Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2016, 02:55 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
That damn step

Is there a way to disable the auto step on the ACE 30.1 short of pulling the fuse. I've nearly killed myself twice on it as has my wife. The ONLY time I can ever imagine it should be out is when your up on jacks and you put it out permanently. The book would seem to indicate you can with the rocker switch but I must not be using the right combo as I can't make it stay in. Anybody?

Old 08-21-2016, 01:18 PM   #2

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
I just checked mine. I tried every switch position and do not see a way to do it short of installing a switch on one of the motor wires to interrupt the power to it mounted beside the one in the step well. Not sure I would do it as it has a safety installed so you cannot drive off with it down.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:06 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
One switch position will deploy/retract the stairs every time the door is opened/closed...
The other will deploy it when the door is opened - and leave it out - then revert to above behavior when the ignition is on...

Would be a safety issue for Thor to allow you to open the door without the step deploying. I'm sure someone would sue them over it.
Of course you can modify your RV to your content...

There are plugs just under the stair where you can disable... or add a switch... I had to unplug when I had an 'acting up' stair that decided to extend while I was driving (door switch turned out to be the culprit - it thought the door was opening - and deployed.) Glad I wasn't that close to anything...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:16 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
I have a different model MH than you. My step is activated by a reed switch in the door frame and a magnet on the door. When the door closes, the magnet activates the switch and the step pulls in. A thin magnet laid across the switch will keep the step retracted.
Yours may be different.
CasaLoca in Acadia NP