Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Quebec
THOR #2688
Emergency start Vegas 2016

Hi
Did anybody have used the emergency start in their RV. Chassis battery went dead, tried to use this function , held switch in posisition and tries to start did not work.

I wounder of the proper way to use the emergency start , and connections of wires to make it happen. Connection with the house batteries does not seem to work.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2020, 04:21 PM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #19360
Emergency Start Vegas

I have used my emergency start 3 time on a Vegas 2018 25.5. It worked twice but did not one other time

Hold the start button down for 20 seconds then release it then try the ignition using the key. AS I said, it worked 60% of the time.

Alajeu
alajeunesse@centurytel.net
Old 10-04-2020, 05:32 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I have never used the start switch, but if I did, this is what I would do:

If the chassis battery isn't totally dead, hold down the start switch while you turn the key to crank. This way the coach battery is combined with the start battery. If you just hold down the start switch for 20 seconds, you are putting a little bit of charge into the chassis battery but when you let go of the start switch then the chassis battery has to do the starting by itself.

If the chassis battery is dead or close to dead, then I would first start the generator. How do you do that when the chassis battery is usually the source of starting current for the generator? You hold the start switch down for maybe a minute and then start the generator while keeping the switch engaged. The generator requires much less current to start than the chassis engine and will probably start.

Then once the generator settles down and is charging the coach battery, hold the start switch down for maybe 5 minutes. This puts some charge into the start battery and the generator keeps the coach battery voltage up while it is charging. Then try to start the chassis engine while holding the switch down.

The above procedure with some modifications for MH use is what I do when I use jumper cables from one running car engine to start another with a dead battery. Hasn't failed me yet. I once had to wait 15 minutes to build up a charge in the dead battery, but it finally started.

I may be missing something specific about Mhs that may not let this procedure work. Please correct me if so.

David
Old 10-04-2020, 06:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
If the chassis battery is dead or close to dead, then I would first start the generator. How do you do that when the chassis battery is usually the source of starting current for the generator?
Most Thor coaches use the HOUSE batteries to start the generator.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #5

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by michbout View Post
Hi
Did anybody have used the emergency start in their RV. Chassis battery went dead, tried to use this function , held switch in posisition and tries to start did not work.

I wounder of the proper way to use the emergency start , and connections of wires to make it happen. Connection with the house batteries does not seem to work.

Thanks
When you say "tries to start", does that mean the engine turned over?
What condition were the house batteries in?
How long did you hold the button down?
You shouldn't have to do anything with wiring to get the emer start function to work.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:05 PM   #6

THOR #2688
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
When you say "tries to start", does that mean the engine turned over?
What condition were the house batteries in?
How long did you hold the button down?
You shouldn't have to do anything with wiring to get the emer start function to work.
House batteries were full charged.
I held the button steady while turning key to start. Did not respond, engine was not turning just a click.
I did not hold the button for a long time.

Thanks for your help
Old 10-05-2020, 03:50 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
If the chassis battery is dead, you hold down the emergency start button down while turning the ignition key to start the chassis. If it still does not work, you may need to add an additional power source like a portable battery jump starter or jumper cables from another car to help start it.

Paul
Old 10-06-2020, 12:44 AM   #8

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
What Paul said - hold the button and turn the key, that works for me.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:21 AM   #9

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Quote:
Originally Posted by michbout View Post
House batteries were full charged.
I held the button steady while turning key to start. Did not respond, engine was not turning just a click.
I did not hold the button for a long time.

Thanks for your help
When you push the aux/emer start button, you should hear a 'click' as the solenoid energizes, if you don't hear it, it's probably bad.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:42 AM   #10

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Just went through this with our Aria. Cranking batteries flat, coach batteries down enough to not crank over the main diesel; however, they had enough juice to start the generator, so we cranked it up, waited about 10 minutes, then had enough juice to crank up the main engine.
GVP
Old 10-10-2020, 07:15 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 32R
State: South Carolina
THOR #17209
My neighbor had a brand new Freedom Elite 28H that the e-start relay was wired incorrectly at the factory and did not work. It should have been a warranty fix but CW charged them $942 to fix it. Won't deal with them anymore.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #13816
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVP-The Boxcar Children View Post
Just went through this with our Aria. Cranking batteries flat, coach batteries down enough to not crank over the main diesel; however, they had enough juice to start the generator, so we cranked it up, waited about 10 minutes, then had enough juice to crank up the main engine.
GVP
We had the same situation. It was our own fault. It was after Hurricane Laura. We lost power to our home. It never occurred to us to go flip the use/store switch on the Vegas that was plugged into our house. When we finally went out to start the RV just to let it run ALL the batteries were DEAD! My husband charged the house batteries, but they would never start the coach battery. He finally decided to start the generator off the charged house batteries. That worked. We allowed the generator to run for a while to charge the batteries, and then we held the emergency start switch down for a couple of minutes to allow additional charging for the coach batteries. We kept the generator running, kept holding down the emergency start switch and then tried starting the engine again. SUCCESS!!! It’s a constant learning process. Once again, we used this forum to help us navigate a “situation”.
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:51 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Most Thor coaches use the HOUSE batteries to start the generator.

Just a note. As I understand it, this diagram is missing the circuit that exist on my Vegas that allows the engine alternator to charge both the chassis battery and the coach batteries and conversely the coach generator/converter to charge the chassis battery. I would assume that the ACE has a similar circuit. If this circuit is not working correctly isolation can be lost and all batteries can be discharged.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:12 AM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
My chassis battery was dying the last few days of our France trip last year, had to use the house batteries 2 or 3 times to get going. Just hold the start button and turn the key, worked fine, but I can see a completely dead chassis battery needing a bit more. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:21 AM   #15

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabs4 View Post
We had the same situation. It was our own fault. It was after Hurricane Laura. We lost power to our home. It never occurred to us to go flip the use/store switch on the Vegas that was plugged into our house. When we finally went out to start the RV just to let it run ALL the batteries were DEAD! My husband charged the house batteries, but they would never start the coach battery. He finally decided to start the generator off the charged house batteries. That worked. We allowed the generator to run for a while to charge the batteries, and then we held the emergency start switch down for a couple of minutes to allow additional charging for the coach batteries. We kept the generator running, kept holding down the emergency start switch and then tried starting the engine again. SUCCESS!!! It’s a constant learning process. Once again, we used this forum to help us navigate a “situation”.

Indeed a learning situation for all of us!
GVP
Old 10-15-2020, 11:30 PM   #16

Model: Infinity
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12753
We have a 2000 Infinity and I tried to use our emergency start button several times with zero success.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:57 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
One word of caution using the emergency start switch. If the chassis battery is really dead, be careful of momentarily holding the emergency start switch down, starting the engine and immediately letting up on the emergency start switch. The engine probably will not start anyway without some charging up the chassis battery, but if it does and you let off the emergency start switch too quickly, if the chassis battery does not have a sufficient charge it could destroy your engine computer. It happened to me with a car computer. If you have a really dead chassis battery, you are safer to start the generator and let it charge the chassis battery before you attempt to start the engine.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:58 PM   #18

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Pop the e start switch out and make sure it is connected. Thor has been known to incorrectly wire such things.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:43 PM   #19

THOR #2688
Under warranty I had this checked out by dealer, he told me that wires were not connected properly. Took his word but surely they did not fix the problem.
House batteries were full charged, held the e switch while tuyrning key nothing happening. I used jump cable to start it.

I taught the generator was charging the house batteries only ???

Thanks everybody for your respond
Old 10-22-2020, 03:41 AM   #20

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
On my 2015 RV there is a solenoid relay that connects the house batteries with the chassis circuit. My emergency start system activates that solenoid. If that relay is broken, the emergency start won't work. Also your chassis alternator wont charge the house batteries and vice versa. Your rig may be the same.