Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2020, 02:17 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3772
compartment door issue

I have a 2014 Hurricane. The door to the compartment that opens by dropping down from the outside under the King bed will not close. I dropped a thin wire rod I was trying to stow away and it went into the hinge space and disappeared. Now the door will not close more than halfway. The door is riveted on so no way to remove the door to get the wire out. Does anyone know a solution?

Old 07-28-2020, 06:58 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Magnet extractor? Compressed air?
GVP
Old 07-28-2020, 06:12 PM   #3

THOR #3772
Wire rod is barely thinner than the opening it rolled into and about 1.5' long. Magnet did not work. The only way I can see to get it out is to take out the rivets holding the door onto the frame but then don't know how to re-attach. Maybe small screws? I think this is a question for Thor service.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:08 PM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKnative View Post
Wire rod is barely thinner than the opening it rolled into and about 1.5' long. Magnet did not work. The only way I can see to get it out is to take out the rivets holding the door onto the frame but then don't know how to re-attach. Maybe small screws? I think this is a question for Thor service.

I wonder if using your jacks to change the pitch of the coach slightly/appropriately, would allow this rod to roll back out of the hinge space that it seems to be jamming. If the problem rod has not been bent by forcing the hinge closure it should still be able to roll out for you to pick out with a toothpick or small gauge jeweler screw driver.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #5

THOR #3772
Called Thor customer service. Transferred to ChallengerDoor Co who makes the doors. Gave them the part number (glad I had not removed the sticker!) and described the door, hinge, etc. He directed me to a tiny little square or star screw under the end where there is a white plastic plug. Remove screw, slide out the plug and should be able to slide door off the hinge. Gotta get out my precision screw set and get to work on it. Praying it works!
Old 07-29-2020, 04:49 PM   #6

THOR #3772
Update on door issue. Called Challenger Door Inc again to find out what kind of screw was used to attach compartment door. He thought it was a phillips. NOT! I got out my phone camera With flash. It was a rivet! Drilled it out, slid the plug off the end. Slid the door off the frame and the rod came halfway out with it. Problem sollved. Got my tanks dumped. Got back to parking site, plugged into shore power (110) and no electricity! My 110 works when I turned on my solar power. Breakers are all on at the outside pedestal and in my switch box. I don't know what else to check. I posted this problem in another thread, too, hoping to get issue resolved ASAP so I can run my AC!
Old 07-29-2020, 05:46 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Just because the breakers are set on that pedastal doesn't mean it has electric to it.
What did the park manager say about it?

Try a different pedastal.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:16 PM   #8

THOR #3772
I have tested the pedestal plugs, the electric extension cord. All good.. Don't know how to test the oord that goes to my shore power plug but itis only a few months old. I need to know if there is another fuse or electric box somewhere to check.

Tags
compartment door