Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2022, 10:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3401
State: Texas
THOR #25110
Dash AC Air Flow: 2018 Aria 3401

I have a new to me 2018 Thor Aria. Ever since I got in October of last year the dash air has acted crazy. On "fresh air" and at low speeds it blows just fine. Once I get to highway speeds I get virtually no air flow at all. If I switch to recirculate the air flow is much better but seems to freeze up if I drive in that mode for too long. I'm sure it is freezing up because the Freon charge is not right but I'm trying to track down the air flow problem before I get Freon checked. Thanks

Old 04-07-2022, 06:19 PM   #2

Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBob View Post
I have a new to me 2018 Thor Aria. Ever since I got in October of last year the dash air has acted crazy. On "fresh air" and at low speeds it blows just fine. Once I get to highway speeds I get virtually no air flow at all. If I switch to recirculate the air flow is much better but seems to freeze up if I drive in that mode for too long. I'm sure it is freezing up because the Freon charge is not right but I'm trying to track down the air flow problem before I get Freon checked. Thanks
Hi Bob, is this a DP? Sounds like it could be potentially a couple of things. Your evaporator could be freezing up, low freon or bad expansion valve. You said it blows fine at low speeds and when on the highway you get little to no air. One other thing is it could be a vacuum leak and the air is blowing fine but defaulting to the defrost vent because the door that is vacuum controlled is losing its vacuum. All things to be checked. If you know how to hook up a set of gauges you can trouble shoot your system, if not then find a friend or a certified a/c repair guy and have them trouble shoot it for you. Really shouldnt be too hard to trouble shoot assuming whoever is looking at it knows what they are doing. Good luck and let us know what you find out
Old 04-07-2022, 06:37 PM   #3

THOR #25110
Thanks. I don't think the air flow is freezing up because it will happen right away and when I slow back down it starts blowing again. I'm not sure if a diesel has vacuum actuators but I'll look around the system and see. I guess I'll get the freon charge right and see if it still does it. I am hoping someone had the same problem and knew where to look. I appreciate any suggestions.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:41 PM   #4

Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBob View Post
Thanks. I don't think the air flow is freezing up because it will happen right away and when I slow back down it starts blowing again. I'm not sure if a diesel has vacuum actuators but I'll look around the system and see. I guess I'll get the freon charge right and see if it still does it. I am hoping someone had the same problem and knew where to look. I appreciate any suggestions.
Hi Bob just read your response. I don't know for sure either as I don't have a diesel but if it is vacuum operated you will have a vacuum pump that operates the doors for your a/c. I'm sure someone with your particular model will be along shortly. Good luck sir and I hope you get your problem fixed.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:41 PM   #5

THOR #25110
Thanks!