Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2021, 08:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Illinois
THOR #11013
Cracked windshield

Anyone ever had to replace a windshield on a 2015 Thor Vegas. Our insurance will pay for it but we are having trouble finding a place to have it replaced. Chicago area.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:00 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Have you checked with the local RV dealerships and repair shops?
They should be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:44 PM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Just had mine replaced for the 2nd time last week, two years apart. I went thru Safelite and they got right on it. You may save a couple of phone calls by calling Duncan systems direct who contracts to do Safelite's RV windshields I think. Their no. is 800-551-9149.
Then, Duncan had a local contractor do the installation which went well. Takes about two weeks or so for them to order the windshield.
They said it was a $4k windshield. Glad I didn't have to pay for it, but I would bet my ins. cost next yr. goes up.

Both times it was a little pebble strike on the interstate that started the crack. Both hits were at the bottom of the windshield. I am going to try and find a piece of stick on plastic guard 6-8" high to fit across the bottom of glass and see if that will help prevent a crack.
Good luck with your.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:52 PM   #4

THOR #11013
Thank you for your response but Safelite came out and looked at and told our insurance they don’t work on motor homes. But I’ll try again by calling the number you gave. Ours was a branch fell on windshield during a storm last spring. But this winter it grew. Monnie
Old 03-03-2021, 11:25 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Is it actually cracked; or does it just have a star in it?
Old 03-04-2021, 12:03 AM   #6

THOR #11013
It’s cracked. A line straight up from bottom. Started at around 4 inches. But Safelite told us it would be fine. Insurance was going to fix in June but I’ve been sick and in and out of hospital. Now we are ready to have fixed and went to check on it today at storage and now it’s about 10 inches long. That’s been since October. That’s when we had it out last.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:07 PM   #7

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
I am interested in how you resolve this, please keep us posted. I have a small crack, hired a windshield repair guy to do his magic that keeps it from growing at a cost of 50$. has been stable for a year now, happy me. every once in a while we get a bang off the windshield and thus far uncracked. I expect someday it will crack and would like to know what to expect, how to get it fixed. while driving I keep a good distance in front between me and them, in an effort to avoid rocks that get tossed. been in San Diego for a week now, very nice here. went on the Midway aircraft carrier museum, highly recommend visiting that if you are in the area. thanks and best wishes.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:53 AM   #8

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
We had to go through this with our hurricane. It was a pain to find a shop that would do it and once we did, we had an ordeal getting the windshield as the first one shipped was cracked. In the end though it worked out and we are happy with the results.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:55 PM   #9

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djrmar6 View Post
Thank you for your response but Safelite came out and looked at and told our insurance they don’t work on motor homes. But I’ll try again by calling the number you gave. Ours was a branch fell on windshield during a storm last spring. But this winter it grew. Monnie
You are correct, Safelite will not replace a windshield on most motorhomes. They will repair small cracks less that the size of a dollar bill.
Safelite is one of the preferred glass repair/replace companies for several insurance companies.
I would contact the insurance company directly and see if they could recommend a shop in your area that can replace the windshield.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:33 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yup! The adjuster handling the claim will have ajj of that information for you.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:03 PM   #11

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
we used guardian glass when ours got broken a few years back
handled it through our insurance , https://www.guardianglass.com/us/en/...transportation

safeflite has fixed a whole bunch of rock chips since then on all the vehicles
Old 03-06-2021, 10:41 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Our Companies only use SafeLite for their glass claims. In,over 30 years: I can only remember one issue with their work...
Old 03-07-2021, 12:00 AM   #13

THOR #11013
Thank you! Yes I have contacted the insurance and yes they are finding someone. Our crack started out about half the size of a dollar bill and Safelite said it couldn’t be repaired. Had to be replaced and they can’t do it. So it’s being fixed eventually.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:00 AM   #14

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Safeflight. No way.

I had a crack in my high roof Ford Transit windshield. Needed replaced. Safelight said they would change it at my location, I agreed and they made appointment. One hour before appointment they called and said glass wouldn't fit in their truck and I would have to come in. I agreed and we made another appointment.

I show up on the new day and drop off the Transit. I get a ride home from Uber. Right after I got home they called, they ordered the wrong windshield and I had to pickup the van.

Another Uber and I picked up Transit and did not make a third appointment. Never to return to Safeflight. They kept calling for weeks.

I had a local glass shop replace the glass the next week. They did it at my work parking lot and got it done in under 2 hours.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:31 PM   #15

THOR #794
Windsport Windshield Replacement

I had mine replaced about 4 years ago. The insurance company located a place near me when Safelite declined the job.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:38 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.3
THOR #3738
Nationwide RV Glass

We used Nationwide RV Glass last year on a 2016 Vegas. They found a local shop to do the install. Excellent work. No issues. 833-784-5277
Old 03-10-2021, 09:51 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks for the info, and welcome to our campfire!
Old 03-10-2021, 10:22 PM   #18

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
Safelite replaced the windshield on my Thor Daybreak 22GO Chevy van based class C. They did it in my driveway.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:07 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds
State: Georgia
THOR #8717
We had this issue on our 2015 Vegas. On a trip to Yellowstone and Glacier National Park in 2018, we wound up with two cracks, one on each side of the windshield from rocks thrown from other vehicles. Once home, I called every RV dealership / RV repair shop in our metro area with no success. I finally found Nationwide RV Glass. The customer rep I worked with was in Colorado (I live in Georgia). They worked with our insurance company and a local glass repair shop. It took 2- 3 weeks for the glass to be shipped to the repair shop if I remember correctly. Once the windshield was in, the repair shop sent a team to our home to replace it. I think there were 5 - 6 guys involved. It is a very large, heavy piece of glass.

They did a great job on the repair and we had no issues at all. The total cost was $5,400! Of course we had to pay the deductible, but I was very thankful that it was a covered repair.

Here is the link: https://nationwidervglass.com

Dan
Old 03-10-2021, 11:09 PM   #20

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Oregon
THOR #2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djrmar6 View Post
Anyone ever had to replace a windshield on a 2015 Thor Vegas. Our insurance will pay for it but we are having trouble finding a place to have it replaced. Chicago area.
We had to replace ours shortly after we bought it due to a crack from a rock. We used Safelite too. They had to order the new windshield - took a day or two to come in and they had it installed in a couple of hours. The cost was $3K, but because of insurance I only had to pay the deductible of $500.