Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2019, 08:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2 - E-450
State: Virginia
THOR #5259
Dash Cigar Lighter & USB Power Dead

The cigar lighter and USB port on the dash under the radio of my '17 Thor Axis 25.2 died during our last trip. Where the heck is the fuse located?

http://riverdaleautosales.com/CigarLighterPlugUSP.jpg

Old 09-28-2019, 09:11 PM   #2

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Internet?

Internet? That is where I found it located or maybe you have the Ford E350 manual, I am sure it would be located there too.

Stay cool
Old 09-28-2019, 09:48 PM   #3

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Just a guess but try fuse 72 (20 amp) in the Power Dist Box. Link to a 2016 E350 Owners manual (for 2017 coach) attached.....look under fuses.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/partsands...owner-manuals/

Nice to see a contributor from England on the forum.....welcome.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:50 PM   #4

Model: Thor Axis 25.2
THOR #5208
I didn't find it in the manual or online. Was hoping someone here might have run into the same issue. Just replaced the USB outlets on the slide because they started smoking
Old 09-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Two plac s to check. 1. Fuse box in outside compartment under the driver’s side window and under the hood. Fig 1 is for the fuse box outside and Fig 2 is for under the hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25B051B5-747D-483B-9928-3003B129F7E8.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	20549   Click image for larger version

Name:	C07F8B4F-7029-43D8-8DA0-6AC334D7479C.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	20550  

Old 09-28-2019, 11:24 PM   #6

THOR #5259
Thank you. I will check the compartment fuse # F17, as well as all the other fuses in that spot, tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Two plac s to check. 1. Fuse box in outside compartment under the driver’s side window and under the hood. Fig 1 is for the fuse box outside and Fig 2 is for under the hood.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #7

THOR #16016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Handyman View Post
The cigar lighter and USB port on the dash under the radio of my '17 Thor Axis 25.2 died during our last trip. Where the heck is the fuse located?

http://riverdaleautosales.com/CigarLighterPlugUSP.jpg
Dear Handyman, it's really bad luck fro you! !! i'm totally thundered after saw that. sorry as unable to give you update in that issue.

But i think high experienced user can help you.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:09 PM   #8

THOR #5259
OK, I found and replaced one blown 5A fuse in the drivers side compartment that I have no idea what it controlled and I fixed the cigar lighter problem by replacing a 30A Low Profile Female Maxi Fuse (???) in the engine compartment, but my USB outlet is still dead. Any ideas?

It would be nice if Thor supplied an easy-to-use list of what controls what in the various fuse compartments.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:30 PM   #9

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I don't know your coach, but the USB unit wiring "probably" multiples off the 12vdc feed to the cigar lighter receptacle below it (just basing that on Thor cost to run wires just for the USB unit). Usually these USB units contain a buck converter (electronics) to convert from 12vdc to 5vdc. So if the cigar socket works for 12vdc I would "suspect" either the USB unit has its own in line fuse inside the dash panel that has blown, or the USB unit itself has a problem. I could be totally wrong of course......some other fuse feeds the USB unit directly (and you have not found it yet) and there is no buried in line fuse in the dash. You could try to remove the USB unit carefully and see what wiring is used in the dash.....might want to remove the fuse that restored the cigar lighter first though.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:21 PM   #10

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I don’t believe the usb has an inline fuse, it is protected by the same #70 under the hood. Two other things to check. The connector under the dash by your right knee. Make sure it has not come lose. And check to see if there is voltage to the usb plug itself and if there is voltage to that connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0825375B-2B38-4916-A305-9F312CB006CE.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	20577   Click image for larger version

Name:	5A4F8AA4-6A2B-4EC4-ABC4-8D16C79E8959.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	20578  

Old 09-30-2019, 12:33 PM   #11

THOR #5259
I am beginning to suspect that the USB outlet is simply plugged into the AXXERA radio unit somewhere and the plug may have come loose. I will play with that idea later today.

Thank you, everyone, for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I don’t believe the usb has an inline fuse, it is protected by the same #70 under the hood. Two other things to check. The connector under the dash by your right knee. Make sure it has not come lose. And check to see if there is voltage to the usb plug itself and if there is voltage to that connector.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:13 AM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Handyman View Post
I am beginning to suspect that the USB outlet is simply plugged into the AXXERA radio unit somewhere and the plug may have come loose. I will play with that idea later today.

Thank you, everyone, for your input.
Yes, that USB and the HDMI are plugged into the back of the radio. Easy to get to if you remove the small storage tray on top of the console above the radio, It is fairly common for those to come loose.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #13

THOR #5259
Thank you, Mike. I had that cover off a couple of days ago and didn't think to look at the radio unit. Duh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavemike View Post
Yes, that USB and the HDMI are plugged into the back of the radio. Easy to get to if you remove the small storage tray on top of the console above the radio, It is fairly common for those to come loose.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:25 AM   #14

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #14755
Unhappy power point ( cigarette lighter and HDMI under radio

I have had that problem as well. The first outage was for the radio and that was an easy fix once you located the circuit breaker in the stair well in our 2018 Axis...ys found it and it was an easy fix. The hard part was locating it. Now for the cigarette lighter power point not under the driver's seat outside cargo hold but finally located it after a few calls and one to FORD. It was in the engine compartment ( looking at the front of the grill ) after opening the grill up it was found on the right hand top side of the engine ( upside down with the two tabs for locking facing up) click open the two retaining clips and open bu pulling the top up. The fuze is inside. Locating was not the hard part but gaining access was a but..I had to take the grill off to get to reach in that area. One would think these jerks would make it easily accessible to gain entrance to make the stupid repair. A 10 minute job takes almost two hours to do...wow! I blame not only Thor but FORD for being just as stupid. One would think one of the two would modify and solve the problem by relocating the fuse box to some other area by adding a bit of additional lengths of wire! Give me a freaked brake will ya?
Old 10-07-2019, 12:34 PM   #15

THOR #5259
Piper, in our '17 Axis, which rides on a Ford E-450 chassis, the access to the under-hood drivers side fuses isn't difficult at all. That said, reading the fuse schematic inside the lid of the fuse block, a black on black affair, is impossible. All I can say is that I am glad I don't have to work on these rigs for a living.

My Axxera radio works, but I can't get the USB dash outlet to work. I have traced the wire back into the radio, so I think the dead USB outlet must be an internal radio problem. I'm going to rectify that by wiring in a couple of new USB outlets, probably some time this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper K9 View Post
I have had that problem as well. The first outage was for the radio and that was an easy fix once you located the circuit breaker in the stair well in our 2018 Axis...ys found it and it was an easy fix. The hard part was locating it. Now for the cigarette lighter power point not under the driver's seat outside cargo hold but finally located it after a few calls and one to FORD. It was in the engine compartment ( looking at the front of the grill ) after opening the grill up it was found on the right hand top side of the engine ( upside down with the two tabs for locking facing up) click open the two retaining clips and open bu pulling the top up. The fuze is inside. Locating was not the hard part but gaining access was a but..I had to take the grill off to get to reach in that area. One would think these jerks would make it easily accessible to gain entrance to make the stupid repair. A 10 minute job takes almost two hours to do...wow! I blame not only Thor but FORD for being just as stupid. One would think one of the two would modify and solve the problem by relocating the fuse box to some other area by adding a bit of additional lengths of wire! Give me a freaked brake will ya?