Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2021, 12:12 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djrmar6 View Post
Thank you for your response but Safelite came out and looked at and told our insurance they donít work on motor homes. But Iíll try again by calling the number you gave. Ours was a branch fell on windshield during a storm last spring. But this winter it grew. Monnie

Safelight fixed my Vegas window. It was only a crack though.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:03 AM   #22

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Safelite will repair a rock chip and or small crack. I've had them do two repairs on my motorhome windshield. They told me while doing a repair that they could not/would not replace the motorhome windshield.
Maybe Safelite is different in some areas?
Old 03-11-2021, 01:01 PM   #23

State: New York
THOR #12610
Ask your insurance company for a recommendation My safelight shop couldn't do it, they found me a shop near me. Had to leave overnight as window so heavy they had to support it while adhesive cured. Camping world wanted me to leave it and they would call when it w
as done.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:14 PM   #24

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #11146
I could serve them a Superior Court lawsuit, they decided to replace it for free.

In July 2020, I replaced a windshield from customglasssolutions.com at my own expense: $1500 glass + $144 rubber molding + $1500? Or so from Perry autoglass in San Bernardino. It cracked again while parked 6 months later when the first freeze happened. I called both installer & mfg & they both said there was no warranty. When I asked them for their contact info so that I could serve them a Superior Court lawsuit, they decided to replace it for free.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:39 PM   #25

Model: Tuscany 40LX
State: Iowa
THOR #1804
In Nov 2017, I was cruising down the Interstate at 65 mph when I took a hawk in the windshield of my 2012 Thor Tuscany. Though he did not penetrate the windshield, he destroyed it! A week later when I returned from my trip, I contacted Safelite here in the Omaha, Nebraska area. They had to special order this one-piece windshield. When it came in (seems like it took a week or two), I drove to the Safelite facility and they installed it in just an hour or so. Total was $2,936. After my $1,000 deductible, the insurance company covered the rest.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:51 PM   #26

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Iím in the wrong business
Should be selling $5k windshields
Old 03-14-2021, 01:13 AM   #27

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
They aren't cheap. The deductible on mine is $500.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:34 PM   #28

Model: Axis 25.6
State: Massachusetts
THOR #20807
Angry Windshield replacement

Found all your comments very interesting. Late January we set out to get an inspection sticker (MA) on our 2019 Axis 25.6 MH and found our windshield cracked right over the driver side going almost to the other side. Went on line to put in claim to Ins. They set up appointment with Safelite. They asked for the Vin # and I kept saying this is a MH. Safelite set up appointment to change in our yard. The day before I text and again said are you sure you have the correct windshield since it is a MH. Yes we have the Vin #. Well of course the guy showed up and said oh we donít do MH replacement.
Back to Ins co who said sorry you need to talk with our MH windshield replacement provider. Really why wasnít I already talking to them! They found a company in our area that said we will not do replacement until April due to cold weather. I said not acceptable. I found them another company that had their logo on their website. Ins Co got back said they had a billing issue with that co so they could not do it but found another company in our area. Now we are a month waiting and they say they are shipping the new windshield and once it gets there the co will set up an appointment for installation. March 3 Ins Co says the new windshield has a scuff on it would we accept it and they will take off $100 from the deductible of $350. NO I donít want a scuff. OK they will ship a new windshield. New windshield arrives and being installed March 24! We receive a call from the very nice glass company saying the windshield doesnít FIT! Ins Co are telling us it is the correct windshield but the curvature of the mold the glass is placed might be distorted. Ins Co are now sending another one from Guardian (the original manufacturer) to be installed.
Has anyone else ever had any issues with it fitting? We purchased our MH brand new Jan 2020 and only used in FL winter of 2020.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:51 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
I hate to tell you what they actually cost...
(Hint: not even close to 5K. )
The mark-up on them is amazing!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:34 PM   #30

THOR #13362
Thanks for sharing your misfortune
I am not looking forward to any of this (Knock on wood)
Old 03-30-2021, 06:38 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your misfortune
I am not looking forward to any of this (Knock on wood)
You just jinxed yourself...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:22 PM   #32

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceandDeb View Post
Found all your comments very interesting. Late January we set out to get an inspection sticker (MA) on our 2019 Axis 25.6 MH and found our windshield cracked right over the driver side going almost to the other side. Went on line to put in claim to Ins. They set up appointment with Safelite. They asked for the Vin # and I kept saying this is a MH. Safelite set up appointment to change in our yard. The day before I text and again said are you sure you have the correct windshield since it is a MH. Yes we have the Vin #. Well of course the guy showed up and said oh we donít do MH replacement.
Back to Ins co who said sorry you need to talk with our MH windshield replacement provider. Really why wasnít I already talking to them! They found a company in our area that said we will not do replacement until April due to cold weather. I said not acceptable. I found them another company that had their logo on their website. Ins Co got back said they had a billing issue with that co so they could not do it but found another company in our area. Now we are a month waiting and they say they are shipping the new windshield and once it gets there the co will set up an appointment for installation. March 3 Ins Co says the new windshield has a scuff on it would we accept it and they will take off $100 from the deductible of $350. NO I donít want a scuff. OK they will ship a new windshield. New windshield arrives and being installed March 24! We receive a call from the very nice glass company saying the windshield doesnít FIT! Ins Co are telling us it is the correct windshield but the curvature of the mold the glass is placed might be distorted. Ins Co are now sending another one from Guardian (the original manufacturer) to be installed.
Has anyone else ever had any issues with it fitting? We purchased our MH brand new Jan 2020 and only used in FL winter of 2020.
Both times I had mine replaced they wanted a picture of the specs that is on the bottom center of the windshield. This tells them exactly what needs to be replaced.
Hope your replacement goes smoothly now that you have had so many hassles.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:27 PM   #33

State: Alabama
THOR #22687
I would recommend going thru a dealer. Chevy , Ford etc. I personally have not had very good luck with aftermarket type places.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:26 AM   #34

THOR #13362
I currently do not need a replacement windshield on my ‘17 Vegas. But called around to find out what I’d be looking at:
1) glass alone is $3500
2) install price is $2400
3) total = $5900

A specialized RV glass company who will come to me to repair.

My State Farm policy has $1000 comprehensive deductible for windshield repair (unless damaged in an actual accident, then it falls under collision)

So under my current policy, my share of the $5900 would be $1,000

That said, I can increase my premium upwards from $760/yr and it’ll reduce the comprehensive deductible.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:15 AM   #35

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
Attachment 29598

We replaced our windshield, this was the cost, Alaska cost!
Old 04-05-2021, 03:07 AM   #36

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Geez for what you are paying for windshields it ought to be bullet proof glass!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:23 AM   #37

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
The deductible was $500 so that lessened the pain, also itís the 2015 Axis the high windshield, I tried a conversation with Thor because Iíve read that half way up the windshield on the driver side many others have experienced cracks. Well long story short they denied any problem, I turned it over to Allstate and they were going to look into it... crickets! Anyway new one installed.. pleased.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:49 PM   #38

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post

Both times it was a little pebble strike on the interstate that started the crack. Both hits were at the bottom of the windshield. I am going to try and find a piece of stick on plastic guard 6-8" high to fit across the bottom of glass and see if that will help prevent a crack.
Good luck with your.
This is what has happened to me, but only once. It was tiny ping just above the rubber seal but bottom part of glass windshield. It is in the bottom of lower 6 inches where it has the dark tinted black glass. To be honest, that ding could have easily been there when I bought it. I only noticed when the crack started to expand outside that dark band. With that said; it may be luck of the straw where the pebble hits?

Turns out my insurance covers windshield in full with no deductible It has not been repaired yet; because I am trying to learn if I should go with a OEM glass (Custom Glass Solutions) or aftermarket? As far as I could tell, three of the companies basically use the same installers. However Duncan has lifetime warranty for any of their installers (for leaks or wind noise due to installation).

Hard to believe there is much difference in the glass Mfgs if all have same specs? Before I get a lecture from any of my distinguished colleagues, my OEM glass has already proven it could not make 18 months. Who is to say that replacement glass could not have survived that pebble or at worst cracked too?
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet w/WiFi6; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:42 AM   #39

Model: Axis 25.6
State: Massachusetts
THOR #20807
Smile

Finally the third windshield sent to our local glass company fit. It was a Guardian (the original manufacturer) windshield.
Now if MA vehicle inspection computer system could get back online we could get our motorhome inspected and start traveling. YES it has been down for weeks. If your inspection was due in April you now have until May 31 but ours was due in January but we were waiting to get windshield replaced to pass the inspection!!!!!