Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2019, 07:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5526
Condensation under front windows

My Axis 2016 24.1 is stored at my house. I winterized it and had not gone in it for a month or so. I went in recently to start the engine and generator and run it a while. Everything ran well but when I touched the left front wall under the sliding windows - drivers side- by the cup holder - I noticed it was damp. So was the same area on the passenger side. I did not see any signs of water leakage around windows and there was no water on armrests or cup holders- it was just damp. I checked other areas on the walls in the living area, kitchen, bath room, and bedroom and there was no similar dampness(condensation). It had been cold - 15 oF or so in the mornings for a couple of days but it was about 40oF when I started it. I thought it was strange but I wiped the dampness off with a paper towel and the paper towel was not very wet ie not much water involved.

When I went outside I noticed a rectangular area - 6” x 30” -under the sliding windows that had condensation on it. It was on both the passenger and drivers side about in the same area that I had found dampness on the inside. I assume that’s because there is no insulation in that area. There were no other areas on the outside of the Axis that had condensation.

I was wondering if any Axis owners has found similar condensation on the outside and inside under the sliding windows. My best guess is that happened because there is no insulation there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C2FCE022-F6F4-4E4D-8D00-DE1EAF1A1723.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	15302  

Old 01-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
There is apparently an aluminum beam that is in the area you have circled.

I have not ever had "heavy" condensation, however there have been lots of mornings you can tell where every beam is in the coach by moisture.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:26 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I don’t have an Axis but my coach gets geometric patterns of condensation all the time in winter. It follows construction material lines. My coach is stored outside (sadly) and when it warms up after a cold spell, or even a cold night, the coach is colder than the air and there you go. Even with insulation some parts warm up faster than others
Old 01-25-2019, 03:00 PM   #4

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sli22sli View Post
My Axis 2016 24.1 is stored at my house. I winterized it and had not gone in it for a month or so. I went in recently to start the engine and generator and run it a while. Everything ran well but when I touched the left front wall under the sliding windows - drivers side- by the cup holder - I noticed it was damp. So was the same area on the passenger side. I did not see any signs of water leakage around windows and there was no water on armrests or cup holders- it was just damp. I checked other areas on the walls in the living area, kitchen, bath room, and bedroom and there was no similar dampness(condensation). It had been cold - 15 oF or so in the mornings for a couple of days but it was about 40oF when I started it. I thought it was strange but I wiped the dampness off with a paper towel and the paper towel was not very wet ie not much water involved.

When I went outside I noticed a rectangular area - 6” x 30” -under the sliding windows that had condensation on it. It was on both the passenger and drivers side about in the same area that I had found dampness on the inside. I assume that’s because there is no insulation in that area. There were no other areas on the outside of the Axis that had condensation.

I was wondering if any Axis owners has found similar condensation on the outside and inside under the sliding windows. My best guess is that happened because there is no insulation there.
Exactly the same area where I had high moisture content. Check the different threads on this and you will see the pictures I posted where I paid to have both windows removed to figure this out. The culprit was where the side of the front cap meets the side wall. Poorly caulked screws and the point where these two meet under the top rear portion of the windows allow moisture intrusion. The water was apparently channeling down the aluminum and ending up in the rectangular portion you are identifying.

To further investigate your suspicions, find a business that repairs water damage in homes. They should have an infrared type moisture device. Once you get one, point it at the inside walls underneath the windows. When we did this, it showed "blue" or high moisture in the same rectangular locations. I even purchased a moisture "probe" for around $25 that you stick into the wall and the results aligned with the infrared device.

Hopefully, you can caulk in the locations I pointed out instead of paying $1400-$1500 to removed and replace the windows. By the way, the wood directly under the windows was not moist or damaged by water once the windows were removed. Water intrusion is a real pain and identifying it can be quite vexing. Good luck. Glad you have this forum for reference. I dealt with the problem the hard way.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5526
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Exactly the same area where I had high moisture content. Check the different threads on this and you will see the pictures I posted where I paid to have both windows removed to figure this out. The culprit was where the side of the front cap meets the side wall. Poorly caulked screws and the point where these two meet under the top rear portion of the windows allow moisture intrusion. The water was apparently channeling down the aluminum and ending up in the rectangular portion you are identifying.

To further investigate your suspicions, find a business that repairs water damage in homes. They should have an infrared type moisture device. Once you get one, point it at the inside walls underneath the windows. When we did this, it showed "blue" or high moisture in the same rectangular locations. I even purchased a moisture "probe" for around $25 that you stick into the wall and the results aligned with the infrared device.

Hopefully, you can caulk in the locations I pointed out instead of paying $1400-$1500 to removed and replace the windows. By the way, the wood directly under the windows was not moist or damaged by water once the windows were removed. Water intrusion is a real pain and identifying it can be quite vexing. Good luck. Glad you have this forum for reference. I dealt with the problem the hard way.
Axis Earl, did you just calk those 2 seams? Did that stop the problem?

Sli22sli
Old 01-25-2019, 07:20 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #13661
Quote:

I'm still wondering where the water goes that hits the front driver/passenger windows, at (inside) the rubber flap area. There are no weep holes underneath.

Anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190120_090520.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	15318   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190120_090640.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	15319  

Old 01-25-2019, 11:01 PM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Moisture

If you remove the strip of molding that covers those four or five screws connecting the front cap to the side wall you will see better what is going on. I paid to have someone remove the windows, remove that little strip of molding and put it all back together with new rubber gaskets on the windows. Answering your other question, yes their are weep holes at the bottom of those windows in the sliding window area. If there absolutely are not, you should start asking some more questions of a RV window expert. So, yes, the seam was caulked and where the end of the seam meets the opening for the windows was also caulked. Yes, I have seen some posts where the windows themselves were not sealed properly but ours did not have a problem with window seals. Your moisture area is exactly where ours was. Invest in a pronged moisture meter and do your investigating. You will soon see what I have been talking about.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #8

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #13661
Quote:
If you remove the strip of molding that covers those four or five screws connecting the front cap to the side wall you will see better what is going on. I paid to have someone remove the windows, remove that little strip of molding and put it all back together with new rubber gaskets on the windows. Answering your other question, yes their are weep holes at the bottom of those windows in the sliding window area. If there absolutely are not, you should start asking some more questions of a RV window expert. So, yes, the seam was caulked and where the end of the seam meets the opening for the windows was also caulked. Yes, I have seen some posts where the windows themselves were not sealed properly but ours did not have a problem with window seals. Your moisture area is exactly where ours was. Invest in a pronged moisture meter and do your investigating. You will soon see what I have been talking about.

Will have them check it when/if I receive a confirmation service appointment. I may use electrical tape to seal the windows for now. It's bad enough my chassis AC doesn't work. What a piece of $hit.

Tags
condensation, insulation