Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-16-2021, 09:33 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: California
Posts: 4
THOR #24870
Converter/ATS problem Thor Hurricane

I have a problem with my 2008 Four Winds Hurricane 31H. I have noticed that when my bedroom slide is in, plugging into shore power trips the SP breaker and it cannot be reset without unplugging the coach. I discovered that if the slide is out, then it allows the shore power connection without tripping the breaker. The main panel is under the bed, which moves with the slide so I have wondered if there might be a loose connection that makes better contact when the slide is out. Recently, my house batteries are dying after a day or so of camping while connected to shore power so my batteries are not charging while plugged in. I have no idea where the converter is, but it is likely below the bed. Anyone happen to have a wiring diagram or schematics for this coach? Thor says due to the age, they no longer have them.

Open to any suggestions.

__________________
Camper Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
OldWEB's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: FW Hurricane
State: England
Posts: 708
THOR #16471
First off, Welcome to the forum!!



Now to copy and paste...
The SP breaker is tripping for the simple reason you have an overload condition with the slide in, most likely caused by the cable being pinched. A loose connection cannot draw more current, only less... unless it is so loose it is touching something it is not suppose to, then that is a short. It needs to be checked pronto! Not later... then we can address the other problem

Good luck!
__________________
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:45 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
State: Arkansas
Posts: 129
THOR #19565
Totally sounds like a short. Also, are you sure the electronics move? Usually its just the bed rail. But I agree that it sounds like a cable might be getting pinched. I went on a tie wrap rampage under my bed because it surprising about the lack of quality control at the Thor factory! Ive even picked up loose screws inside all the electronics under bed.
__________________
bojanlora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 3,057
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Rob View Post
I have a problem with my 2008 Four Winds Hurricane 31H. I have noticed that when my bedroom slide is in, plugging into shore power trips the SP breaker and it cannot be reset without unplugging the coach. I discovered that if the slide is out, then it allows the shore power connection without tripping the breaker. The main panel is under the bed, which moves with the slide so I have wondered if there might be a loose connection that makes better contact when the slide is out. Recently, my house batteries are dying after a day or so of camping while connected to shore power so my batteries are not charging while plugged in. I have no idea where the converter is, but it is likely below the bed. Anyone happen to have a wiring diagram or schematics for this coach? Thor says due to the age, they no longer have them.

Open to any suggestions.
I suspect your bed base containing the electrics does not move; only the mattress base moves. That is the way my bedroom slide works.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: California
Posts: 4
THOR #24870
The breaker panel is mounted in the bed frame, which moves with the slide. I will open it up to see what is happening with the wiring. I suspect I may need a new converter anyway, but if there is a short caused by the slide closing, I will need to fix it also.
__________________
Camper Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:24 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: California
Posts: 4
THOR #24870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Rob View Post
The breaker panel is mounted in the bed frame, which moves with the slide. I will open it up to see what is happening with the wiring. I suspect I may need a new converter anyway, but if there is a short caused by the slide closing, I will need to fix it also.
I was wrong about the panel moving. I didn't realize the frame did not move. I found one if the cables from the converter to the 12 volt panel was loose. The terminal is not one that I have seen and I'm not sure how to tighten it.

I found that the converter did not output the correct amount of voltage so it needs to be replaced, but I'm not sure how to tighten the cable terminal on the 12 volt panel.
__________________
Camper Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:17 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 3,057
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Rob View Post
I was wrong about the panel moving. I didn't realize the frame did not move. I found one if the cables from the converter to the 12 volt panel was loose. The terminal is not one that I have seen and I'm not sure how to tighten it.

I found that the converter did not output the correct amount of voltage so it needs to be replaced, but I'm not sure how to tighten the cable terminal on the 12 volt panel.
Here is what is in my coach. The power center is a PPS 5375. The black and white wires are the 120 volt input. The blue output from the converter and the red #6 AWG cable goes to the house batteries. The lugs on the top of the fuse panel are 1/4" hex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020_0614_094923AA.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	33855  
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ats, converter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2