Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2016, 01:14 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24FS
State: Georgia
THOR #5981
CW Woodstock: Service crazyness

CW in Woodstock GA, told me today said that "they are a small CW" (both real-estate wise and service wise) and thus you have to leave your unit on site awaiting repair which could be two weeks or more in the future. And in the mean time your unit might be setting outside of their gated facility just waiting for vandals to hit.

I said can't I just make an appointment and bring my unit in for work that day? Answer was NO.

If your facility is starved for real-estate, why not do repairs by appointment rather than stacking up the RV's like cord wood in a space limited facility?

Old 12-08-2016, 01:19 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmikea View Post
CW in Woodstock GA, told me today said that "they are a small CW" (both real-estate wise and service wise) and thus you have to leave your unit on site awaiting repair which could be two weeks or more in the future. And in the mean time your unit might be setting outside of their gated facility just waiting for vandals to hit.

I said can't I just make an appointment and bring my unit in for work that day? Answer was NO.

If your facility is starved for real-estate, why not do repairs by appointment rather than stacking up the RV's like cord wood in a space limited facility?
Well, my guess to answer your question, would be, because they have all the business they can handle and don't give a hoot about their customers, and know there will always be more.

Ken
Old 12-08-2016, 01:37 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24FS
THOR #5981
Well, that was my thought too. But their logic truly escapes me. Perhaps they have had experience working for the government.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:59 AM   #4

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #5927
When we were looking at buying an Axis, we went over to CW in Woodstock. They basically said we couldn't test drive the unit unless we were going to buy it from them. That didn't leave a good impression for us.

If you need to get warranty work done, RV World of Georgia does warranty work on Thor products. As a matter of fact, our new Axis is there right now for warranty work. They said it would be 2 weeks before they could get a chance to look at it. We just checked today (after only 1 week), and they have the unit in one of the service bays and have already looked at several items on the list. They are going to have to order some parts from Thor for the repairs--so, we'll have to see how long that takes.

They did want to keep the unit until they could get around to looking at it. Which for us was just fine--we haven't sold our old RV (anyone need a well maintained 2012 Itasca Reyo? . So, we don't need to get a second spot in the storage lot, yet. I did forget something out of the RV and they drove me down to where they had already stored it. It was in a locked fenced in area with all of the other RV's to be serviced and some of their own stock. So, I was pretty comfortable with the layout.

We bought the Reyo from RV World and so far have been pretty impressed with the service. We were talking to Thor warranty call center and they said that RV World would be a good place to get the Axis serviced.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:47 AM   #5

State: Ohio
THOR #6068
Wholesale warranty dot com

My very first post, and also our very first Thor. So please forgive me if I'm totally lost where to post or how to ask, but here goes. We have purchased a 2017 Axis from a place in Albany, sight unseen. Ok. Rib me later on that one...

They want to sell us an extended warranty that will cost a small fortune and is through whoever they work through. On these forums, I learned that you should shop around. Has anyone got experience with Wholesale Warranties? The price is better than the dealer, but I never herd of them before...thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:09 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfg2575 View Post
My very first post, and also our very first Thor. So please forgive me if I'm totally lost where to post or how to ask, but here goes. We have purchased a 2017 Axis from a place in Albany, sight unseen. Ok. Rib me later on that one...

They want to sell us an extended warranty that will cost a small fortune and is through whoever they work through. On these forums, I learned that you should shop around. Has anyone got experience with Wholesale Warranties? The price is better than the dealer, but I never herd of them before...thanks in advance.
This probably should be a separate thread, but below are some comments on extended warranties last September. Remember you have a year warranty from Thor and more than that from some manufactures of the components as well as a three year warranty from Ford. A lot depends on how good you are at fixing things and his high your risk tolerance is. Any warranty is only as good as the company backing it. Personally, I have owned four small RVs over the past 10 years and after the first year warranty ran out, the biggest bill I have had was an $800 A/C replacement. I figure that if something breaks, I can fix it if replace it for less than I would have paid for an extended warranty. So far I have been right, but of course that could change tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4067.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	3492  
Old 12-08-2016, 03:22 AM   #7

State: Ohio
THOR #6068
Thank you!

Thank you for the fast response. I see you also have an Axis 24.1. I hope you are happy--we shopped several dealers before deciding on this model, but the best price won. Your reply about the extended warranty really helped. We will go pick it up and begin enjoying it as soon as we can head south. I think we will ride with the original Ford and individual warranties for a while and see how it goes. BTW. I've read many of your comments as we shopped Thor and they were very useful.

Paul
Old 12-08-2016, 03:55 AM   #8
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmikea View Post
... and thus you have to leave your unit on site awaiting repair which could be two weeks or more in the future.
I've used 2 different General RV locations in Michigan for service...
One works on appointments - but often 3 weeks or more out...
The other says bring it in anytime - but it is going to sit until they can get to it...
So which one will be faster? lol...

Need to find a dealer in FL now anyway... Lake County if anyone has suggestions...
Nichols RV is certainly closest to me (minutes). CW in Ocala is about half hour or more...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #9

THOR #4735
the CW in Woodstock is probably the most CHALLENGING rv dealership to visit that I have ever seen, and I have seen and visited MANY around the country during our travels...

while you may can see it from the interstate, you can not see it from the road that it is off of... the street the dealership is actually on becomes very narrow, with cars and trucks, even employee vehicles crowding the street near the entrance. The parking area within the dealership for customer's motorhomes is very tight, even without a toad. Everything is fenced and gated, like most many CWs, where you must enter through the office/store and thru the sales department just to get out to the lot to look at any units.

on the flip side, I've seen several CWs which have easy-to-access parking areas for customers, little fencing and gated areas, and allow easy access to units, even without a salesperson. I overnighted at one recently in Wisconsin. I called ahead and they put out a 50a shore power cord for me that was connected inside their service bay. Other CWs I've contacted said that they don't 'allow' customer parking overnight. I guess it's up to each management team, it's not always consistent across the brand chain.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfg2575 View Post
Thank you for the fast response. I see you also have an Axis 24.1. I hope you are happy--we shopped several dealers before deciding on this model, but the best price won. Your reply about the extended warranty really helped. We will go pick it up and begin enjoying it as soon as we can head south. I think we will ride with the original Ford and individual warranties for a while and see how it goes. BTW. I've read many of your comments as we shopped Thor and they were very useful.

Paul
You are welcome. Hope you have a good dealer to work with for any warrantee work that you will have. I have worked with two Thor dealers and both have stepped up to all the "major" things that needed to be fixed and Thor has stepped up as well. All the little things and some that many would think are "major" I have done myself. My major complaints have not been with the dealer and Thor agreeing to the repairs, but actually finding someone at the dealer who has the knowledge and expertise to fix them. The most minor things like replacing an awning or hooking up a new radio correctly seem to be beyond their expertise.
One other thing. You will save yourself a world of trouble and pain if you go over the coach with a fine tooth comb at delivery and make the dealer fix everything before you drive it off the lot. Unless you have an unusual dealer, once you leave the lot all the little things that need to be fixed will be yours to fix. You will be anxious to get out on the road and take your new toy home. My advice is - don't sign and drive until every last thing has been fixed to your satisfaction. Be an "a" hole about it. It is the last time you will have the advantage over the dealer. Download Ed's Axis manual and go over everything. Make sure everything works on generator power, shore power and 12v. Get there early and tell them you want in the coach for a couple of hours before they do the walk through. Write down everything you want fixed and give a copy to the dealer. Once they start the walk through they will rush you through it and treat you like an idiot if you try and slow them down. If you have an iPhone or camera record all the important instructions. You will not remember them later. If you have a friend who has a RV experience, take them along for a second, non-glazed set of eyes and ears. Plan to leave and not pick up the coach until the next day. They will try to get you to sign and get it off the lot with the promise that they will fix it later. Once you drive it off the lot it is yours with all the warts and a good dealer will tell you that. There is no "buyer's remorse", at least in Florida. I so wish I had done all that on my first Vegas. I did on my new Axis and the initial experience was much more positive for me. The dealer hated me before I left, but I have only been back once - 9 months after I purchased it.
All that being said we loved our Vegas (25,000 miles and trips to Alaska and eastern Canada) and we love our Axis (9,000 miles to Colorado and Utah). I hope you will love yours as much. Good luck!
Old 12-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #11

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Here is the link to download my Users' Manual. There is a comprehensive Pre-Delivery Checklist in it especially focused on Vegas/Axis.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote