Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2022, 12:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 28h
State: Colorado
THOR #16027
Atwood water heater issue

Hello all, I am having a problem putting a drain plug into my water heater. The old plug broke and I had to take it out in pieces and now a new one won't thread properly. Am I going to have to have the threads machined again or heaven forbid replace the entire tank?

Thanks

Old 10-18-2022, 12:12 AM   #2

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Can you take a battery terminal wire brush and clean out the threads? Flush all the gunk out. Put a little Vaseline on the new plug? But I thought Atwood used an anode rod instead of just a plug.
Old 10-18-2022, 12:12 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
How did the old one break? Was it a metal plug or plastic. It is supposed to be plastic. If a metal one was installed it may have badly corroded the threads.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 01:34 AM   #4

THOR #16027
The old plug was a plastic one, the top broke and was leaking. I used a cloth to clean it out and it actually looks good. I picked up new camco plugs today that look like the old ones but no go. Perhaps one of the threads is messed up even a little? I can't get it started.
Old 10-18-2022, 01:55 AM   #5
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Can you take a battery terminal wire brush and clean out the threads? Flush all the gunk out. Put a little Vaseline on the new plug? But I thought Atwood used an anode rod instead of just a plug.
Nope, Suburbans use the anode rod, Atwoods use the plastic plug.
Old 10-18-2022, 10:01 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
I believe the drain has a 1/2” NPT thread. The “t” stands for “tapered”. The threaded portion of the new plug should be slightly tapered to make it easier to start and a more effective seal when tight. This taper is slight, but easily visible. If the plug is tapered but still won’t start, the internal tank threads may be damaged. Buy, rent, or borrow a pipe thread tap, or a pipe thread chaser and run it into the hole to repair the threads. Be careful when doing this. The tank threads are aluminum and soft, if you run the tap in too far you will make the hole oversized and the plug may no longer fit tightly.
Old 11-01-2022, 03:11 AM   #7

THOR #16027
Ok, I took your advice and used a tapered thread chaser and it seems to have resolved the problem. I have already winterized, so I won't know if anything leaks until next year but a new plug is going in well now. Thanks for the suggestion!!
Old 11-01-2022, 04:57 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If you do get a slight leak, a few wraps of Teflon plumbing tape around the plug threads will likely seal it.
Old 11-02-2022, 01:18 AM   #9

THOR #16027
So, I have been thinking about using a different plug than the vinyl ones I have been using. Bottom line, I have replaced two broken vinyl plugs in the last two years. Each time, it takes me a couple of hours to remove a broken vinyl plug and hopefully not cause damage to the drain threads. That didn't work out well this last time.

Has anybody successfully used a brass plug instead? I found. Camco one that looks promising but I have heard that brass ones can cause problems with the drain opening as well? Thoughts?
Old 11-02-2022, 04:04 AM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compnerd View Post
So, I have been thinking about using a different plug than the vinyl ones I have been using. Bottom line, I have replaced two broken vinyl plugs in the last two years. Each time, it takes me a couple of hours to remove a broken vinyl plug and hopefully not cause damage to the drain threads. That didn't work out well this last time.

Has anybody successfully used a brass plug instead? I found. Camco one that looks promising but I have heard that brass ones can cause problems with the drain opening as well? Thoughts?
A plastic plug is used to prevent galvanic corrosion.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:00 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
Perhaps you are over tightening your plastic plug. Or not using the proper tool. I recommend using a 6 point socket to tighten and loosen the plug. I think it is 15/16”. I don’t know about a recommended torque to tighten but I just “snug” it firmly and it doesn’t leak. No Teflon tape or other sealer. I am still using my original plastic plug, it has been removed and installed at least 8 times with no leak.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:46 AM   #12

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I’m same as Vibeman. Never had that problem. I’ve used the same plastic plug for 3 years. In and out 3 to 4 times a year. Just snug it.