400W of solar" you may be beyond the max capacity of the Controller which only does 30A. Not sure what exactly happens if it goes past that, but if you have the recommended 30A fuse it could have blown.