Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2022, 06:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Arizona
THOR #15278
Collapsed/bulged water tank

We drained and refilled the water tank and it bulged/collapsed, breaking through the supports inside the bedroom closet where it's located. Thank goodness it didn't crack!
It has been sitting, full, for 2 mos. We are not in Phoenix heat, but it has been 80°- 95° recently. Do they degrade? Anyone ever had that happen?
2016 Thor A.C.E.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
We have the same coach. No problems like that yet. I'll check later today. But we rarely leave the FW tank full.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:49 PM   #3

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
I have an Ace 33.1 and the water tank in the closet on the floor leaked at the drain coming out of the tank. Two days ago they put in a third tank and this one doesn't leak. I wonder if your tank has been leaking for a long time and rotted the floor. If yours was up above it should be easier to fix. I don't know why anyone would put a tank anywhere but the floor or under the Motorhome. On my ACE that would be almost 500 pounds. If you fix it yourself double the strength of what they did. Can you show us some photos. If I must carry water I use it then dump it and leave the drain open. I have a piece of stainless steel wool stuffed up the drain pipe. It keeps things out and the water flows right through. I don't save water, If I'm going to camp two weekends in a row I dump the water and put in fresh. When I leave a state park, I open the drain just before driving off. I hope it's an easy fix for you, They had to take the floor of the shirt closet out to remove my tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220625_144214.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	38314   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220625_144234.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	38315  

Old 06-26-2022, 02:13 AM   #4

THOR #15278
I hope you never do!
Old 06-26-2022, 02:20 AM   #5

THOR #15278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I have an Ace 33.1 and the water tank in the closet on the floor leaked at the drain coming out of the tank. Two days ago they put in a third tank and this one doesn't leak. I wonder if your tank has been leaking for a long time and rotted the floor. If yours was up above it should be easier to fix. I don't know why anyone would put a tank anywhere but the floor or under the Motorhome. On my ACE that would be almost 500 pounds. If you fix it yourself double the strength of what they did. Can you show us some photos. If I must carry water I use it then dump it and leave the drain open. I have a piece of stainless steel wool stuffed up the drain pipe. It keeps things out and the water flows right through. I don't save water, If I'm going to camp two weekends in a row I dump the water and put in fresh. When I leave a state park, I open the drain just before driving off. I hope it's an easy fix for you, They had to take the floor of the shirt closet out to remove my tank
No, no leaks, all dry. Like yours it is in the lower section of the closet. just bulged out in the middle, putting pressure on the closet's center support, also like yours, and the side piece.
At this point he has made a metal cage of sorts to support it. I sure hope it works. I posted the before, and after
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220625_110700822.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	38321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220625_181843599.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	38323  

Old 06-26-2022, 11:25 AM   #6

THOR #20274
That looks like it should work. I hope it all goes back okay. Is he going to replace the broken piece of wood or make a new front? If it's not possible to match it, maybe you could do like on home remodels where the upper cabinets are white and below they put dark gray cabinets. It looks like a good job, I hope you get back on the road soon
Old 06-26-2022, 04:06 PM   #7

THOR #15278
Quote:
That looks like it should work. I hope it all goes back okay. Is he going to replace the broken piece of wood or make a new front? If it's not possible to match it, maybe you could do like on home remodels where the upper cabinets are white and below they put dark gray cabinets. It looks like a good job, I hope you get back on the road soon
Thank you. Good ideas. He is hoping to be able to put the face back on as the doors also match. We shall see soon! We'll be on the road Thursday, may have to do more upon our return.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:38 PM   #8

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMott View Post
Thank you. Good ideas. He is hoping to be able to put the face back on as the doors also match. We shall see soon! We'll be on the road Thursday, may have to do more upon our return.
I went to put the panels on the bottom and I had them labeled left and right. I found that camping world removed the water tank from the bottom front. They lied when they said it was removed from the upper closet floor. They removed the little picture frame of 1/4 inch plywood that holds the panels on, then they pull it through the hole. I put the first panel on an the holes didn't line up. I had modified the plywood in the past and saw they put it upside down. I took the panels and nothing worked. I had to put new holes in the plywood because nothing lined up. The plywood is loose and I'll fix that when we get home
Old 06-26-2022, 07:52 PM   #9

THOR #15278
Quote:
I went to put the panels on the bottom and I had them labeled left and right. I found that camping world removed the water tank from the bottom front. They lied when they said it was removed from the upper closet floor. They removed the little picture frame of 1/4 inch plywood that holds the panels on, then they pull it through the hole. I put the first panel on an the holes didn't line up. I had modified the plywood in the past and saw they put it upside down. I took the panels and nothing worked. I had to put new holes in the plywood because nothing lined up. The plywood is loose and I'll fix that when we get home
Oh goodness! 😳 Thanks but no thanks to good old Camping World! I've heard worse 😬
My husband just finished. 🤞🤞
He put a new "floor" under the tank, attached the double railed "cage" to that. He then cut to fit, and stained 2x4 supports that he put at the center, top, and bottom, behind the original cabinet front. Doors are back on. I'll get matching touch up paint for the spot where it was cracked on the left.
Thank you so much for your suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220626_120424700.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	38336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220626_120623766.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	38337  

Old 06-26-2022, 08:41 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Oh goodness! 😳 Thanks but no thanks to good old Camping World! I've heard worse 😬
My husband just finished. 🤞🤞
He put a new "floor" under the tank, attached the double railed "cage" to that. He then cut to fit, and stained 2x4 supports that he put at the center, top, and bottom, behind the original cabinet front. Doors are back on. I'll get matching touch up paint for the spot where it was cracked on the left.
Thank you so much for your suggestions.
Looks good. No swelling on my tank.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:27 PM   #11

THOR #20274
Looks great you will never see it on the wood. The tank looks good with the support, ready to go camping
Old 06-30-2022, 05:56 AM   #12

THOR #15278
Thank you for all of the advice! Happy travels!
Old 06-30-2022, 05:56 AM   #13

THOR #15278
Thank you for all of the advice! Happy travels
Old 06-30-2022, 05:57 AM   #14

THOR #15278
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Looks good. No swelling on my tank.
I hope yours never swells! Happy travels!
Old 07-02-2022, 06:27 PM   #15

State: British Columbia
THOR #9668
Quote:
We drained and refilled the water tank and it bulged/collapsed, breaking through the supports inside the bedroom closet where it's located. Thank goodness it didn't crack!
It has been sitting, full, for 2 mos. We are not in Phoenix heat, but it has been 80°- 95° recently. Do they degrade? Anyone ever had that happen?
2016 Thor A.C.E.
The tank must be vented. Usually the vent is just above fresh water fill connector (outside). When you fill the water tank then the water should overflow just above the external hose when full. If not then this is the problem. Most likely they forgot to cut hole for this line. I would not be surprised. This line could be also plugged. Start from the tank and find this line on the tank top. Blow into it. If you cannot then find why. It should be easy to blow or suck air through this line.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:57 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
[QUOTE=Bill Johnson;351785 I don't know why anyone would put a tank anywhere but the floor or under the Motorhome [snip}[/QUOTE] The plumbing is way easier if all of it is above the floor. Tanks below the floor need heat in freezing temperature, takes-up basement storage space and have to be hung from the floor.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 01:45 AM   #17

THOR #15278
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannadem View Post
The tank must be vented. Usually the vent is just above fresh water fill connector (outside). When you fill the water tank then the water should overflow just above the external hose when full. If not then this is the problem. Most likely they forgot to cut hole for this line. I would not be surprised. This line could be also plugged. Start from the tank and find this line on the tank top. Blow into it. If you cannot then find why. It should be easy to blow or suck air through this line.
Thank you...it is a clear tube and we wondered but it isn't blocked...but it came loose. We figured it was due to being short and pulled loose...but we'll check it anytime we fill now.
Old 07-10-2022, 01:48 AM   #18

THOR #15278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The plumbing is way easier if all of it is above the floor. Tanks below the floor need heat in freezing temperature, takes-up basement storage space and have to be hung from the floor.
We were sure glad ours was above, in the cabinet, during the colder months. My brother's trailer is below and theirs has frozen before when it was low on water and they got hit with an unexpected late snow.