Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2022, 04:39 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
The relay for the blower motor is most likely the problem.

Old 01-15-2022, 06:13 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 34 B
State: Virginia
THOR #22976
The relay was my first thought also (actually, second after the fuse), but I've already checked the relay. It tested fine and I even swapped it out with another one. No luck.

In the meantime, my horn has also stopped working... :-(
Old 01-15-2022, 06:24 PM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by To Camp View Post
The relay was my first thought also (actually, second after the fuse), but I've already checked the relay. It tested fine and I even swapped it out with another one. No luck.

In the meantime, my horn has also stopped working... :-(
Trace the wire bundle from the ignition switch and check all connections. They have been known to be loose. Since turning the ignition switch sometimes resolves the issue, a loose connection seems likely.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:10 PM   #24

THOR #22976
Good news on the dash fan! I pulled the P5 connector on the battery control center board and noticed that one of the connectors was in pretty bad shape. I can't figure out whether it's corrosion/rust or if it got overheated. Treated the connectors with DeoxIT and now the dash fan is working.

When the weather warms up I'll probably replace the rusty connector.

On to the horn, which is still not working...

I have attached some pictures in case it helps someone else.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:11 PM   #25

Model: Challenger
State: Maryland
THOR #25281
Quote:
Good news on the dash fan! I pulled the P5 connector on the battery control center board and noticed that one of the connectors was in pretty bad shape. I can't figure out whether it's corrosion/rust or if it got overheated. Treated the connectors with DeoxIT and now the dash fan is working.

When the weather warms up I'll probably replace the rusty connector.

On to the horn, which is still not working...

I have attached some pictures in case it helps someone else.

Hi sir, thats not rust thats an overheated pin which probably means your fan needs to be replaced as its pulling a lot of amps. At the very least the board and the pin will need to be replaced. Im sure some other people will chime in hear shortly but that to me definitely looks like the motor is pulling too many amps and overheating. Good luck
Old 01-26-2022, 11:21 PM   #26

THOR #22976
Hmmm... that's not good. Shouldn't the fuse have blown, though?

I'll have to pull the board.
Old 01-27-2022, 02:29 AM   #27

THOR #22976
Any idea what make/model connector this is? I've searched quite a bit but I can't find anything that looks like it.

Interestingly, I came across a post from 2018 that seems to describe this very same problem: https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...ail-12853.html
Old 01-27-2022, 08:53 PM   #28

THOR #25281
Quote:
Any idea what make/model connector this is? I've searched quite a bit but I can't find anything that looks like it.

Interestingly, I came across a post from 2018 that seems to describe this very same problem: https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...ail-12853.html
Hi sir, if I were you I would look for another solution to your problem. A suggestion might be to remove the red wire from the plastic harness and look for a connector at your local electric shop that will connect both the red wire and then slide onto the circuit board. The board doesn't look too bad but if it has any burn marks on it, it will likely need to be replaced. If you can find a terminal that will work you may be able to drill a bigger hole thru the plastic harness and slide the new connector thru the harness and onto the post on your circuit board. Good luck and if you have any other questions let me know.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:52 AM   #29

THOR #22976
That sounds like a good solution.

Do you still suspect the fan itself? Would it make sense to still replace it? I'm the second owner and I wonder if the 25A fuse did blow at some point in the past.
However, I read somewhere that there are other, lower-amp fuses in the fan circuit. If that's the case wouldn't (or shouldn't) they have blown first?

I guess I'm puzzled that the wire overheated at the connector before the fuse(s) blew. Given the reports from other owners who experienced the same issue there seems to be something amiss.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:31 PM   #30

THOR #25281
Quote:
That sounds like a good solution.

Do you still suspect the fan itself? Would it make sense to still replace it? I'm the second owner and I wonder if the 25A fuse did blow at some point in the past.
However, I read somewhere that there are other, lower-amp fuses in the fan circuit. If that's the case wouldn't (or shouldn't) they have blown first?

I guess I'm puzzled that the wire overheated at the connector before the fuse(s) blew. Given the reports from other owners who experienced the same issue there seems to be something amiss.
I believe you are correct. It's quite possible that this is a poor design and that the motor pulls more amps than what the circuit can handle especially knowing that several other people have had the same issue. Seriously I'm not sure replacing the motor is going to help. I'm surprised someone else hasn't jumped in to offer another suggestion. I would suggest when you put it back together that you use die electric grease on all the terminals as this will ensure good contact with the fittings. Sorry I can't offer you more help. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:40 AM   #31

THOR #22976
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd853 View Post
I believe you are correct. It's quite possible that this is a poor design and that the motor pulls more amps than what the circuit can handle especially knowing that several other people have had the same issue. Seriously I'm not sure replacing the motor is going to help. I'm surprised someone else hasn't jumped in to offer another suggestion. I would suggest when you put it back together that you use die electric grease on all the terminals as this will ensure good contact with the fittings. Sorry I can't offer you more help. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
When I get it all up and running again I'll run some tests and post the amps the fan is drawing.