Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2021, 09:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: California
THOR #24870
Converter/ATS problem Thor Hurricane

I have a problem with my 2008 Four Winds Hurricane 31H. I have noticed that when my bedroom slide is in, plugging into shore power trips the SP breaker and it cannot be reset without unplugging the coach. I discovered that if the slide is out, then it allows the shore power connection without tripping the breaker. The main panel is under the bed, which moves with the slide so I have wondered if there might be a loose connection that makes better contact when the slide is out. Recently, my house batteries are dying after a day or so of camping while connected to shore power so my batteries are not charging while plugged in. I have no idea where the converter is, but it is likely below the bed. Anyone happen to have a wiring diagram or schematics for this coach? Thor says due to the age, they no longer have them.

Open to any suggestions.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:02 PM   #2

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
First off, Welcome to the forum!!

Now to copy and paste...
The SP breaker is tripping for the simple reason you have an overload condition with the slide in, most likely caused by the cable being pinched. A loose connection cannot draw more current, only less... unless it is so loose it is touching something it is not suppose to, then that is a short. It needs to be checked pronto! Not later... then we can address the other problem

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2021, 10:45 PM   #3

State: Arkansas
THOR #19565
Totally sounds like a short. Also, are you sure the electronics move? Usually it’s just the bed rail. But I agree that it sounds like a cable might be getting pinched. I went on a tie wrap rampage under my bed because it surprising about the lack of quality control at the Thor factory! I’ve even picked up loose screws inside all the electronics under bed.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:52 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Rob View Post
I have a problem with my 2008 Four Winds Hurricane 31H. I have noticed that when my bedroom slide is in, plugging into shore power trips the SP breaker and it cannot be reset without unplugging the coach. I discovered that if the slide is out, then it allows the shore power connection without tripping the breaker. The main panel is under the bed, which moves with the slide so I have wondered if there might be a loose connection that makes better contact when the slide is out. Recently, my house batteries are dying after a day or so of camping while connected to shore power so my batteries are not charging while plugged in. I have no idea where the converter is, but it is likely below the bed. Anyone happen to have a wiring diagram or schematics for this coach? Thor says due to the age, they no longer have them.

Open to any suggestions.
I suspect your bed base containing the electrics does not move; only the mattress base moves. That is the way my bedroom slide works.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #5

THOR #24870
The breaker panel is mounted in the bed frame, which moves with the slide. I will open it up to see what is happening with the wiring. I suspect I may need a new converter anyway, but if there is a short caused by the slide closing, I will need to fix it also.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:24 PM   #6

THOR #24870
Quote:
The breaker panel is mounted in the bed frame, which moves with the slide. I will open it up to see what is happening with the wiring. I suspect I may need a new converter anyway, but if there is a short caused by the slide closing, I will need to fix it also.
I was wrong about the panel moving. I didn't realize the frame did not move. I found one if the cables from the converter to the 12 volt panel was loose. The terminal is not one that I have seen and I'm not sure how to tighten it.

I found that the converter did not output the correct amount of voltage so it needs to be replaced, but I'm not sure how to tighten the cable terminal on the 12 volt panel.¹
Old 09-25-2021, 03:17 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
I was wrong about the panel moving. I didn't realize the frame did not move. I found one if the cables from the converter to the 12 volt panel was loose. The terminal is not one that I have seen and I'm not sure how to tighten it.

I found that the converter did not output the correct amount of voltage so it needs to be replaced, but I'm not sure how to tighten the cable terminal on the 12 volt panel.¹
Here is what is in my coach. The power center is a PPS 5375. The black and white wires are the 120 volt input. The blue output from the converter and the red #6 AWG cable goes to the house batteries. The lugs on the top of the fuse panel are 1/4" hex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020_0614_094923AA.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	33855  
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ats, converter