Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2020, 09:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: North Carolina
THOR #19382
Dead Batteries

Hi All! We went out to the Four Winds in order to get ready for our next trip tomorrow and the batteries were deader than a door nail. The two batteries that are under our stairs that is, not the coach.

If we plug the camper into the house will that charge the batteries?

Interesting this happened because they are both brand new. When we went to check out the camper the batteries were dead and they replaced them.

As always TIA for your help!!

Cat

Camping- Where Friends & Marshmallows Get Toasted At The Same Time.
2017 Thor Four Winds - wherever the road takes us!
KrisCatNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:54 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Try plugging in, and setting the "Use/Sore" switch to "Use", (it might be labelled"On"), and give it 24 hours.
Good luck!
Old 08-06-2020, 10:04 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: North Carolina
THOR #19382
Thanks Bob! Will give it a try.
Camping- Where Friends & Marshmallows Get Toasted At The Same Time.
2017 Thor Four Winds - wherever the road takes us!
KrisCatNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:40 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Obvious something is drawing your batteries down pretty quickly while in storage. If you’re using your “store switch” you should be able to store without power for at least several weeks. I got tired of worrying about it so added a small (80W) solar panel and it has been way more than adequate fo keeping my two house batteries and coach battery all topped up. Summers have long sunny days, winter not so much so I probably will add a second panel in the fall. Not sure it’s really needed but certainly can’t hurt either.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:34 PM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
The "store/use" switch does not/will not totally disconnect your house batteries, the CO/LP detector, digital clocks & motors to electric slides to name a few items are not disconnected through that switch & the batteries WILL be dead in a matter of days not weeks. The only total disconnect is to disconnect the negative cable that goes directly to ground or put a manual disconnect on that cable.
Repeated total discharge of the batteries severely shorten their lifespan, so either leave it plugged to shore power with the switch to "use" or disconnect the cables if stored for extended periods.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:07 AM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
The "store/use" switch does not/will not totally disconnect your house batteries, the CO/LP detector, digital clocks & motors to electric slides to name a few items are not disconnected through that switch & the batteries WILL be dead in a matter of days not weeks. The only total disconnect is to disconnect the negative cable that goes directly to ground or put a manual disconnect on that cable.
Repeated total discharge of the batteries severely shorten their lifespan, so either leave it plugged to shore power with the switch to "use" or disconnect the cables if stored for extended periods.

That has not been my experience.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:32 AM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
If you have the ability to keep it plugged in while storing, just leave the use/store in the use mode. As was explained earlier there is always a drain even when the store switch is activated. I just replaced both of my house batteries after one died and the other was on it's way. They were 2017 batteries in my 2018 Thor Siesta. I replaced them with wet cell Marine 12 volt batteries that were on sale at our local auto parts shop.

Paul
Old 08-07-2020, 02:04 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
You don't mention if you're prewired for solar. If you are, a solar panel would help out.

You mention plugging it in to the house. If you have a volt meter, measure them and see if there's any improvement. It won't explain whether the batteries can hold a charge, only they take one. That would be an insight.

If you use a storage lot, all that's out the window.