Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2016, 12:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #4403
Unhappy Cummings gasoline generator for 2015 ACE RV

My ACE temperature in dash read 109 decrees. (Tucson AZ) I had just recently filled up my RV and was driving it 8 miles home. Some where along my drive, the generator cut off, it would not re-start. The panel flashed several times while I tried to re-start the generator. I didn't know that you have to count the flashes. After about an hour the generator did restart. Any one have any suggestions?

Old 06-04-2016, 02:53 AM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #1052
Yes there are a list of codes shown in the Owners Manual. You will need to count the flashes after the generator stalls. The codes are two digits. It could be anything from oil level to temperature. Your best bet is to read the manual to follow instructions to retrieve codes. Once you retrieve post here if unclear on the messaging.

D
Old 06-05-2016, 06:46 AM   #3

Model: Windsport34F
State: California
THOR #3382
I have had this problem from day 1 in a brand new THOR. It has been to ONAN twice, and both times they diagnosed, and replaced bad fuel pumps, this with less than 100 hours. It will run from 2-6 hours, quit, and not restart for hours.

ONAN says something in way it was installed is problem, THOR denies it, and I, the customer of both, get screwed in stereo. Kind of like Harris batteries all over again.

Right now no one has a solution, just typical finger pointing and responsibility denial. THOR also tried blaming ethanol in the fuel causing vapor lock. ONAN I am sure has had enough years to engineer their generators to work on 10% ethanol. At least, most seem to.

If anyone hears of someone getting a resolution, please share with all of us.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by winder1
I have had this problem from day 1 in a brand new THOR. It has been to ONAN twice, and both times they diagnosed, and replaced bad fuel pumps, this with less than 100 hours. It will run from 2-6 hours, quit, and not restart for hours.

ONAN says something in way it was installed is problem, THOR denies it, and I, the customer of both, get screwed in stereo. Kind of like Harris batteries all over again.

Right now no one has a solution, just typical finger pointing and responsibility denial. THOR also tried blaming ethanol in the fuel causing vapor lock. ONAN I am sure has had enough years to engineer their generators to work on 10% ethanol. At least, most seem to.

If anyone hears of someone getting a resolution, please share with all of us.
Onan/Cummins did have a run of bad fuel pumps.

Our genny quit on us on our 2nd trip with it and wouldn't start. When I took it to the local Cummins shop the tech there knew all about it and had the fuel pump swapped out faster than the guy at the front desk could get the paperwork done--he said he has done a lot of them. We haven't had any genny issues since the new pump was put in.

Our issue doesn't sound like yours though: ours quit and would not start back up until we got a new pump.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:38 AM   #5

THOR #4403
Thor ACE generator issues still go unresolved. After putting my coach in the shop at Lazydays, they could not duplicate the problem. I paid $155.41 for a generator service. I picked up my coach to drive it home, the generator cut off before I got there which was less than 20 minutes. The outside air temperature is 104. The generator blinked a code of two sets of 3. Help!! Going on vacation next week, driving across the hottest part of the country.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:41 AM   #6

THOR #1052
Arghhh too little time. I would get it in to Onan, unfortunately they usually schedule weeks out. Honestly I have not run my generator at temps above 100 since my maiden voyage to South Carolina back in August 2014. Since then I have occasionally experienced stalling of the genset after an hour or more of run time during mild temperatures. During its most recent service they replaced the fuel lines to the tank and replaced the carburetor. So far no issues but as I said I have not attempted a run during extreme temps..

Get it in to the generator experts...you also may need to come up with a plan B for vacation...you are cutting it dangerously close

Arizona
2. Cummins Rocky Mountain
651 North 101st Avenue
Avondale, AZ 85323
Toll free: 800-800-2345

Good Luck
Old 06-17-2016, 08:27 PM   #7

THOR #4403
Thank you,
Old 06-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #8

Brand: DRV
Model: PS3 Elite
State: Minnesota
THOR #3564
The generator flashing three times merely lets you know it has captured an error code. You need to push the stop button 3 times within a few seconds to get it to flash the actual error code. I just went through this with my generator and it flashed 5 - 8 instead of the double 3 flashes. My error code translates to exhaust temperature exceeding maximum and the unit shuts itself down after 20-30 seconds. It goes to the Onan shop next Wednesday...
2013 HD Ultra Limited
AlmostRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:21 PM   #9

THOR #3382
Generator Quitting

I have had mine to ONAN twice. Both times they said it appeared as if the pump was straining too hard, and failing. They said they thought the way THOR had installed it must be the problem.

Turns out, after many trips to THOR, they found a union in the gas line. Turns out this union, which is NOT supposed to be there, was made of plastic, and when the person tightened the O clamps, they overtightened, and crushed the plastic union, impeding the gas flow, causing the fuel pump to over work, and fail.

It was what ONAN said the problem was, from day 1. THOR kept insisting that their fuel lines were not ever spliced. Oh Well. I have had it back for a couple of days now, and it seems to be working. THOR also had the dealer install a vent in the generator closet, and rerouted the exhaust piping.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:22 PM   #10

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
The only time I have had the generator quit was in 104 temps wile
driving to Lake Havasu City AZ trying to run the roof A/C.

I don't think the generator like being run while driving. It is the only
time I've ever had a problem.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:51 AM   #11

THOR #1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by winder1 View Post
I have had mine to ONAN twice. Both times they said it appeared as if the pump was straining too hard, and failing. They said they thought the way THOR had installed it must be the problem.

Turns out, after many trips to THOR, they found a union in the gas line. Turns out this union, which is NOT supposed to be there, was made of plastic, and when the person tightened the O clamps, they overtightened, and crushed the plastic union, impeding the gas flow, causing the fuel pump to over work, and fail.

It was what ONAN said the problem was, from day 1. THOR kept insisting that their fuel lines were not ever spliced. Oh Well. I have had it back for a couple of days now, and it seems to be working. THOR also had the dealer install a vent in the generator closet, and rerouted the exhaust piping.
Winder..you may be on to something here. What I have observed with mine is the pump will click more noticeably as the unit runs. If it is in fact losing prime the pump is working harder to pump fuel and fails prematurely.

A few questions...

How long did your gen run before shutting down?
Was the outdoor temp over 90 degrees?
Were you able to restart immediately after a stall or did you have to wait for a period of time to restart?
Have you had extended run times since the vent install, pump repalcement and T fitting removal replacement?
Do you know the location of the plastic "T"?

Mine seems to stall when the following conditions are met:

1. I am driving the coach and operating the generator at the same time for more than 45 minute drive
3. the outside temp is 95-100 degrees

I have attempted to restart when it stalls, i must prime the pump has an odd thumping sound followed but quiet thump, press start and it stumbles runs at lower rpms and stalls again. Only letting it cool off for over an hour will let me start it normally.

Any input here is appreciated.

D
Old 06-26-2016, 05:30 AM   #12

THOR #3382
Onan service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain65 View Post
Winder..you may be on to something here. What I have observed with mine is the pump will click more noticeably as the unit runs. If it is in fact losing prime the pump is working harder to pump fuel and fails prematurely.

A few questions...

How long did your gen run before shutting down?
Anywhere from 4-6 hours.

Was the outdoor temp over 90 degrees?
Not always, and it was always on a freeway.

Were you able to restart immediately after a stall or did you have to wait for a period of time to restart?
It usually would not start for an hour or more.

Have you had extended run times since the vent install, pump repalcement and T fitting removal replacement? The longest it has been run since I got it back was 3-4 hours, with no issue.

Do you know the location of the plastic "T"? No.

Mine seems to stall when the following conditions are met:

1. I am driving the coach and operating the generator at the same time for more than 45 minute drive
3. the outside temp is 95-100 degrees

I have attempted to restart when it stalls, i must prime the pump has an odd thumping sound followed but quiet thump, press start and it stumbles runs at lower rpms and stalls again. Only letting it cool off for over an hour will let me start it normally.

Any input here is appreciated.

My generator failed the first day I left the dealer with a brand new coach, within 6 hours. I took it to a THOR dealer, and an ONAN dealer that first day. THOR dealer could find nothing. ONAN dealer replaced fuel pump, said it showed signs of strain, and thus the generator must be installed out of spec, check the fuel line! The ONAN dealer nailed it on day 1. Then begins the dance with THOR Warranty, and getting them to fix ANYTHING.

9 generator failures later, in 6 months, all of which the THOR dealer found nothing. Took back to ONAN, they replaced fuel pump that showed signs of strain, said it indicates generator installed out of spec. 40 hours since last pump.
CHECK THE FUEL LINE.

Called THOR Warranty, told them what ONAN said. 10 visits to THOR now, they finally find an unplanned union, installed ineptly. 9 months of not knowing what to expect with your generator, and this is only one of many malfunctions, including other electric problems, 3 sets of house batteries in 9 months, and on and on.

D
If you have a problem with THOR products under warranty, you are in a fight to get things repaired. I am not talking about drawer pulls, and penny ante stuff, that they are good about. But if it's going to cost real money, more than a couple hundred dollars, be ready for the finger pointing at dealers, vendors, YOU, in short, anybody but themselves, and their total lack of QA, seemingly at any level. It will take months of being in the shop, at any rate, while they putter around and finally fix things, if they do.

Good luck, you are going to need it.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:43 AM   #13

THOR #1052
Thanks for the answers and additional input. I emailed my service advisor today to get on the service schedule. Yesterday I tested theories by taking the coach out for an hour drive through my town at 5:00 pm, temp outside was 97. This time I bungied the generator door open and drove... The generator did not stall however when I returned home and was putting her up I noticed the clicking noise starting to occur from the fuel pump. It did not falter but it randomly clicked while running.

Tommorow after work I will be removing the exhaust cleanout and checking the fuel line from front to rear closely. I was able to confirm that the dealer did replace the whole fuel line from the generator to the chassis fuel tank.

D
Old 06-28-2016, 02:53 AM   #14

THOR #1052
Thanks for the answers and additional input. I emailed my service advisor today to get on the service schedule. Yesterday I tested theories by taking the coach out for an hour drive through my town at 5:00 pm, temp outside was 97. This time I bungied the generator door open and drove... The generator did not stall however when I returned home and was putting her up I noticed the clicking noise starting to occur from the fuel pump. It did not falter but it randomly clicked while running.

Tommorow after work I will be removing the exhaust cleanout and checking the fuel line from front to rear closely. I was able to confirm that the dealer did replace the whole fuel line from the generator to the chassis fuel tank.

D
Old 07-04-2016, 11:52 PM   #15

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
Very interesting problem

Just returned from a 1400 mile round trip to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge TN with a strange generator problem.

Now, I had a similar issue last summer while heading west to the Grand Canyon, and just thought it was getting overheated when it shut down, so I didnt' think anything of it... until this past week...

My Generator from day one runs fine...while boon docking. No issues until Im driving down the highway and cross a bridge with any type of jolting bumps.

Its showing a 36 error code. So I checked all the items in the manual. Air cleaner, spark plug wires, spark arrestor. It happens whether the fuel tank is full or 1/4 tank.

I looked under my coach to find a 5/8 fuel line from the tank with a 5/8 - 1/4 splice to a 1/4 fuel line to the filter and fuel pump. I found it odd, so I refferd to the installation manual and it stated it requires 1/4 fuel line or greater to operate correctly.

I checked the wiring to the fuel pump to be sure there were no loose or broken connections.

So Im debating weather to check the splice to see if it was "CRUSHED" during installation, then verify if the fuel pump is pumping the correct PSI for the generator to run correctly. I just may schedule a service appointment since its due for its PM, and let my extended warranty deal with the issue especially if its indeed a failing fuel pump.

Thoughts anyone?
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:38 AM   #16

THOR #3382
I posted my generator problems. 2 fuel pumps replaced by warranty by CUMMINS, with less than 60 hours operating time.

CUMMINS was adamant both times, different locations, same story, the pump was straining too hard, check installation, specifically fuel line for kinks, twists, too many cable ties.

10 times to THOR. FINALLY after the second fuel pump, they traced the fuel line and found a PLASTIC union that had been over tightened and crushed, impeding fuel flow. It was only when the generator was running while under way, after 2-4 hours, that the generator would get fuel starved enough to shut down.

According to CUMMINS, it's the most common situation they run into causing generator failure. Their recommendations are always to verify the integrity of the entire fuel line run. There is never supposed to be a union of any sort, ever.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:49 AM   #17

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #2073
If the union is restricting flow, i will fix it and see if my issue is resolved. My union is strapped to the top of my chassis and easily accessed. If it is not impeding flow, my problem probably is the fuel pump. I will take it in for warranty repair.
Montz, Louisiana
The Guidrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:13 AM   #18

THOR #1052
Generator Issue, '15 30.1 ACE

Guidrys/Winder1,

Good and timely posts this evening..

History:

Week 1 - August 2014 Dallas to South Carolina - 30+ Stalls, Ambient Temps 95-108 degrees - Miserable trip with 3 Giant Dogs!

Week 3 - Sept 2014 (100 Hours) - Appt with Onan - Diagnosed failed fuel pump, replaced but tech was scratching his head on other root cause. He could not find any other issue.

Sept 2014 - Dec 2015 - No problem during monthly exercises or extended runs while parked or driving.

Feb 2016 - Visited dealer to repair other plumbing and rattling issues and when I turned the corner into the dealership the generator sputtered and died. I gave service advisor history and told him to add it to the list as I remember the sound and experience with stalling/fail to restart. They went through the unit were able duplicate problem and proceeded to replace the entire fuel line front to rear and replaced carb.

Several monthly exercises since that service with no failures. This past weekend I took it to work to refill propane for upcoming trip. Generator stalled...same as the first week. I called Onan and scheduled an appointment. (220 Hours on the clock)

Yesterday I woke up at 7 am and got to work. I traced the fuel line to confirm it was new from gen to fuel tank. Very impressed with condition and no bends, kinks, or special fittings in line. I changed the oil (30 weight this time) purchased a metal vent at my local hardware store and got the saws out. I cut the opening in the door and installed the vent. Started the gen and it ran well and was pulling air through the new vent. I took it on the highway and stopped a few minutes to check temperatures at the inlet vs ambient and all was well. I got back in the coach shut the door and the generator stalled;(

So I have done all I can do except replace the fuel pump. I will not change it, Onan will as the unit is still under warranty. I hope that they will get to root cause here. Could excess temperature cause two fuel pumps to fail?? I think so.. Could there be another restriction within the fuel system, maybe?

Will update you both after my Onan appt next week...

Please do the same if you learn anything new.

Hope you all had a great 4th!

D
Old 07-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
FWIW Onan has a history of bad fuel pumps on their generators. On my prior coach the fuel pump failed with 12 hours on the meter.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #20

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a question about my Onan generator. Is it normal for them to make a ticking sound which almost sounds like arcing similar to a spark plug arcing on metal? Is this the spark arrestor making the sound? I've only heard it the last couple of times I exercised my generator and it only last a few seconds with a few seconds lapse in between.

Any reason for concern and further checking or normal operation?

TIA