Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2019, 09:03 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: Georgia
THOR #8717
I have a 2019 Thor Four Winds. How can you determine where the inverter is in order to turn it off?

Dan

Old 11-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #22

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Really questioning if the stock batteries are garbage!?

The stock batteries in my Hurricane lasted 1 year. I never dry camped. JUNK!!!!

I replaced them with Duracells and three years later they are strong as ever. Many people like Interstate batteries but I preferred to buy batteries from a company who does nothing but batteries!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:03 PM   #23

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasiello View Post
We have been loving our Thor Challenger since we picked it up in July, but one thing that eats at me is how long our batteries (don't) last. It seems that anytime we are boondocked overnight the batteries get dangerously low, and have twice gotten low enough where I needed a jump to be able to start the rig. Thank goodness for Good Sam Roadside! The display shows BOTH the house and chassis battery levels get quite low. The last time we had to jump all we had running overnight was the heater (it was around 40 outside).

Is this a result of crappy stock batteries that came with the rig? Should I get some nice interstate deep cell batteries (had them in my previous Class C and they worked like a champ!)? The water level on the batteries is fine. Is there something that I should be doing when I am boondocked overnight that I might not already be doing?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Stock Batteries are junk. I replaced mine and have had much better life. I plan to get a couple of Battle Born Lithium ION next for even better battery life. I also installed 300 watts solar which does a great job on keeping batteries charged.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:50 AM   #24

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Unlike many here I prefer plain old flooded batteries for the house. They cost about $80 and I plan to replace them every three years at a time convenient to me and when I can get a good sale. That way they always are fresh and by replacing them I have a good opportunity to clean the terminals and the tray. In my experience AGM batteries work fine until all of a sudden they don’t while flooded ones fail gradually giving plenty of warning. Works for me.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:59 AM   #25

State: Florida
THOR #14426
house battery warranty

We have a 2019 Thor Chateau 25v. The house batteries died after 6 months. I contacted Thor about a warranty claim and learned that Thor only warrants the batteries for 90 days! Clearly they don't have confidence in the batteries they install.

Also make sure that house batteries are being charged by the engine alternator. My was delivered with a blown fuse and if I did not use shore power or the generator, the house batteries went dead in about 24 hours.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:42 AM   #26

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox998 View Post
We have a 2019 Thor Chateau 25v. The house batteries died after 6 months. I contacted Thor about a warranty claim and learned that Thor only warrants the batteries for 90 days! Clearly they don't have confidence in the batteries they install.

Also make sure that house batteries are being charged by the engine alternator. My was delivered with a blown fuse and if I did not use shore power or the generator, the house batteries went dead in about 24 hours.

I think it says more about Thor’s confidence in their dealers. Most coaches sit for at least several months typically powered up and too often with lights or other things left on after a customer looks at it. It only takes hours or days to virtually kill a battery. New ones are under $100 and often it’s best to just replace them and move on.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:41 AM   #27

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Just go buy decent ones if you can not get the dealer to do it for you. Mine was dead 6 months into it, Thor buys cheapest crap available to them, batteries no exception. I bought a second one thinking only 1 was not enough ( most class A come with 2 to begin with, that should have been a signal..),, the factory battery killed my Walmart one. Lucky for me Walmart warrantied it and after putting in two new 12v Walmart done now 4 years later!
Old 11-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #28

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #15009
Battery issues also

I am sure that Thor uses cheap batteries also. I have a 2018 Windsport with 3400 miles on it and the inverter had to be replaced early this year ( per dealers recommendation ) because it has a very loud humming noise and would not keep the coach batteries charged. Had uneventful 3 trips this year and RV is now stored outside my home and plugged into house current with master switch on. Started engine yesterday with no problem but generator - no go ! checked system and find both batteries dead ! Not sure if 24 degree temps did them in, but thought with power to coach being constant they would survive ! Just don't know what else to do ! The electric system in this RV is driving me nuts ( and broke ).
Old 11-17-2019, 04:01 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Have you checked the water levels in them?
Old 11-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #30

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Washington
THOR #17092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satonit View Post
I am sure that Thor uses cheap batteries also. I have a 2018 Windsport with 3400 miles on it and the inverter had to be replaced early this year ( per dealers recommendation ) because it has a very loud humming noise and would not keep the coach batteries charged. Had uneventful 3 trips this year and RV is now stored outside my home and plugged into house current with master switch on. Started engine yesterday with no problem but generator - no go ! checked system and find both batteries dead ! Not sure if 24 degree temps did them in, but thought with power to coach being constant they would survive ! Just don't know what else to do ! The electric system in this RV is driving me nuts ( and broke ).
Having similar problems with my 2018 35M Windsport. I plan to remove the chassis battery and have it tested, but I have no doubt it's junk. And like you, I find my house batteries dead when sitting in storage for a couple weeks. I have not found a culprit for the parasitic drain so I plan to add a knife switch to the house batteries...I already added one on the chassis battery.

I agree...the electric system in this RV is driving me nuts! I can't fathom what is drawing down both sets of batteries.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:21 PM   #31

THOR #1295
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB9423C7-EF0F-4ABD-9B63-0A6CCF27541A.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	21502

This is what you need- change batteries! Notice the date when I changed them! It is 2015 model new October 2014.

Darren
Old 11-17-2019, 05:39 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Are those Duracells size 31, or 27?
(Or am I completely wrong? )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:45 PM   #33
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
The stock batteries in my Hurricane lasted 1 year. I never dry camped. JUNK!!!!

I replaced them with Duracells and three years later they are strong as ever. Many people like Interstate batteries but I preferred to buy batteries from a company who does nothing but batteries!
You think Duracell Automotive Lead-Acid batteries are made by Duracell? The company that makes dry cell and alkaline batteries? Sorry, not the case.

But if it makes you feel better, most automotive batteries are mad by manufacturers that make nothing but automotive batteries.

Lead-Acid Battery Manufacturers and Brand Names List 2019
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:31 PM   #34

Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox998 View Post

Hello - where can I look to find the fuse that charges the batteries off of the alternator? Thank you!
Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:56 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That's a very interesting (and mildly disconcerting!) link: thanks!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:29 PM   #36

THOR #10036
Freedom Elite 2017 ,CW told me I only needed 1bat.and l of the eectric in the coach was week.lights,backup camera etc. It was checked at Finish Line Battery in Lakeland,Fl. . Just 50 amp. He recommended two 100 amp one. No more problems.The best money I have spent.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:01 AM   #37

THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Are those Duracells size 31, or 27?
(Or am I completely wrong? )
These are the 27 size!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:19 AM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I thought they looked familiar...
Old 11-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #39

State: Oregon
THOR #16316
We had this problem too!

We had this problem too with our batteries on our 2019 Thor Aria. It turns out the vehicle had been on the lot in Detroit for about a year before we purchased it. The Batteries had not been maintained (liquid checked) and we ended up having to replace them all. They were all dry! It was expensive and we've submitted for reimbursement from the dealer. It did solve the problem!
Old 11-18-2019, 05:31 PM   #40

State: Colorado
THOR #2995
Crappy Batteries OR ? Any help out there?

2015 Thor Chateau 31W
The salesman said the 2 -27 Series Interstate batteries will power the Whirlpool 18cuft Fridge for 12 hours (“ he is a salesman”and i thought they should last 6-7 hours ).
Dead Wrong, they last only 3 3/4 hours. I added 4-100 Watt Solar panels. It keeps the fridge running while the sun is up. I put electrical power off switch on the radio. I upgraded to 31 Series Deep Cycle Batteries and added a 3rd battery.
It’s a little better. But after a couple of hours, the fridge tries to start with a “Clunk-Clunk Sound. The loudest in the early morning hours. Why is this happening?