Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2022, 04:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #26716
This is Crazy! Is it related?

So, for the past month I have had the 2016 Four Winds 28Z parked and plugged into an outside home outlet. The home outlet is on a 20 amp breaker. The electric plug in from the coach is not long enough to reach the outlet, so I added a 10' foot extension cord. All has been good with no real issues.

I have been outside doing something with the coach almost everyday (new vinyl floor, new wall covering, replacing jacknife sofa, cleaning, getting toilet to work, etc.)

The only time there has been a problem, is when I had the AC running, a 110v pedestal fan going, the fridge running, and then firing up the shop vac to clean up. Then it would trip the house breaker. Shutting off the AC while I vacuumed woulld keep it from tripping.

So yesterday, I shut off the fridge (nothing was in it) and I had the AC and fan running. About 15 minutes goes by and both stop working. I check the house breaker and all is good. I check the coach breaker and all is good. I check the electrical connections and find this!

It melted right at the adapter plug. I have not had any issues with this being plugged in prior to this for a month, and had been checking. I plugged and unplugged the cord at least 3 times in the last two weeks as I went to empty the tanks, refill with borax and such and drive a short distance to get it to slosh around.

I then started the generator to check to see if everything would work okay. It seemed to take slightly longer to fire up, and then the hour meter flashed once (it went blank momentarily then came back on). The weird thing was that the hour meter, added a digit! Last check was 217. 3 hours on the generator. Now it indicated 2171.3.

I let it run and finally the AC came on and ran perfectly fine. All other electrical components seem fine also.

Any ideas as to what caused the meltdown? How about the meter? Can it be reset correctly?

Thanks for any responses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220605_075705.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	37942  

Old 06-06-2022, 04:46 PM   #2

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Those pigtails can get really hot. Add in the extension cord with the length you are running and it’s not low enough gauge . What I would do is get the normal 30amp extension cord and run that all the way until you had to use the pig tail for the outlet.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:49 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
No clue about your meter but now you know the problem with puck adapters - they overheat when pulling close to 20 amps for a long time.

Get yourself a quality dogbone adapter

Since you're in the "mod mode" get yourself at least an AC voltage/current monitor:

Name:	AC Monitor.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	37943

And a DC monitor wouldn't hurt either:

Name:	DC Monitor.png
Views:	51
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	37944
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:53 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
Those pigtails can get really hot. Add in the extension cord with the length you are running and it’s not low enough gauge . What I would do is get the normal 30amp extension cord and run that all the way until you had to use the pig tail for the outlet.
I agree that 16 gauge extension cord probably dropped the available voltage to the MH and ramped up the AC draw from the A/C which led to the meltdown.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:55 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
I'll be Frank:
A limited knowledge base caused this.
Read, buy, prevent...regarding every aspect of rv use.

Newbs.
30 amp extension cords are not expensive.

(I use that silly little puck adapter. It runs the converter to run the fridge and 2 amp tap the batteries. It plugs directly into the wall, attached to a 30amp cord to the RV. Adapters have a firm and viable use with firm and definitive limits)

Punchline:
If not adept, do not adapt.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:25 PM   #6

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
No clue about your meter but now you know the problem with puck adapters - they overheat when pulling close to 20 amps for a long time.

Get yourself a quality dogbone adapter

Since you're in the "mod mode" get yourself at least an AC voltage/current monitor:

Attachment 37943

And a DC monitor wouldn't hurt either:

Attachment 37944

Forgot those pucks are terrible as well! And the pigtail you pictured is what they need to be using.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:30 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
The extension cord is the weak link...doesn't matter what adapters you use...that little extension cord (probably 16GA) toasted.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:48 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
That's the problem with just grabbing any old extension coard. Only extension coards rated for the load should be used.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:58 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Extensi...a-906250004053

10g lives at my house.
It's a
Buy it once and keep it for life
type purchase.
One lives in the RV just in case.

The first one I bought years ago had females on both ends. Seemed to be a thing, but I don't remember what for. I was more than a bit angry.
The second I bought was the wonky 20 amp cross tang male.
Neither were from the above vendor. One was true value store the other I don't remember.
All others have been no problem.
Easy fixes.

The lighted ends are nice
It let's you know if the wall has power.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:29 PM   #10

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Definitely extension cord was too small to carry that much load. As stated I only use 10 gauge extension cords and even then no more than 50 feet in total length.

Hopefully the cord melted before any long term damage was done to the air conditioner.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:56 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post

I then started the generator to check to see if everything would work okay. It seemed to take slightly longer to fire up, and then the hour meter flashed once (it went blank momentarily then came back on). The weird thing was that the hour meter, added a digit! Last check was 217. 3 hours on the generator. Now it indicated 2171.3.

I let it run and finally the AC came on and ran perfectly fine. All other electrical components seem fine also.

Any ideas as to what caused the meltdown? How about the meter? Can it be reset correctly?

Thanks for any responses.
The hidden lesson learned here is to trust your system, meaning breakers or GFCI. A lot people just assume they trip for no reasons, or just some defective part

Had you posted the breaker tripping problem before the damage, you would have got the same advice to avoid the damage.

If your question about what caused the meltdown was intended to ask why did it burn when it did when you had run the AC before?, then I would ask about how hot or how humid it was the day it almost caught on fire? That unit needing to run more and the added heat outside was the difference in capacity you did not have but should have had.

On the generator meter. I have two in my coach, the OEM meter I cannot change, the one with my Onan AGS I can set to whatever I want. If you are 100% sure it is not accurate, I would just replace. Hard to believe a 2016 only has 217 hrs, but then again, the biggest mystery I have come to learn since owning an RV is why do people go all out of their way to NOT use their generators
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:19 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Massachusetts
THOR #13212
Bottom line is never use anything less than a 12 gauge extension cord. If you have an cord less than 12 gauge on a 20 amp circuit, it's going to fry the cord or your devices when you get close to pulling the 20 amps. It's basic electrical standards.
Old 06-11-2022, 08:55 PM   #13

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Every lump in the line from the outlet to the coach is an invitation for heat…and IMHO is a fire waiting to happen. My humble advice: 1) replace the wall receptacle you were plugged into and check the wires for discoloration. I would not trust the integrity of that outlet since it had excessive current running through it. 2) wire a proper 30a RV outlet at home.
Old 06-11-2022, 09:39 PM   #14

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
You hit your thumb with the hammer, and it hurt... pain is analogous to the breaker tripping, saying DON'T DO THAT!

When you persisted, the wires melted to teach you what happens when you ignore warnings! I have learned many lessons from the school of hard knocks!!