Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2018, 12:45 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Dead Chassis Battery

The Heat Index was 107F when I was flushing the water system this AM. So, I turned A/C on fore and aft. However, when I was done I turned off shore power and forgot to turn off front with the "USE" button. As a result, hours later I had a dead battery. So dead I could not use the backup start system.

That turned out to be a good thing since it happened in the driveway instead of in the middle of nowhere. I had all the tools I needed to remove the pax flop-down desk. And, it gave me access to a few things I needed to properly re-seal opening plus I discovered a new tool.

Once I got the everything opened up I decided to go ahead and check the water in the battery. Needless to say it had never been serviced in its 3 years of lifetime. Thought a few minutes about how I would fill the cells and recalled I had a old marinade injector. Using the injector I filled all the cells with minimum spillage. Hooked up the battery charger/starter and in less than 5 minutes I had the Vegas running again.

In re-sealing the opening, before putting the desk back in place, I decided to screw a couple of flanges on the board I cut out. This prevents it from falling through. I then took some aluminum tape and sealed the edges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bat1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	11085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bat2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	11086  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bat3.jpg