Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2015, 03:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Tuscany 40EX
State: South Dakota
THOR #1260
Dealer repairs

Today we are headed to our dealer De Martini in Grass Valley Ca for 2 days with the MH to start having warranty work started. This is 4.5 hrs away for us. I have been working with Thor to make sure that we have parts sent from the Thor factory a head of time so we do not have to wait weeks for most of the repairs.. I also had contacted CR at Thor to make sure that both dealer & Thor are working together to make this happen.

Pictures and a list were sent to both a head of time to make sure we can get as much done this go around, we know this is just the first of many trips. I expect Thor to stand behind every issue and that was stated by QR it will be done to our satisfaction. Actions will speak louder than words. I will keep you posted as to how all went with the repairs. Please keep your fingers crossed that all goes well. De Martini as a dealer has one of the best reps in the country.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Thor, (and all other RV manufacturers), will not send warranty replacement parts ahead of time without authorization. The corporate authorization requires the dealership's warranty technician to send pictures of every defective part, and a detailed parts list required for the repair.

It sounds like your dealership accepted your pictures, and have already received Thor Corporate authorizations. That's very unusual, but nice if they did.

With my current motorhome as my forth RV, (and learning the hard way for weeks the very first time), I'm now in and out of any, (Fleetwood, Jayco, Winnebago, and Thor), dealership warranty service department within 24 hours.

I'll NEVER leave an RV at the dealership's service department to wait for warranty work.

1. Ask for a detailed list of necessary parts from the service writer on the day of the service quote. Then I'll drive the motorhome as usual at my leisure until parts and authorizations arrive, (assuming there are no mechanical issues preventing still having a good time). I'll schedule a vacation trip around the dealer visit so that I don't waste my fuel or time.

2. Confirm with the service writer that all warranty work has been approved by Thor Corporate before you arrive to drop off the motorhome for service.

3. I confirm with the parts department manager at the dealership to ensure that all parts, (the correct parts verified by the actual service technician that will perform the work), have arrived there and are waiting.

4. Confirm with the service writer that your motorhome is scheduled to be serviced on the drop-off day.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 32.1
State: Florida
THOR #611
Good Tip

Good idea Beacher. Waiting for parts takes time. Much better to have the coach home.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:39 PM   #4

Model: 2015 Tuscany 40EX
State: South Dakota
THOR #1260
Well they did! We have also had 4 other high end RV's and never had repair problems like this. We cannot drop off the RV, we are living in it for the next year. I have confirmed that everything with Thor & dealer and I am the one who sent the pic, #'s list, etc to Thor and dealer I did all the leg work.

I am a retired NASA QC engineer & have worked as a project & R & D Design engineer from Silicon Valley CA. So I make sure it will be done right.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:45 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Beacher, thanks for the service advice. I, too, learned the hard way by dropping mine off at a CW for warranty work and not getting it back for 6 weeks later. But what if the problem will require troubleshooting as most repairs seem to do unless it is cosmetic perhaps? The service departments never seem to want to work according to your schedule (i.e., pulling the coach into a bay right away to check it) and seem to only want to repair one issue at a time when there may be several. Just curious as to how you work around this? Thanks in advance.