Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2017, 11:21 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Which comes first?

Front end alignment before or after adding steering stabilizer? Really interested in the justification for your choice and not just an opinion. Can anyone explain why one should be done before the other?

Old 06-05-2017, 11:26 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJanTan View Post
Front end alignment before or after adding steering stabilizer? Really interested in the justification for your choice and not just an opinion. Can anyone explain why one should be done before the other?
I had ours done (Saf-T-Plus) and alignment done at the same time. Saved a few hundred dollars in labor.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:28 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You want the alignment first because it should be aligned when you add all the other stuff in.

All the other stuff is enhancing the suspension. An alignment will bring the front end to Ford specs.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:40 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
You want the alignment first because it should be aligned when you add all the other stuff in.

All the other stuff is enhancing the suspension. An alignment will bring the front end to Ford specs.

I know the front end alignment is recommended by the factory. Should it be covered under warranty, at least for the first time? Anyone have any experience getting front end done under warranty?
Old 06-06-2017, 12:18 AM   #5

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJanTan View Post
I know the front end alignment is recommended by the factory. Should it be covered under warranty, at least for the first time? Anyone have any experience getting front end done under warranty?
Lots of previous discussion on this topic. Beat this to death. My Ford dealer told me that they had no responsibility to pay for it. Thor gave me $250 which didn't cover the cost but was better than nothing.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #6

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
We bought our unit with 3,200 miles on the clock and Thor's warranty gone. I paid less than $100 for the front end alignment and it never occurred to me it could have been covered.

My mechanic at the big truck frame/suspension shop where I went said alignment and proper tire inflation should always be the first step. He also said you should not have to keep getting it aligned every couple years. His suggestion was maybe every 5 years right after replacing tires.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:04 AM   #7

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
We had not even 4000 miles or our '16 Ace 27.1 when we discovered our front tires were showing cords. We took it to a Ford truck center for $175 alignment and $500 x 2 tire replacements. Thor customer service declined to help at all.