Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #16562
Atwood Furnace Issue

Hey Awesome Forum Members,

I have a Thor Freedom Elite 26 HE with an Atwood Furnace AFMD 30141 model.

Recently it has not been working on a consistent basis. On occasion, it will turn on the blower, the blower will run, there is no ignition sound or attempt to ignite, and then it will shut off, and stay off. The blower will run for a couple of minutes when it makes the attempt when prompted by the thermostat.

All other propane items in the motorhome are working well...water heater and stove.

I go outside, take off the panel, move some wires around, and switch the reset switch off and on a random number of times, and it will eventually light.

Started about 2 weeks ago. The time between when it is working and when I have to go and mess with the switch has become increasingly brief. This morning it ran once, I did my magic (?), and it didn't run again.

I'm pretty sure I have my model number correct. My Atwood book says:

Literature Number 31973
hydro flame
Furnace Models
Series AFS
Series AFM
Series AFL

Like I said, I think mine is a Model # 30141. Though it is under the two year window for warranty, nobody will work on it within the next month. I'm going to attempt this myself. Any help in regards to part #'s and stuff would be awesome.

I've come up with changing the control board and the sail switch (whatever that is, but many say I should do this when I do the control board.)

The part that I keep coming to on Amazon is an Atwood 31505 circuit board and the sail switch is Atwood 36680.

Help,

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	furnace pic.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	21803  

Old 12-12-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Forget the Atwood circuit board; replace it with a Dinosaur circuit board.

After 2 years of dealing with my intermittent furnace issue due to the circuit board getting wet (another Thor ingenious design - point the louvers into the furnace to funnel any rain into the electronics - mine gave out over thanksgiving. Bought the Dinosaur board and we're back in business.

Wire by wire replacement:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:53 PM   #3

Model: Challenger LX
State: Colorado
THOR #3922
You might consider these mods: first, modify your circuit access box so the circuit board is raised. Second, run house-type door weather stripping around the inside of the access door. As stated above, it's a poor design, and rain gets into that compartment pretty easily.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #4

THOR #16562
Thanks

I've been thinking about that, but your link wont work. Could you shoot me a part number or another attempt at a link?

Thanks,
Brian

QUOTE=16ACE27;215537]Forget the Atwood circuit board; replace it with a Dinosaur circuit board.

After 2 years of dealing with my intermittent furnace issue due to the circuit board getting wet (another Thor ingenious design - point the louvers into the furnace to funnel any rain into the electronics - mine gave out over thanksgiving. Bought the Dinosaur board and we're back in business.

Wire by wire replacement:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/QUOTE]
Old 12-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #5

THOR #16562
I got the link to work. Thanks a ton. That us how I've been leaning as well. The weather stripping and stuff will be a good idea as well.

Brian
Old 12-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #6

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
After 2 years of dealing with my intermittent furnace issue due to the circuit board getting wet (another Thor ingenious design - point the louvers into the furnace to funnel any rain into the electronics [/url]
The door design was the furnace manufacturer. My door originally had the backward louvers -- the door, door frame , exhaust tube and new door gasket were in a kit from Atwood that my dealer installed. Thor supplied the replacement decal for the door.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:47 AM   #7

THOR #16562
Smile Thanks

I'm leaning toward a moisture issue. The more you guys talked, the more I realized that my problems seemed to coincide with heavy rainfall and/or damp conditions. I took the board out to when I considered buying the Dinosaur replacement. I hit it with the blow dryer and checked all the connection, and held it up for the RV gods to bless and reinstalled it. It's been working like a champ since. It has been raining, but I'm keeping my awning in position. If I continue to have intermittent problems, I'll replace the control board with the dinosaur one.

Thanks for all the responses.

Brian
Old 12-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #8

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
For those with the "water come in here" louvers

Rather than deal with a naked replacement panel which would need to be painted and have decals installed, I followed advice on another thread a few years back to install a stainless steel louver (~$8) over the existing one in the panel to keep water out (still lets air in). Atwood provides a circuit board raising kit (retrofit kit) free, but would not ship directly to me only to my Atwood repair facility. See if your backed up repair shop will order for you and just let you install it. Since I did the louver overlay I've had no more problems. I had weatherstripping on the inside of my panel, so it was the louvers which were the problem.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #9

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
The weird behavior of an Atwood furnace isn’t uncommon and the cause is water getting under the circuit board.

Here’s how I solved the problem

Thor Forums - View Single Post - Rainwater leaking in furnace
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:39 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
Rather than deal with a naked replacement panel which would need to be painted and have decals installed, I followed advice on another thread a few years back to install a stainless steel louver (~$8) over the existing one in the panel to keep water out (still lets air in). Atwood provides a circuit board raising kit (retrofit kit) free, but would not ship directly to me only to my Atwood repair facility. See if your backed up repair shop will order for you and just let you install it. Since I did the louver overlay I've had no more problems. I had weatherstripping on the inside of my panel, so it was the louvers which were the problem.
Gotta link for that stainless steel vent? I just used a piece of a steel vent from Lowes and painted it. 2 years later and it's starting to rust.

EDIT:

I found one on Amazon and it should be a perfect fit; plus 5% off!

https://www.amazon.com/Prairie-Metal...&rps=1&sr=8-14
Old 12-16-2019, 06:10 PM   #11

THOR #16562
I'm sort of new at this and am not sure what you mean when you said you out a Louvre on. This is what my furnace vent currently looks like. Are you saying add a piece or replace something existing? I truly appreciate all of you for helping. The link should be to my pic.

https://s.amsu.ng/Oz1tq9ctSKtN

Thanks,
BRAIN
Old 12-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #12

THOR #16562
I'm sort of new at this and am not sure what you mean when you said you out a Louvre on. This is what my furnace vent currently looks like. Are you saying add a piece or replace something existing? I truly appreciate all of you for helping. The link should be to my pic.

Thanks,
BRAIN
Old 12-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkterbush View Post

Thanks,
BRAIN
That's the furnace exhaust. Your cover does not have a vent.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:45 PM   #14

State: Virginia
THOR #3395
Check the Sail Switch. Go to you tube and search for sail switch replacement. I didn't have to replace just cleaned the lent off of it. Takes 5min
Old 12-21-2019, 11:50 PM   #15

THOR #10430
Thor had a recall on the furnace door, the louver door was built upside down. Every time it would rain the furnace would start running but not lite. Door was replaced 3 years ago and have had no problems since.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:31 PM   #16

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
I'm having the same issue but mine will run fan, ignite for about 3 secs and off....fan still running...it does this 3 times and shuts down completely. I have been told by some very helpful folks that it needs a Dinosor Fan 50 board. Another gent said he tried that and failed. There is no return on the board if it doesn't work so I'm thinking. The link on this thread doesen't work for me. I'd like to see just how tough it will be changing out the board myself. I'd like to see that link.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #17

State: Virginia
THOR #3395
My understanding of how the sail switch works is that the fan needs to be at a specific RPM before the sail switch opens the gas valve. The system will make 3 attempts to start then shut down. If the battery is low and not creating enough fan rpm then the sail switch will not open the gas valve. If the ignitor is lighting the burner then I would assume that the sail switch is working. You tube is your friend!
Old 12-22-2019, 02:53 PM   #18

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
I'm having the same issue but mine will run fan, ignite for about 3 secs and off....fan still running...it does this 3 times and shuts down completely. I have been told by some very helpful folks that it needs a Dinosor Fan 50 board. Another gent said he tried that and failed. There is no return on the board if it doesn't work so I'm thinking. The link on this thread doesen't work for me. I'd like to see just how tough it will be changing out the board myself. I'd like to see that link.
My furnace had about the same problem IIRC several years ago. I tried new board, cleaned sail ignitor etc. and finally called a local repair guy that came out and found wood chips in the blower which fixed the problem. I have vacuumed wood chips from behind every panel and drawer, but never looked in the furnace blower. Thor went the extra mile on this one. The repair guy said it was a first for him.
Good luck with your problem.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #19

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
My furnace had about the same problem IIRC several years ago. I tried new board, cleaned sail ignitor etc. and finally called a local repair guy that came out and found wood chips in the blower which fixed the problem. I have vacuumed wood chips from behind every panel and drawer, but never looked in the furnace blower. Thor went the extra mile on this one. The repair guy said it was a first for him.
Good luck with your problem.
I know that wheel has to be cleared to spin or whatever it does. WOod chips....who would have thought. Guy told me I can eliminate the sail switch since it does ignite for a few seconds. It wouldn't at all if the switch was bad. I use th efurnace so seldom here in FL but still would like to have it working.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #20

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
I had the same issue on our ws31. Have you tried drying yours out? I dried ours and it worked fine again. After returning home I ran silicone to seal the cover. It has been running great since then.

Tags
atwood, furnace, ignition issue