Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2023, 03:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Oil change interval.

Normally I change oil & filter around 5000 miles. I’m using full synthetic. We’re currently on a 3 month trip. We started with fresh oil & filter. Mostly interstate/highway travel. No dusty BLM at all. Am I pushing it trying to wait till I get home to change it again? Will probably be 10,000 miles. I’ve found most campgrounds don’t want me changing oil on site. What do you do for OLF while on the road?

Old 06-04-2023, 03:23 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
In 1963 on unsmog'd six-pack(three 2 barrel carbs) carbed iron block no sleeves no nickel no cad drawings, 1928 design year, bigblocks with inadequate radiators, using single viscosity REAL dinosaur oil and rudimentary paper filters;

Ford had 6,000 mile oil change recommendations, not commands, recommendations.

Also 100,000 mile grease interval recommendations.

You'll be fine until you get home.
Honest.
No fear mongering
No 'my dad said'
No stories without proofs.
No 'the tv told me'

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 04:57 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Speedco operates commercial truck quick lube services at and around a lot of truck stops locations. Call ahead to verify they have your filter in stock as most of them cater to big rigs with filters the size of a small keg. You might have to pick up a filter and carry it in to them. If you're still under warranty...I'd change it. Mercedes computer systems monitor engine oil life, make the normal dash recommendations and also can tell if the pan was emptied and refilled with sensors. I had mine serviced on the road during this last western run at 9,000. The engine doesn't even had a dipstick for checking oil level...weird!! They say you can run 20,000 miles between oil changes....with 5w30....right! They also are quick to sell new engines.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:44 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
In 1963 on unsmog'd six-pack(three 2 barrel carbs) carbed iron block no sleeves no nickel no cad drawings, 1928 design year, bigblocks with inadequate radiators, using single viscosity REAL dinosaur oil and rudimentary paper filters;

Ford had 6,000 mile oil change recommendations, not commands, recommendations.

Also 100,000 mile grease interval recommendations.

You'll be fine until you get home.
Honest.
No fear mongering
No 'my dad said'
No stories without proofs.
No 'the tv told me'
I fijured I’d be ok. Just needed some duckvice! Away we go!
Old 06-05-2023, 01:43 AM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Full synthetics have been a game changer and it is all I use in all of my vehicles now. The 3000 / 5000-miles or x-months oil change intervals no longer exist as they once did.

The latest rev of the 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel is now capable of a 15,000 mile oil change interval after a redesigned filter and increased oil capacity.

I have a '19 6.7 PowerStroke and did some research before our 3-month / ~13,000 mile trip to Alaska. According to mechanics who work on the 6.7 and send out the oil for analysis when guys who routinely are pulling heavy equipment and go 2000 - 3000 miles over the Computerized Oil Change Indicator have said that oil analysis show no signs of metal fatigue, viscosity breakdown, etc. on these engines... many of them with miles near or over 100K.

I have Rotella T6 and a Motorcraft Filter with me and intend to get the oil changed somewhere by 10,000 miles. However, if i get into a situation where I have to go over 10,000 miles, I'm not going to panic. I had 25,000 on it when I changed the oil before I left. I typically change 5,000 - 6000 miles and only use Rotella T5 Full Syn so I'm not too worried.

On a related note... I have a friend with a 30' boat that is a bear to change the oil & filter. He sends the oil out for analysis at the start of each season. The reports come back indicating everything looks good and that was after 3 years passed since his last oil change.
Old 06-05-2023, 03:10 AM   #6

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
The 6.7l Cummins I have in my pickup is a 18,000 mile interval and same engine in motor home, I use amsoil 5w30 and a 20k mile amsoil filter and I usually don’t go over 15k and the oil still looks light brown, I just don’t like that running that far out on mileage.
Old 06-05-2023, 03:28 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
V-10 gasser... what say about the maximum TIME interval if the mileage is minimal?
Old 06-05-2023, 03:35 AM   #8

THOR #13932
There is truly, no time limit within normal ownership.
I just cracked open an oil pan from a motor shut down in 1971. A bit sticky from paraffin. Perfectly usable if warmed up.
Trans fluid is perfect on same car.

The oil in my vette is 17 years old. 700 miles max.
My zr2? 12 years, 3,000 miles max.
8.1L Chevy? 7 years old. Maybe 5,000 miles max. It's a quart low right now. It's a big block thing.

I'll never ever change based on time.

Old 06-05-2023, 03:47 AM   #9

THOR #16721
Quote:
I just cracked open an oil pan from a motor shut down in 1971. A bit sticky from paraffin. Perfectly usable if warmed up.

So the crap about condensation and whatnot is BS? What about the Onan? My routine has been annually... I haven't got the mileage yet. So you're telling me I'm a sucker for hearsay? I'll gladly change... tell me I'm foolish...
Old 06-05-2023, 04:04 AM   #10

THOR #13932
Condensation boils off at 212°(199° at my altitude).
It boils off within minutes of you starting your vehicle.

We did the math here last year on the whopping ONE PINT of condensation an EMPTY 500 gallon fuel tank can accumulate at 70° and 50 % humidity.
We did it to counter 10 people who veritably screamed
Condensation
when someone's RV wouldn't start.(it was the rodent damage some of us guessed it was)

Do the math on an oil pan (basically making its own closed atmosphere) with about a gallon of free air space.

This is a picture of a cylinder from that engine. No carb on it since 1971, otherwise complete and Sitting outside.
You decide. I can only provide pictures and a bit of math.
I didn't spend two minutes cleaning it of the light oil film that was still on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0503231755_copy_1396x1862.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	42223  

Old 06-05-2023, 04:10 AM   #11

THOR #16721
Quote:
Condensation boils off at 212°(199° at my altitude).
It boils off within minutes of you starting your vehicle.

We did the math last year on the whopping ONE PINT of condensation an EMPTY 500 gallon fuel tank can accumulate at 70° and 50 % humidity.

Do the math on an oil pan (basically making its own closed atmosphere) with about a gallon of free air space.
So it boils off and is forced out the PCV valve? So if I go strictly by mileage on the Ford, are you suggesting meter hours on the Onan?
Old 06-05-2023, 04:13 AM   #12

THOR #13932
I don't know.
My replaced last week 2018 onan had 500+hours(per warranty company. I thought it was 700 hrs) on it and needed no oil added and had never been changed.
The throttle butterfly broke, nothing oil related.

I'll post a cylinder pic of that onan tomorrow.
I have the oil also. I'll do a wipe and take a pic.

Aside:
Onan qg4000 has a quirk.
The amount of oil the manual says to add (from memory it's a quart, 1/2 of a quart and a 1/2 cup. 32+16+4oz) DOES NOT MATCH THE DIPSTICK.

Old 06-05-2023, 05:32 PM   #13

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:

8.1L Chevy? 7 years old. Maybe 5,000 miles max. It's a quart low right now. It's a big block thing.

I'll never ever change based on time.
Most of our farm tractors were changed at 500 hours, full open throttle operation. 200 if we were in a draught and very dusty. OTR tractors 50k as most are run.

The 3000 mile thing or 6 moths has given me a lot of chuckles over the years. Sysnthetics oil and filter can sure be pushed.

Most gear drives are changed once per year if they are operated 24/7 and then mostly just an exercise.

Centrifuges are used on ships and other large engines to clean out debris so the oil doesn't need changed. All you Navy guys know that.

Always amazed me how oil could be good up to 3000 miles and no good then next mile. But then some folks think things through.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:00 PM   #14

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Most of our farm tractors were changed at 500 hours, full open throttle operation. 200 if we were in a draught and very dusty. OTR tractors 50k as most are run.

The 3000 mile thing or 6 moths has given me a lot of chuckles over the years. Sysnthetics oil and filter can sure be pushed.

Most gear drives are changed once per year if they are operated 24/7 and then mostly just an exercise.

Centrifuges are used on ships and other large engines to clean out debris so the oil doesn't need changed. All you Navy guys know that.

Always amazed me how oil could be good up to 3000 miles and no good then next mile. But then some folks think things through.

And yet our real experience will be ignored in favor of advertising slogans.

Pictures of gen oil and internal as promised.
The oil on the edge of the can and the side of the bag kinda speaks for 500 to 700 hour oil.
Piston has an immeasurably thin coat of barely attached carbon. Head looks the same.

Aside:
If you change your own oil put a zip lock bag in your catchment and turn the opening down over the top edges.
A 2 gallon bag does the v10.

Also,
A 2 liter bottle with the bottom cut off encapsulates your previously loosened filter, allowing removal with no spills.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0605231336~01.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	42226   Click image for larger version

Name:	0605231335~01.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	42227  

Old 06-07-2023, 09:19 PM   #15

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
I just past 14K on my 7.3L V8 (370 hrs on engine) and 107 hrs on my GENSET. I usually bring in RV for service but this site makes FIY feel in reach for each task. I can save on the hr maint. fee and put that money into high quality oil and filters.

I tight squeeze getting under RV and pouring the oil in the engine spout. But got er done and the engine purrs with high quality oil. I am wondering if the shop cares enough to put expensive synthetic oil in or are they just filling from there 55 gal drums.

Anyway... See ya next yr. for the next oil change.

PS... do these guys know what torque values are... the filter and plug were in so tight, i needed to break out my 1/2" drive breaker bar to get em loose....bent the crap out of the old filter body as i tried turning the filter....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oil change 6 8 23.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	42259