Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 30.2
State: California
THOR #9323
2017 ACE Front Wheel Alignment

How much should I expect to do front wheel alignment to be? One place that specializes in motorhomes and big trucks wants a little over $500.00. Seems real expensive to me compared to a car.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Keep looking! I realize things cost more in CA, but it shouldn't be much north of $150 in most of the country.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #3

Model: Ace 30.2
THOR #9323
Supposedly they will be weighing the motor home, set the correct tire pressure and fill tires with i believe nitrogen?
Old 05-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletskop View Post
Supposedly they will be weighing the motor home, set the correct tire pressure and fill tires with i believe nitrogen?

JMHO here. I'm not convinced that N in RV tires is worth much. Air is already 78% N! Weighing the coach a good thing, but you can do this cheaply at many truck stop scales. Look up CAT scales near you for that. You should load the RV like you would to travel when you have it aligned.
You'll get more opinions here and I could easily be wrong, but I think those folks are charging you too much.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #5

Model: Thor Ace 30.4
State: Texas
THOR #8470
If you happen to still be in warranty, Ford will do this. Just depends on when you purchased in 2017.
We had ours aligned under Ford Warranty at 5000 miles.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:25 AM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
My alignment at a truck place was $120. However it seems to be not unusual for some rigs to require a camber kit to allow for more adjustment than the factory configuration. I did not need this (or even any adjustment at all) but I think I recall them saying that if I did the parts and labor would be an additional $250 or so. Perhaps your shop was just quoting a worst case estimate. FWIW, neither Ford nor Thor covered mine even though it was brand new. Apparently it is considered a maintenance item. It is worth doing either way. Good luck.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:01 PM   #7

Model: Thor Ace 30.4
State: Texas
THOR #8470
Covered under warranty

Ford did cover ours, we have issues with not staying in lane, pulls to right, steering vibration, and wobble. Original alignment by Ford at 5000, after tire rotation (paid by us ). Issues continue at 8000 miles. Thor now having alignment re-checked in conjunction with Ford at Rush Trucks (service for Ford chassis). This is being handled through dealer warranty service department.
It does not drive well or stay in its own lane. Ongoing issue since purchase but after months of follow up with dealer , at least manufacturers now addressing.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:35 AM   #8

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6892
Had my axis done at a truck service place while on the road in Minnesota, was around $200 and it was well worth it. I don't know how I drove from CA to there without it. World of difference.