Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2016, 02:04 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
Continental Tires treat seperating

I have Continental tires on my coach. I just found the outside rear where the tread is seperating from the tire. Took it in to Ford, and they found two that way. Now I have a 2015 and what they found on the wheels were 2013 tires, now out of warrenty. The point is, that coach should have come with 2015 DOT tires according to Ford. Cost me $821.00 because of that. Not sure whom to start with, the dealer, or Thor. Anyone else ever come up against this?

225 / 70 R 19.5

Old 02-23-2016, 01:32 PM   #2

Brand: Entegra
Model: 34B
State: New Jersey
THOR #3523
is the chassis a 15 or a 14 if its a 14 having 2013 tires is quite common but either way the date code did not cause tread problem Did you contact Conti because they are the one who warrants tires Not Ford or Thor
Continental
Old 02-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Call Continental (800) 847-3349 or email them at consumerinfo@conti-na.com

You may also want to call Ford warranty support. If the tires came on the chassis and the chassis is still under warranty the tires should be covered. For the F53 the tire warranty is on page 10 of the warranty guide.

Tires should be good for a minimum of 5 years from the DOT date stamp and it is recommended that they be replaced by the 6 year mark. Your tire warranty, like any others, starts the day you take delivery of the coach and not the day the tires are manufactured.

I had Continentals on a Ford Expedition a few years back and they lasted 70,000 miles. Even though they still passed state inspections I replaced them due to hydroplaning beginning at about 69K.

If the Ford dealer is telling you the tires are out of warranty find another Ford service center and report that one to Ford. My F53 warranty covers replacement tires under the 3/36 warranty for 100 percent reimbursement or replacement for the first 12K miles.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #4

THOR #3195
Hi Dave, just got back from Washington, went for a 10 day ride . Yes, I did contact Continental, they too said due to the date of the tires, they are out of warranty, regardless what or how new the motorhome is. They supply the tire, it's up to the manufacture and/or dealer on what they do with it. I'm going up a difficult trail to get anything out of this. But I'll try.

And to the other poster, yes, it is a 2015 chassis.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
Hi Dave, just got back from Washington, went for a 10 day ride . Yes, I did contact Continental, they too said due to the date of the tires, they are out of warranty, regardless what or how new the motorhome is. They supply the tire, it's up to the manufacture and/or dealer on what they do with it. I'm going up a difficult trail to get anything out of this. But I'll try.

And to the other poster, yes, it is a 2015 chassis.
Another approach to this might be calling Ford and asking why they are installing expired tires on their chassis. You may also inform them that you are considering filing a complaint with the NHTSB and requesting Ford initiate a recall to verify the tires on all chassis are not expired. It is after all Ford who sold the chassis with the expired tires.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:33 PM   #6

THOR #3195
Dave, now that is an excellent ideal. I'll get right on that! Thanks
Old 03-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
It is possible that the dealer changed them out on another unit, (Left over) and the buyer of that unit insisted on up to date tire. Seems unlikely to me that Ford would not have had that old of a tire laying around
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:41 PM   #8

THOR #3195
Frank, I tend to agree with you, I'm still waiting for the dealer (of the motorhome) to step up and say what they are willing to do, I find this out on Monday. If they decide to do nothing, then I go to Ford, if nothing there, I'll try out the Good Sam Club and their help line to see what they are willing to do. The more coverage the better.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:26 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
....cut.... Your tire warranty, like any others, starts the day you take delivery of the coach and not the day the tires are manufactured.

....cut......
Exactly. And not only that, but tire failures are not caused by tires being two years older. I can't follow why that's being made an issue.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:05 AM   #10

THOR #3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Exactly. And not only that, but tire failures are not caused by tires being two years older. I can't follow why that's being made an issue.
That is what I told FORD when they told me it goes by the code on the tire. All three are playing the game, the motorhome dealer, Ford Dealer, and Continental. I think they will play until they expect me to give up. But I have other plans in store. I already know it's going to take me some time to get any of my cost back, but it is not all about cost. I'm sure this is happening to others besides just me. I was hoping to hear from some that it has already happened too. Perhaps I will after this goes forward. Tomorrow I decided to talk to the Motorhome dealer instead of waiting until Monday. I'm starting the ball rolling no more waiting.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:44 AM   #11
Site Team

THOR #121
There was a tire recall by Continnetal, tire size 225/45R18 95H XL DOT TIN Range A34F WBJR 2514 THRU a34f wbjr 3014
The wonder Schnauzers
Old 03-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #12
Site Team

THOR #121
Thinking it over what brand of tires are on the other Four winds units???????????
The wonder Schnauzers
Old 03-03-2016, 04:54 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I found the following general statement. This is not on a manufacturers site.

Workmanship and Materials Warranty
The workmanship and materials warranty protects the consumer from any defects in the manufacturing or materials used in the tire. Most manufacturers offer this coverage for the life of the tire.

"Workmanship and materials means that we stand behind the product, should you run into some issue," says Margadonna. Some of the problems that would be covered include severe cracking in the sidewall or the loss of a block of tread. "If there was something wrong with the tire that we were at fault for, as a manufacturer, we stand behind our product," says Margadonna.

If a workmanship or manufacturing failure comes up within the first 2/32nds of an inch of tread, most manufacturers will replace the tire free of charge. Anything after that will usually be prorated.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:31 AM   #14

THOR #3195
Newest info is the Motorhome dealer turned it over to Thor, an answer to come on Monday. The dealer also stated they couldn't believe (I supplied all pertinent information) Ford charged me. It's now in Thor's hands, at least until Monday.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:01 PM   #15

THOR #3195
Well, today I spend the better side of two hours on the phone. Sense my last post, after it was turned over to Thor, they (Thor) sent me an email and said sorry, you have to go to Ford. They did give me a Ford number for Ford Customer Service - Motorhome division, I called after I went through the whole story, she sent me to another division as it is out of her control so I was given a number to call that is Ford Customer Relations, gave them my story, and she passed me on to Ford CRC (I don't know who that is) but again, I gave my story, and he said oh, you need to talk to Ford Motorhome Assistance so he passed me on to them. Again, my story, but this person wrote it all down in the computer and then said, sorry but you need to go to your selling dealer and talk to the District Service Manager. OK, so I have now gone full circle :face palm:. But, I did find out who the big service guy was at the dealer, and sent him the full story again (they already have it) with the updates. So now I wait. Oh Dave, I did call Continental Tire, they referred me to Ford and I filed with NHTSB, hope I got that right, anyway the highway safety division :banged:

My brother is an attorney, not the right kind I need, but he advised me it will cost more for the attorney than what the tires cost. Ahhhh, but I'm also a LifeTime Member of the GoodSam Club, so I sent the story to their Action Line. Now I wait

Life goes on anyway
Old 03-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #16

THOR #3195
I just received a call from the Ford Dealer, they apologized for the mistake of not covering the tires under warranty and said I would be getting my reimbursement check within two to three weeks. There is good out there and it just happened to me. It took a bit of persistence but, in the end, we all will come out good.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:28 AM   #17

THOR #3195
I have further information, it was Thor Motor Coach, that stepped up to the plate and they called Ford on my behalf. Thank you Thor.