Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #14170
Dead 2018 Thor Quantum

Newbie here...thanks for allowing me in the group!!

Went out to start my Thor Quantum 2018, RS26 and nothing..... chassis battery seems dead... unplugged from shore power, everything is dead.....checked breakers, nothing tripped... about a month and a half ago I found the propane leak detector alarming... reset it and went on about my business....
not sure what to do ... cannot jump start it or use emergency start.... something seems to have tripped?? Power converter??
NEED HELP!!! We were planning a camping trip for my birthday next weekend so...

Old 01-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with your coach specifics but the first thing to resolve is if your use/store switch is in the on position? In most coaches this switch (or 2 switches in my coach) closes a latching relay(s) to connect the coach (and in some coaches like mine, the chassis battery) to the DC loads (lights, fans etc) and converter (charger). Also note that when on shore power it is important to also have the use/store switch in the "on" position to ensure the converter (battery charger) output is connected to the batteries for charging.

Do you have a multimeter (set to DC volts) that you can actually check the batteries with to see if they are actually discharged? 12.6 vdc is typically full charge for wet cell batteries.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Do any of the lights come on, radio, etc? If not, check your master shut off or battery isolator switch - if you have one. Our Palazzo has a storage switch by the door that cuts power, we also have an isolated switch in the battery compartment. Check to see if there is any voltage coming off the switch. Turn it on and off a couple of times, perhaps corrosion in it? Just my thoughts of what I've seen. If there is no power on the D.C. Side and the batteries show voltage a cutout or fuse link is tripped or blown. Is you said, there is nothing when unplugged, there is a transfer issue I think.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #14170
It’s a bad isolator relay and fuse... batteries getting low caused the propane alarm too go off too so that’s something to keep in mind.....
Old 01-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
You have dead batteries. First clue was the Propane alarm going off.

Plug in your coach to shore power, place the USE/STORE switch to USE, ignore the red light if it is already lite and shift to USE anyway.
Get a voltmeter and check both your house and chassis batteries to see if they are charging. If not, you may have some bad relays or open DC circuit breakers and more troubleshooting will be required which we can help you with.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote