Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2021, 06:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #21985
Frig and furnace issues

My refrigerator and furnace stop working. I have a 2018 Thor hurricane 29M with an RV fridge. This is a 12 V problem. Other 12 V systems are working. When I plug into shore power, the refrigerator and furnace get no power at all. This is sporadic over the past three months. One clue is the problems started after new house batteries were installed, but I can’t find the problem there. Sometimes both work for two days and then I wake up and they’re not working. RV tech couldn’t find the problem, eventually said they found a problem in a ground wire under the kitchen drawer. Both systems worked for 2 days, but overnight (while using furnace, plugged into 50 amp) it happened again. Woke up to both dead as a door nail. It’s not fuses. It is sporadic. Every Wire I’ve looked at under the drawers near the fridge, around the fuse panel under the bed, and outside ( of the refrigerator) look fine. Ideas???? Anyone else have this problem and find a solution?

Old 01-28-2021, 06:55 PM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
The fridge, furnace, wh, A/C and others use the same 12-volt circuit for control wiring. If it all worked before you changed the house batteries that is where I would start. You have a loose connection.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:25 PM   #3

THOR #21985
Well, I tried that and can’t find a problem with the batteries. And to be clear, water heater (on electric) is working. But the A/c and furnace control panel is dead, as is the frig. ��*♀️ I’ll try unhooking batteries, cleaning, testing and reconnecting again .
Old 01-28-2021, 09:37 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
It's not a battery problem.

The Fridge and Furnace are usually wired to the same 12 VDC fuse from the distribution panel, commonly named "Appliances".

If these are the only two 12 VDC powered items that are not powered while plugged into SP, then regardless of battery condition, the Converter is supplying 12 VDC to the DC buss.

It sound like you have a bad wire connection between the fuse panel and where the Fridge and Furnace tie together into the + 12 VDC supply line. Others with is same issue have found that connection point to be bad.

Trace the wires so that next time you have this intermittent problem you know exactly where to go to put your multimeter leads to troubleshoot the issue as it is occurring.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:06 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
I've had a few problems in past units where the common (white wire) makes intermittent contact. This is not the positive (+) wire. Manufacturers tend to bring several different device's white wires back to a common point and then either wire nut them together or bond to the frame of the vehicle somewhere. You could have several of these scattered around and these are the toughest to troubleshoot. Just a quick something else to look for.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:58 AM   #6

THOR #21985
Thank you!
Old 01-29-2021, 07:38 AM   #7

Model: Vegas Windsport Chateau C
THOR #14643
Back of the fuse panel

I have seen this exact issue and the cause was a loose fitting connection behind the fuse panel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	91E54C45-FB87-40FF-80DA-84A1EAE55E80.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	28293  
Old 02-03-2021, 12:11 AM   #8

THOR #21985
Resolution

It was indeed a bad wire.. the power wire to furnace and fridges. Thank you everyone for your help!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B4478A15-2DD5-4E06-87B9-933EFCFB6243.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	28398  
Old 02-03-2021, 12:14 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRob View Post
It was indeed a bad wire.. the power wire to furnace and fridges. Thank you everyone for your help!!
Good job finding it! The hardest problems to troubleshoot are intermittent problems.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v, frig, furnace, hurricane 29m, refrigerator