Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2020, 04:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #16024
Lightbulb Couch Install Pointers

Purchased a 72" jackknife couch to replace recliners in our Thor Hurricane 35c.
What can anyone offer in the way of DIY advice on getting the old out and installing the new?

Old 08-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Getting out the recliners should be pretty straightforward.
Find a flashlight, and open up one of them...
Now it's time to test out your knees...
Get down to where you can peek around under iit. You should see some mounting bolts in the floor.
The second one should be about the same.
Sorry: I can't say much about the jackknife installation.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:00 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.2
State: California
THOR #18202
I installed a RecPro 72" Jackknife in an Axis 24.2

I recently installed a jackknife sofa that I purchased from RecPro in our Axis 24.2 which does not have a dedicated bed. I also purchased RecPro’s optional legs.

I installed the jackknife on a slide. This adds a few inches to the height of the couch and I had a machine shop cut the optional legs down and reweld the attach points. In calculating how much to shorten the legs, I had to make sure that it was enough clearance for the front panel to to keep it from rubbing on the floor. To be clear, I installed the front panel immediately in front of, rather than on top of, the slide.

Also, the design of the jackknife is such that you are limited as to where you can attach it. In my case, the attachment is at each end of the sofa which put one side directly over one of the aluminum panels on the bottom of the slide. This required some creative “engineering” to make a bracket that reaches past the aluminum panel.

The couch sits closer to the aisle which opened up some additional storage between it and the side wall. There is also room for storage under the couch which is nice to have but not particularly easy to get to.

Our jackknife replaces a sofa that folded out and, using an air mattress, created a full size (more or less) bed. I hated dealing with it and would just sleep on the sofa while my wife slept on the bunk that descends from above the front seats. The jackknife opens to a twin bed size (more or less) and can actually stay configured as a bed when the slide is in and we are moving to a new location.

A couple of hints. For comfort, I purchased a foam piece, designed for filling the gap between twin beds when they are used to make a king size bed. I put it in the gap between the sofa seat and sofa back when in the bed mode. I also purchased a nice fitted twin size pad to even things out further.
All in all, I am pleased with the installation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide with couch removed.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	25763

Name:	Jackknife as couch.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	25764

Name:	Jackknife as bed.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	25765
Old 08-24-2020, 08:14 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksucat66 View Post
Purchased a 72" jackknife couch to replace recliners in our Thor Hurricane 35c.
What can anyone offer in the way of DIY advice on getting the old out and installing the new?
When I converted from the fold-out sofa to wall hugger love seat recliners, I took the coach to the local RV repair place (Wagner RV). It took the guys one hour and cost $100.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furniture swap out, installation, removal